• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Muellers '78 242 project, warning, it's ugly right now :)

Nice to work on the car...

diesel motor mounts going in....passenger side, need to remove the cast aluminum one and replace with the steel one, notice that it bolts on using the bolt for the a-arm.

Attachments

• pass_mount.jpg
    pass_mount.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 989
I still need to model the uprights, found this software called 123D Catch that allowed me to use my phone as a 3D scanner, it looks okay, no idea how accurate, will find out soon.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iPQnwGOLcak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Adjustable heim joints for the rear suspension....1/2" for the upper arms and 7/8" for the lower arms (lower arms take more abuse on these uprights)

I'm also working on my Bridgeport mill, replacing the variable ratio pulleys with a standard pulley setup. Since I have a VFD running the spindle motor I can have the software change the rpms.

As usual, I screw something up, I broached for a 3/8 keyway when instead it was 5/16, so a stepped key is in order. Since the mill is down, I had to modify one and cut it on my lathe.

Attachments

• heim joints.jpg
    heim joints.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 737
  • oldsetup.jpg
    oldsetup.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 738
  • newsetup.jpg
    newsetup.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 734
  • IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 702
Last edited:
CNC mill is up and running again, still need to program the VFD and wire it up to my breakout board and then program Mach 3 to control it, sometime this week.

More new parts for the Volvo, picked up my brand new axles today, these will be used until I finish the 930 CV joint mod which is on hold until I do some work to my lathe.

Attachments

• new axle.jpg
    new axle.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 694
That 123 catch looks interesting, what file format do you get the parts in?

3d imaging protip. Use a monotone back drop preferably dark to be the background when doing that type of stuff. it makes post processing much easier.

Picked up a donor vehicle today, 744 Turbo Diesel, low miles, fuel system problems, hopefully minor, if not, I have a few spare parts I've been stocking up on lately.

Car was taken care of, not bad shape for how old it is. The interior is nice as well. I'd drive as a daily if the chassis was not spoken for already.

I got home around 6pm and started the process of taking out the motor and transmission, 12am now and time to go to bed. I think everything is loose or disconnected.

In the morning I'll put my cherry picker together and attempt to pull the motor out, then go deliver the chassis to it's new owner.

Attachments

• 744d24t-04.jpg
    744d24t-04.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 835
  • 744d24t-03.jpg
    744d24t-03.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 614
  • 744d24t-02.jpg
    744d24t-02.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 840
  • 744d24t-01.jpg
    744d24t-01.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,146
So is this thing seriously going diesel?

Yep, pretty much committed now.....

8:30AM this was on my driveway....heavy sucker to pull out by myself, but I got it done.

About 1/2 hour later Shane showed up and helped me push it up the driveway into the other garage space.

The exhaust all appears to be fairly new, Walker muffler, no idea if stock diameter or not, not quite 3"..will have to measure.

Now to pick up an intercooler since in was an non-intercooled car.

Dropped the chassis off to it's new owner this morning as well.

Attachments

• d24t-01.jpg
    d24t-01.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 527
  • d24t-02.jpg
    d24t-02.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
Back