• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Swap B230FT for B20F engine in volvo 1800

PaulLittell

Hi All,

I?m glad to be joining the forum. Please excuse me if I?m repeating an existing thread, but I could not find anything on this:

Has anyone installed a 940 Turbo engine [B230FT] and trans in place of the B20F engine in an 1800ES or P1800? If so how can I contact, get info and photos?

I?m dreaming that it?s a bolt-in.

Is there a meaningful weight difference?

Many thanks to all,
Paul

Last edited:
Also - what year is your 1800? I think at some point the tunnels got wider to allow for the optional automatic offered later on in production. I think it would be far easier to fit an AW trans into a later model 1800 vs. an early one.

EDIT: N/M, I see you ar replacing a B20F now, it should have the wider tunnel.

Last edited:
This should probably go in performance/modifications. Don't be surprised if a mod moves it.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but it's probably not going to be a direct bolt-in. The redblocks sit at an angle, whereas your stock B20 is straight. I'm sure someone else on here has done a swap like that, so hopefully you can dig up some info on mounts.

As for weight, I'd imagine that with a turbo and manifold, there isn't much of a weight difference between an all-cast B20 and the alu-head B230s. If anything, I'd expect it to weigh a little less.

Now, on a slightly unrelated note, are you going to be selling that B20F when you're done?

I'm installing a B23F NA engine, slanted, into my 1800ES. There is a link to my project thread in my sig.

Even slanted, intake and exhaust manifold clearance is something that has to be dealt with. Upright will open up your options vastly on the exhaust side, however it extremely limits your space on the drivers side for the intake to clear the brake booster and master.

I am (attempting) using Yoshifab brackets with mine, however I am fighting clearance issues with the brackets resting on the crossmember in the only orientation that would allow the oil pan to clear. I am working on it with Josh right now to get the brackets sorted so they will work with an 1800 better.

Thanks for the thoughts. The research begins.

Answer to you not-at-all unrelated question. I will likely be selling it. 66,000 original miles.

Back