• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Setting the Distributor and Timing

stayathomedad

Hey all, I've noticed that when I have the B230 motor running the only way it's happy is if I have the dizzy turned all the way counterclockwise to the point that it maxes out on the bolt. I'm finding this is proving to be difficult to actually get it timed correctly as I can't move it anymore.
Can I remedy this by moving the dizzy one tooth and if so which way?
Is a good baseline timing roughly 12 degrees?
And lastly, what is a good idle RPM for these motors?
Thanks!!!!

I'm assuming LH2.2 (what year is your 240?), so idle timing should be 12deg @ 750 rpm (IIRC). When wrenched over to TDC, the end of the disti rotor should roughly be over the scribe line in the edge of the disti housing.

First of all, was there any recent work done to the vehicle?

Dropping the block-mounted distributor in place can be a little tricky. You gotta start ahead of the mark and it will "twist" in as it meshes with the gear.

Year/make/model, please.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. As far as work goes, I started with a donated B230 (unsure which vehicle it came out of). I put a 531 head on it and stuck a V cam into it. As I mentioned it is running and seems to be happy with where the dizzy is sitting right now, but it's only "timed by ear" which is why I'd like a little more play to see if it would be happier if I'm able to move it even further clockwise.
I'll open the dizzy up today, wrench the motor over to 0 degrees TDC and see where the rotor is lining up in relation to the scribe line. Hopefully that'll free up some space to turn the dizzy a bit so I can get it timed to the 12 degrees at 750 rpm.

What year is your car? What year is your engine? Well its a b230 we know that. You can check your vibration damper also as they are know to slip, so your timing mark is always off. Best to find tdc on #1 cylinder and go from there. Take plug out stick long screwdriver in there and rotate engine over by hand till it goes up and stops moving before going back down. 24mm is the socket on the crank fyi. Once you have that done peek inside the valve cover under the oil cap to see of both cam lobes are at 10 and 2 position on the #1 cylinder lobes and or your cam gear matches the dot on the timing cover. IF that all checks ok then you can proceed to do ignition timing. Double check your damper mark to see where it is, should be on "0" off the lower timing cover. Then check the rotor inside the distributor as shown above.

Alright guys, I've done all the above and when the rotor is pointing at the scribe line I get a no start and backfire through the carbs. I don't know what's going on. The only way it starts is when the rotor is pointing at the number one spark plug wire on the distributor cap (roughly 5:30 when looking from the front of the engine) at 0 degrees TDC and number one cylinder valves are at 10 and 2. When it's in this position I have to turn the housing as far counter-clockwise as it will go to keep it running which barely gives me 0 degrees with the timing light.
I remember reading a suggestion of setting the rotor to point between 5:30 and 6:00 but again, I can't get it timed to 12 degrees at this setting and it only runs when the housing is turned completely counter clockwise.

#1 on the cap should not be before 6 o'clock if you are standing in front of the engine, unless your plug wires are run incorrectly (that "scribe" should be where #1 is on the cap)

facing the front of the engine the orientation of the wires should look like this

1539d1257384226-firing-order-plug-wires-dist-cap-00000009.jpg

Last edited:
That makes a whole lot more sense. Using your diagram I'm pretty sure my wires look like this

To finally get it running with 12 degrees I had to fit the distributor with the rotor pointing around 6:35/40, which completely makes sense!

When I get the next chance to work on it I'll move the rotor to point at the scribe mark and move the wires to the correct position. Geez, no wonder it didn't want to run when the rotor was pointing at the scribe. It was set to fire the number 3 cylinder first!

Thanks so much!!!

Back