• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Locaton a 4.10 LSD

TyLaw15

Locating a 4.10 LSD

In search of an Eaton 4.10 LSD for my project 240. I know that all 91+ 700/900 should have a locker, but they are mainly 3.73 due to the overwhelming amounts of automatics. Does this mean I need to find a 91+ 700 turbo w/ M46? Where else can I get a 4.10 LSD, and what would be the major differences if I were to go 3.73 LSD vs the 4.10 LSD, would I knotice a big difference?

TY

TyLaw15 said:
In search of an Eaton 4.10 LSD for my project 240. I know that all 91+ 700/900 should have a locker, but they are mainly 3.73 due to the overwhelming amounts of automatics. Does this mean I need to find a 91+ 700 turbo w/ M46? Where else can I get a 4.10 LSD, and what would be the major differences if I were to go 3.73 LSD vs the 4.10 LSD, would I knotice a big difference?

TY

the 740 16V's have the Dana 30 4.10/1 but you probably already know that.

i thought manual trannys had a taller gear(smaller number)? so you'd be looking for an auto rear end to get a 4.10, right? and whouldn't the manual tranny be an m47 in a 91? i thought they stopped using the m46 in the 80's

but i may be wrong

004 your prob right i wasnt thinkin.. any suguestions on where i can pick one up?? anyone on the board got one cheeper than a yard?

TY

Last edited:
all regina equipped 740s and 940s had either a 4.10 or a 4.30 in some wagons for some markets,but i dont think all or even some were Limited slip.

I run a 3.73 (stock ratio on most auto 700's) behind my m46. 1st gear goes by waay too fast. The m46 is supposed to run a 3.54 axle behind it. I might put in my 3.30 Eaton locker from a 1993 940 auto. I heard the rumor that ALL 93+ 940's have the Eaton locker. NA or turbo.

240T with M46 used a 3.73. 1st is on the short side. People have used 3.91s with the M46. Obviously, 1st is even shorter, but still useable.

Philip Bradley

guidom12345 said:
I run a 3.73 (stock ratio on most auto 700's) behind my m46. 1st gear goes by waay too fast. The m46 is supposed to run a 3.54 axle behind it. I might put in my 3.30 Eaton locker from a 1993 940 auto. I heard the rumor that ALL 93+ 940's have the Eaton locker. NA or turbo.

My 93 945T has a 3.73 rear. I believe all 940 from either 92 or 93 have the Eaton. I believe all 240 from the same year (meaning pretty much the end of the 240 series) also have the Eaton, but I am not sure about that. I read somewhere that non turbo 940 have a lower (higher numerical) rear (4.10), but have not verified this. If so, it might be an alternative to the 740 16V 4.10 auto rear that some search for.

To get a higher rear (lower numerical), you may have to go to a manual 7 series rear or maybe an early 960 wagon rear. 960 sedans had IRS, but the wagons did not get it until much later, so they have the solid axle. I am pretty sure it is a standard Volvo 7/9 series axle. I think that it is lower numerically, but am not sure. I bought a 93 965 for salvage purposes and have some recollection of taking a look at the owner's manual and noticing this.

Beware when swapping rears from later into earlier cars and vice versa that the speedo drives may not be compatible. The drive changed in 88 or 89. Also beware that ABS axles may be different than non ABS axles.

Philip Bradley

guidom12345 said:
I heard the rumor that ALL 93+ 940's have the Eaton locker. NA or turbo.

That's funny, I have a 94 940T wagon, and when I had it jacked up, tires spun opposite ways... So I guess it's just a rumor ;)

also i just baught a 90 16v auto and it spins one wheel. its going on jacks next weekend so i can paint the under side and i will give it the spin test and read the tag. but either its an open diff or the posi is broken...

`pr0digy said:
That's funny, I have a 94 940T wagon, and when I had it jacked up, tires spun opposite ways... So I guess it's just a rumor ;)

No rumor. You have to read up on the differences between a locker and a LSD. Hint: One has preload that always shifts some power over and the other is based on torque.

Philip Bradley

740Weapon said:
also i just baught a 90 16v auto and it spins one wheel. its going on jacks next weekend so i can paint the under side and i will give it the spin test and read the tag. but either its an open diff or the posi is broken...

The 4.10/1 I pulled from a 1990 740 16V was a Dana 1031.

alright now that I have the basic idea where to start looking, how do I identify weather a car is LSD, or Locker? To find gear ratio, obviousaly look at the tag on the rearend, but whats the easist way to differentiate between an LSD and a Locker? What is more desireable for a performance minded 240 w/ B230FT M46/7 ?

TY

The eaton is a locker, not a posi, and has no "preload", so the fact that the tires spin opposite ways when unloaded means nothing, since it *is* and open diff when not locked.
I drove a customer's 92 940t w/ eaton to the shop I work at when it was snowing here. The eaton is a horrible device I would not wish on my worst enemy. You never know WTF it's going to do. I prefer the car simply go sideways and stay there. At least its predictable. :lol:

As was said, find a 4.10 from a 16v as they consistently came with them, then buy a proper posi for it. Diesels historically came with TALLER diffs, not shorter ones, btw. You couldn't even hit highway speeds in a diesel with 4.10's.

I have a good opinion of the Eaton. It is fine. Volvo would not put an unpredictable part in a family car. I have only about 3000 miles experience with one, but so far, I am happy. It might not be what I ultimately put under my hotrod car, but I just might put a spare one that I have there at least for now.

The 16V came out before the Eaton was available. To the extent any 16V have a non open rear, it would be a dealer installed limited slip.

Philip Bradley

Back