• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 swap: How much tunnel clearance for a slip yoke?

Shinchan

Finally getting things where I need to to measure for the length of the front driveshaft for my T5 swap in my 142. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention and the T5 slip yoke that I got is a 1330 instead of a 1310. The yoke rotates freely, and at the tightest point of the rotation it comes within about 3/16-1/4" of the tunnel. Is this enough clearance, or am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy another $80 slip yoke?

Just run it. It will self-clearance as needed. :lol:

But srsly, it sort of depends on your trans mount, and to a lesser amount your engine mounts - how much they let the trans end wiggle around.

heavy-duty engine mounts, and a firm poly trans mount to a solid cross-member.
The mount is pretty close to the tail of the trans. I'm going to run it and see what happens.
If I have clearance issues then I'll swap out the slip.

Just run it. It will self-clearance as needed. :lol:

But srsly, it sort of depends on your trans mount, and to a lesser amount your engine mounts - how much they let the trans end wiggle around.

I initially ran my T5 on a stock mount (chunk of angle iron between it and the T5) and that was pretty wiggly. Then I used a Yoshifab crossmember and a solid poly T5 mount, far, far less wiggling around with that.

I've got the same Yoshifab setup, and just a regular slip-yoke. I've got a few little odds&ends that I need to wrap up, but I think it should be drivable the next time I get over there to work on it.

When I did the T5 swap in my '80 16VT, I started out with a 1330 U-joint yoke driveshaft that came with my transmission (SN95 V6), and it definitely made contact with the body under load with a stock Mustang style rubber transmission mount - but was fine under daily/street conditions. A 1310 was fine in it, as well as on the similarly-placed TKO on my '93 LSx car.

So, I just got my swap on the road for the first time last night. It's just got the regular style slip-yoke. One of my big concerns in this endeavor has been all of the talk around vibrations and noise.

All I did was eye-ball the driveshaft alignment. I was just trying to make it drivable. Took it for a couple test drives, about 20 minutes total. So far, it's great. I mean, the whole reason for the swap was the issue with m47s bearing deteriorating and being noisy in 3rd and 5th. At this point, I'd call this is a success in my book...

Back