• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Auto trans vs manual

90volvo

Volvo 240 +T. Street driver with 17lbs boost; 19t turbo; npr intercooler; 3.73 gears w/ locker; V cam advanced 4. Which would be fastest auto AW71 or T5 manual.

Fastest at what?

If you want to drag race, the auto will be quicker in most instances.

I have had several AW71s fail prematurely over the years. One was a $3k Art Carr special that failed at 11k miles. One was a 740T (nearly stock) at 100k miles. And one was in my 242T 150 miles from home when it was still stock at 160k miles. Since then I would not own an auto 240. But it helps if you just plain love shifting gears. If you don't, then auto may be for you.
Dave

If you want to drag race, the auto will be quicker in most instances.

I have had several AW71s fail prematurely over the years. One was a $3k Art Carr special that failed at 11k miles. One was a 740T (nearly stock) at 100k miles. And one was in my 242T 150 miles from home when it was still stock at 160k miles. Since then I would not own an auto 240. But it helps if you just plain love shifting gears. If you don't, then auto may be for you.
Dave

Im talking 1/4 mile sorry I didnt state that. Anyways thanks for reply dave. Im running a M47 right now which I know isnt gonna hold forever when I do my next upgrade on turbo ect. I hate the feeling of an auto but never driven one with a turbo under the hood. So maybe it wont be as bad as I think. Thought about the T5 swap but looks like its costly and still not problem proof. To bad about the Art Carr. Ive read some of your post about it. I used to drag race ford back in the day. We used C4 trannies remember something about good castings and bad valve body casings. But sometimes a perfectly good tranny would go south. Was normally warpage of v.body. Anyways Im assuming your running T5? or Getrag?

Back