home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & suspension

Old 10-18-2003, 04:05 PM   #1
Timbre

What are my options for installing a LSD Differential on my 92 Volvo sedan. My main concern is to retard tire spin in wet and snowy conditions. What can I find locally (Minneapolis, MN), and what type of service will it require to make sure its operating properly and how long do they usually last?

Thanks
Timbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 04:32 PM   #2
80GT
Board Member

This is what you need. http://www.reiderracing.com/truetrac.htm Truetrac LSD. They're about $350 I believe. Or you could scrounge for a Volvo LSD, but it would probably need a rebuild.
80GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 05:17 PM   #3
Chigga 744SE
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit

Volvo LSD sux.

mine only locks up til 25mph.

so I believe for ours is Dana 30 rear? 3.73?
Old 10-18-2003, 05:30 PM   #4
towerymt
the real Towery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadChigga
Volvo LSD sux.

Then it's probably the Eaton unit used in the late model rear ends. If it's a LSD, it will lock up at any speed and it's the clutch type so it should be fairly smooth.
Originally Posted by Poik View Post
244s are drop dead ugly and suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amargill19? View Post
I've always wanted to work in a potato salad factory!
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 07:03 PM   #5
dl242gt
Can play the blues

I second 80GTs recommendation. I've been running my Trac Tec for about 42k miles now. Doesn't need any thing special for car but high quality gear oil. I use Redline in it. The worse the weather the more fun my car is. An expensive but very worth while upgrade.

Happy rolling,
1982 242 turbo. MVP coilover front and rear suspension. Bilstein HD. IPD 25/25 bars. 3" MVP exhaust. Cosworth Sierra hot side T3 .48 with upgraded stock .42 compressor. Ported 90+. D&F flowed 405 with enem V15 cam, True Track diff. Flat hood 1979 front grill Ecode park/turn lights with H4 Hella. 321k miles. Still running well with 322k miles.
1993 245 Classic, 360k miles, enem V15. 5spd. IPD bars and chassis braces. Genuine Volvo stock over the axle exhaust=+30hp
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 08:01 PM   #6
own6volvos
He who controls the Spice

Go to a jeep or offroad place. they will be able to help you :wink:
own6volvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 11:44 PM   #7
towerymt
the real Towery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlot
I second 80GTs recommendation. I've been running my Trac Tec for about 42k miles now. Doesn't need any thing special for car but high quality gear oil. I use Redline in it. The worse the weather the more fun my car is. An expensive but very worth while upgrade.

Happy rolling,
Did you have the ring gear replaced when the truetrac was installed?
Old 10-19-2003, 12:12 AM   #8
745T+
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbre
What are my options for installing a LSD Differential on my 92 Volvo sedan. My main concern is to retard tire spin in wet and snowy conditions. What can I find locally (Minneapolis, MN), and what type of service will it require to make sure its operating properly and how long do they usually last?

Thanks
For you, the Volvo Eaton locker would work fine if you can find one. The Detroit TrueTrac is the best, but you will spend about $300 to have it installed after you spend the $350 (or so) to buy it.
745T+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 12:14 AM   #9
745T+
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt
[quote:e3aa0d23aa="dlot"]I second 80GTs recommendation. I've been running my Trac Tec for about 42k miles now. Doesn't need any thing special for car but high quality gear oil. I use Redline in it. The worse the weather the more fun my car is. An expensive but very worth while upgrade.

Happy rolling,
Did you have the ring gear replaced when the truetrac was installed?[/quote:e3aa0d23aa]

No ring gear replacment is required for using the TrueTrac.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:17 AM   #10
745T+
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt
[quote:ade46c110f="TheMadChigga"]Volvo LSD sux.

Then it's probably the Eaton unit used in the late model rear ends. If it's a LSD, it will lock up at any speed and it's the clutch type so it should be fairly smooth.[/quote:ade46c110f]

I have had both the Volvo LSD (actually a Dana PowerLock if I remember correctly), and the TrueTrac in my car. The TrueTrac is by far the best unit. The clutches in the Dana unit actually cause both rear tires to fight with each other on corners, and you can corner much better with the TrueTrac.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:50 AM   #11
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Na, why get the ring gear replaced? It only had 248k miles on it. It was quiet and in good condition according to the shop that did the work. Just be aware of the extra cost of new ring gear bolts, shims, new pinion and carrier bearings. I also got new axle bearings and had them packed with Redline grease.

I just put a stock 1031 3.73 rear axle in my friends 83 flathood. In return he gave me the rear axle which has some type of BAD clutch pack LSD. Not sure what to do with the thing. I'd much rather just get another Trac Tec. Probably cost three times the price of one to get that thing rebuilt. You shoulda heard the bad one clank...

Happy rolling,

PS: Don't forget to get a new tone ring if you have the electronic speedo and/or ABS.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:13 AM   #12
roundeler
Board Member

Heh, I want it cheap and to do it myself though. I'm curious how my 740 wagon will be handling the winter roads in MN. The info I looked up on the web didn't go into much detail, nor the one on this site.

http://www.turbobricks.org/mods.php?content=lsd

-Mark
89 740 turbowagon
roundeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 02:10 AM   #13
towerymt
the real Towery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745T+
No ring gear replacment is required for using the TrueTrac.
Thanks. I was talking with Greg Wong recently about the TrueTrac, and he asked if I knew whether or not the ring gear needed to be replaced. I've already bought a TrueTrac, so it's just a matter of getting a 3.73 rear end to put it in now.
Old 10-19-2003, 03:01 AM   #14
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundeler
Heh, I want it cheap and to do it myself though.
Well, I wouldn't advise that unless you've setup a ring and pinion before. Also you need a special case spreader tool just to remove and replace the diff. I do know one person here who says they did it themselves but that is the exception. Personally, I wouldn't take a chance after reading the procedure in the manual.

Good luck.
Old 10-19-2003, 03:35 AM   #15
Guido
Board Member

So which exact Dana rear end do Volvo's have? Specifically 740/760 turbo's.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:10 AM   #16
TerribleOne
ZoomZoom

You dont really always need a spreader tool to drop the rear unless it's hella tight. But you will need a magnetic base dial indicator to set the backlash, some paint to diagnose and adjust the drive and coast side patterns and a lift helps alot. If that means greek to you.. I'd reccomend making a good friends with somebody who's got a buttload of tools and knowledge, or take it to a Jeep 4x4 shop.

75 242GL - LS turbo, 4L80E, narrowed four linked 9"

89 244DL- Mazda 2.3 MZR, GT3071R, 5R55E on Electromotive TecGT with Paddle shifters

94 945- Beater

93 965- For sale

91 940SE- Roller, for sale

TerribleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 11:23 AM   #17
745T+
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlot
I just put a stock 1031 3.73 rear axle in my friends 83 flathood. In return he gave me the rear axle which has some type of BAD clutch pack LSD. Not sure what to do with the thing. I'd much rather just get another Trac Tec. Probably cost three times the price of one to get that thing rebuilt. You shoulda heard the bad one clank...

Happy rolling,

PS: Don't forget to get a new tone ring if you have the electronic speedo and/or ABS.
My Volvo LSD had gone bad when I changed to the TrueTrac. I had the TrueTrac installed in a different rear end of the same ratio, and did the axle change myself. After the swap, I took the Volvo LSD in for the 4X4 shop to look at. The cost of having the Volvo LSD rebuilt was within $100 of having another TrueTrac installed. That was easy an easy decision to make. The TrueTrac drives so much nicer.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:37 AM   #18
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
So which exact Dana rear end do Volvo's have? Specifically 740/760 turbo's.
Dana 30. The same unit used in the front of say a Jeep CJ5 or CJ7 to my knowledge.

Best regards,
Old 10-20-2003, 07:38 AM   #19
Guido
Board Member

Thanks for that!
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:31 PM   #20
Greg Wong
Board Member

Hold on a sec Michael, gotta defend my technical knowledge here: I was wondering if you have to buy a new tone ring, or if there is some reason why you can't use the old tone ring. I see people mentioning buying a new tone ring, but is the old one not removable?

The gears themselves should be fine to use again.

Greg
Greg Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:55 PM   #21
745T+
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wong
Hold on a sec Michael, gotta defend my technical knowledge here: I was wondering if you have to buy a new tone ring, or if there is some reason why you can't use the old tone ring. I see people mentioning buying a new tone ring, but is the old one not removable?

Greg
The old tone ring can be removed, but it some applications it would require machining (in my opinion) too much material from the TrueTrac carrier. For the $55, it is not worth using the old tone ring. I have heard the ABS tone rings are large enough to re-use, but not the non-ABS tone rings.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:22 PM   #22
Tuff240
240 Ninja

I guess the I'm "the guy here that changed my own"? Well if I am I have a confession to make. It is actually one of my best friends that does a majority of the work if not all of it. I usually have the car eady to go when he gets here. That way all he has to bother with is the actual diff, ring and pinion change. I have swapped just diffs with no ring and pinion change though. They worked out fine and are still working. I have NEVER needed an expander thing to pull a diff out of a 240 rear end. NEVER EVER!

On a 92 240 you need to make sure you get the correct tone wheel. I have heard that there are a couple different ones for 91-93 240's. Also you will need to specify you are putting the diff in a 240 with the tone ring when ordering the diff I believe. Maybe it's already machined down?

I think the dana 30 comes on the front of the Jeep Cherokee's?

As far as the Volvo LSD go, the late model 7 series ones have given a bad rep to the earlier clutch type LSD's. I have had and used a Volvo clutch type LSD and I like it very much. So much that one is going in my driver 245ti.

My 2 cents.

Patrick (AKA: Group A)
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:50 PM   #23
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Yup you are the man, I meant. When you mentioned doing your own. I recall that you said it was the older 1030 differential. No one had tried a 1031 and when reading the procedure I decided to go with the 4wd shop in my area. That's why I recommend it as not a DIY job. Even though that is much more expensive it was still a very worthy mod that will amortize it's cost well over many miles. I've got 43k on it now.

Now the Trac Tec comes in a model that is supposedly 'preloaded' according to Reiderracing and it's setup for Volvo rwd use. Nice.

Best regards,
Old 10-22-2003, 12:24 AM   #24
towerymt
the real Towery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wong

Greg
OK, I really thought you said ring gear, and who knows, maybe you did and meant tone ring? The thing is, I didn't know what the tone ring was called before John told me recently, so if you had said tone ring, I think I would have asked what it was. :wink: I really don't remember, oh well.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:03 PM   #25
RedBrick
Board Member

Hey,

I checked out that reider racing site...they have a dana 30 rear app listed, 3.73 27 spline. I assume this is designed for the volvo rearend? I have read that 240/740 rearends are different 240 being 1030 the 740 1031...will these unit work on a 740 rearend as well? Thanks for any info.

Later, Jon
RedBrick is offline   Reply With Quote