• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Radiator's trans cooler for race car's engine oil?

klr142

Turbo, what?
On the General Leif Erland Cox is recommending we run an oil cooler, such as the 940 turbo oil/water cooler setup. We don't have a lot of room but it might be possible, the only issue is we already run an Accusump and have the oil filter relocated on the car. We just put a new 240/740 radiator in the car and I was looking at the transmission cooler fittings sitting there doing nothing and it got me thinking.

Has anyone plumbed engine oil to those fittings before? The diameter of those fittings is smaller than the other plumbing we use, so I wonder if that's going to be an issue. Obviously it's not designed for engine oil, but I am curious if it could work.

I'm not sure what the internal geometry of that particular cooler is, but my shop mate was running an air to air trans cooler for engine oil cooling on his VW diesel. It created a 50psi pressure drop across the cooler at lower revs. So I'd recommend not going down to 3/8" hose for your engine oil :)

Bar and plate oil coolers are pretty cheap these days.

I'm not sure what the internal geometry of that particular cooler is, but my shop mate was running an air to air trans cooler for engine oil cooling on his VW diesel. It created a 50psi pressure drop across the cooler at lower revs. So I'd recommend not going down to 3/8" hose for your engine oil :)

Bar and plate oil coolers are pretty cheap these days.

Pretty sure the transmission lines are 5/16:8mm , I tried to use it for a power steering cooler,. I can't remember why but I ended up with a stand alone PS cooler,

You will not get enough oil flow, 5/16" line, in the trans cooler. I run-10 lines on the V8 Wagon/remote filter, -8 on the MG'S also remote filters, and you will heat the coolant. I have a stand alone 15 row cooler on the V8 Wagon,11row on my MG Midget,11row on my MGB.

Had a rx7 oil cooler with thermostatic sandwich plate for oil cooler and a doral air to air trans cooler. The fittings are -5an on the trans I think. I had a thread on the bookmarked and it’s mentioned in my build thread. 10an hose for the oil cooler and 6an hose for the trans.

I always had good oil pressure. 25-30psi at idle and 40+ while driving.

Back