• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

That mushy feeling

2 old for this

At first sign of trouble the brake pedal felt like it was falling. Next was excessive pedal travel. Yes we have a master cylinder failing. Question is who sells the best bang for the buck? I need one for abs.

I've rebuilt master cylinders...if a kit is available, it would be cheap to rebuild.

I don't think ABS was around in 1978

Rock Auto has a reman Cardone and a new Raybestos ABS master.

If 1993 is used, they add a Wagner

WAGNER MC108065 {#F108065}

Volvo OEM number was 1330800, but has been changed to

Part Number: 8111006
Supersession(s): 271498; 1330800

Genuine Classic Part

Fits 240, 260

This product fits 94 vehicle variants.
Volvo: 94 variants between 1975 and 1993.
=============

I don't know if ABS uses a larger bore or not, but it appears they make a single master to fit "all"

I've rebuilt master cylinders...if a kit is available, it would be cheap to rebuild.

I don't think ABS was around in 1978

First I heard of it was late 70's or early 80's working in the two-way radio industry. High power mobile transmitters were causing trouble with heavy dump trucks and semi-tractors so equipped.

High power mobile transmitters were causing trouble with heavy dump trucks and semi-tractors so equipped.

Somewhere in later 1970s, there were semi-trailers available with ABS, but users of CB radios with high-powered amplifiers affected this ABS system by WABCO, is what I recall hearing, as in no effective braking action on trailer when affected by CB radio.

Wiki indicates this type of braking system was available on select passenger car vehicles since about 1971.
==========

Sidebar

From a Meritor WABCO manual on trailer brakes

Nov 19, 2015

What is PLC communications?

PLC stands for Power Line Carrier, which is a method used to communicate information by
multiplexing data on the same wire used for the ABS electrical power. PLC communications
convert signal message data to a radio frequency (RF) signal on top of the +12V power line
providing electrical power to the trailer.

Footnote - Anti skid braking was considered years ago for heavy vehicles

On October 11, 1967, the predecessor of NHTSA, the FHWA?s National Highway Safety Bureau, published a notice of its intention to promulgate brake standards for hydraulic and air-braked trucks and buses, and air-braked trailers. (32 FR14279.)......The ??no lockup?? provision was intended to minimize skidding, (page 3 in PDF)

....new safety technology is compromised by building driver overconfidence in them.

I rather suspect many drivers tend to be clueless in emergency type situations, and road conditions requiring skills. Anti-skid braking, which FHWA proposed in 1967 for trucks/buses, clearly showed there was a need, as based upon accident histories.

But, having tech like 4x4 propulsion in automobiles can give drivers a sense of confidence until they find out the hard way these vehicles can't stop as well as they can be propelled in winter conditions.

ABS usage in snow/semi-ice conditions can assist in braking, but to my awareness, I've never needed ABS. However, "many drivers tend to be clueless in emergency type situations," and I would prefer them to be stopping in their driving lane, not in my face.

The reality is a good ABS system can out brake any human being any time, anywhere. I wouldn't want any of my cars to not have it. I disable the stability control on my cars when racing them. Someday, the stability control systems may actually be able to "out drive" a good driver. As of now, they aren't quite there yet.

I disable the stability control on my cars when racing them.

Wiki - During a moose test, Swedish journalist Robert Collin of Teknikens V?rld rolled a Mercedes A-Class (without ESC) at 78 km/h in October 1997.[18] Because Mercedes-Benz promoted a reputation for safety, they recalled and retrofitted 130,000 A-Class cars with ESC. This produced a significant reduction in crashes, and the number of vehicles with ESC rose. The availability of ESC in small cars like the A-Class ignited a market trend; thus, ESC became available for all models (whether standard or as an option).

my dad's 1962 facel II had an early rear only anti-lock system on it and a 413 max wedge motor
drove the state inspection guys nuts on their brake tests until he learned to cheat with the hand brake

Back on the road. Only glitch was one of the plastic bleeder nipples broke due to the clear hose was stiffer than a iron pipe. Found a old one and got it done.

my dad's 1962 facel II

Facel Vega 'Facel II - It may have had a dual circuit brake system in 1962, which would have been very uncommon for typical production vehicles then. In 1962, Cadillac had a dual-circuit braking system. In 1960, Wagner Electric filed a patent for a dual-cylinder brake system. Federal government mandated all autos to have it in 1967,

Here's a pic, which shows master cylinder on passenger side.

Here's a listing for one up for sale.

Back