• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

late model 240 gas tank into early 240?

Rockmonton

hey guys, now that i'm going to a walboro 255, i was wondering if i could ditch the failing fuel pump on my 76' 264 along with the cracked tank and leaky accumulator for the tank from a 93' 244. the lines arent a huge issue, but actually mounting it may be. Does anyone know if it'll physically bolt in the same way? it should, should it not?

The early tank is different than the later tank by how the filler tube is connected. A later tank is backwards compatible with the early tank but make sure you get the filler tube with the tank and always use a new clamp and o-ring when you put it in (Use a Volvo clamp and o-ring, others leak) You also need the big rubber donut, not a new one but if the '76 doesn't have one which I think is correct, you need that also from the doner car.

Volvo had a recall for the early 240's and the 1974 140's, involving leaky fuel tanks. The recall entailed installing a 1978-on tank into the early cars. Essentially what you're doing, but with new parts. Not sure if Canada also had the recall. If they did, it might be worth it to go to the dealer and see if the recall is still open. If it is, then get it done and you'll have brand new parts, instead of the parts from your old 244.

-J

sweet. mostly the dying pump / throttling issues are killing me, but it should be fun, i'll have to pick up a doughnut and clamp though since i cant find mine.

Back