home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 01-27-2021, 08:36 PM   #501
940 16 valve
Board Member

My 91 940 with B234 came with them. No visible deterioration that I recall when I changed the bushings last at almost 400k kms
Old 01-27-2021, 10:38 PM   #502
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Finally the new aluminum lower control arms and the NOS 396mm stay "radius rods" are installed. While the OE Engineers got it right.... it's "tight" to say the least! With this longer radius rod, you can just barely get both bushings to align and bolt together. Each side assembled, now ready for the strut assemblies next:

And I mean, it is TIGHT. I had to pull this lever out of my bag of tricks to get the radius rod bushing to make up at the chassis steel receiver:

Last, I read the IPD stay poly kit instructions to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. Even though they don't specify it, I cleaned the faces of each poly bushing half, as well as the steel "washer" that registers against it, and lubricated this junction with teflon grease. You can easily see when the LCA articulates up & down, this poly bushing joint must also rotate around the stay radius rod. The teflon grease will just ease this motion. The centre bolt in the stay radius rod will be blue Loctited (242) when the sedan is back sitting on these new suspenders. Here you can see the steel concave washers on either side of the bushed poly joint:

Next - its time for the strut assemblies to rejoin the system, sans QSRCs.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:31 PM   #503
Chilm
Double Dutch

Nice...

Flying Dutchman - Build and goodies thread ;P

=======================================

Volvo 945 - Blue Pearl - LPT Polar 2.3 Limited Edition
B230-FK Turbo - 90+ ported - 15G Ported - Airintake
Erland Cox Regrind - Blabla Chips - 3 inch exhaust
MBC on 0.95 - Wasted Spark - Sponsored by my wife

=======================================
Chilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:41 PM   #504
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

Looking forward to the final alignment specs.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:17 AM   #505
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
What's the weight savings with the aluminum control arms? I've thought about getting a set.
You can do the math:

From my distant engineering memory, aluminium is around 1/3 the mass of steel.

One drawback to the new aluminum style LCAs, is the sway bar end link is the "thru stud" design, so when the LCA articulates the only way for the end link to follow is to bend/deform the poly bushings which I just installed. Perhaps with OEM Volvo rubber bushes, this isn't detectable, but with high density end link bushes, it almost certainly will be. Less lost motion for sure when new, but ultimately these bushes must "creep" and the lost motion will increase. I installed a set of ENERGY SUSPENSION red poly end link bushes, and it is quite stiff material.

Reminder - insert here the tensile strength of the M10 mild steel Volvo end links..... I know lots of enthusiasts install M12 or 7/16" (old school) thread end links, which should have a stupid high tensile strength. The Engineers in the audience know we are talking about the "plastic limit" of the connection..... once it goes plastic, you won't be able to disassemble without threaded joint destruction..... ultimate strength is higher, but irrelevant. Remember those old "stress/strain" graphs.... I sure do

What came off the original cast steel LCAs was a set of old school MVP spherical heim joint connections. ..... obviously articulation doesn't impact that side of the link. If I can't use those in my retirement 242 build, then they will end up in the Underground Swedish Garage Sale.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:32 AM   #506
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Default Front suspension reassembly - the final act

SO, yesterday I had a pretty good day for an old man.

Since the QSRCs are now moot, they have been removed and original ball joint to bottom of strut tube connection has been restored. I had to cut up the original dust shields to get the correctors to clear. Now back to OEM, I removed these cutdown shields and installed good old NOS Sweden shields. Some sweet looking pie plates, don't you think?

Since I'm an anal Engineer, the three fixing screws had to be red Loctited 271, so they never vibrate out while in service. Also of note, the tiny plated steel ABS speed sensor cable mount (on the back side of the shield) is not included with the new replacement shields, and you must drill out the aluminum rivet and re-attach to your new shields. I used a 5/32 diameter rivet with a 0.188~0.250 clamping range. From the hole in the shield/cable mount, it seems that even a larger diameter rivet body would fit..... but that was the largest one I had in the shop. It pulled up just fine, and the ABS speed "pulse tooth sensor" will be secured.

More to come......
Old 02-02-2021, 11:46 PM   #507
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Default Ground Hog Day progress

Looks like 6 more weeks of winter, per Punxsutawney Phil.... I guess they had to drag him out into the snow to confirm it.

Tonight was "torque it all to specs at ride height" night.

So the stay "radius" rod (it does swing a radius, true to the name) requires the rear bushing torqued to 88 +/- 22 lb.ft. ( I went with 100 even). Front conical stay bushing joining the stay radius rod to the new-to-me aluminium LCAs, torqued to 70 lb.ft (blue Loctite 242), and the inboard bushing on the LCA to front subframe, specs say 64 lb.ft., but I'll be damned if you can get a torque wrench on the locknuts due to rack & pinion proximity. I never torque the screw itself; frictional losses and you'll come up short on torque, so I utilized the box wrench x 2 using the DIN standard of "Gutentight".

Both sides, properly torqued and ready for service:

Special thanks to Roy who provided these nice OE sway end links, that I fitted with Energy Suspension red poly bushes. I normally torque these each end, until the "swell" matches the OD of the retention washer. Hopefully they are up to the task:

In a couple days, the old sedan comes out of the SUG and the 2nd road test will be made. Hopefully the strange noises coming from the top of the front coilovers is gone..... I hit those 24mm KONI nuts with the impact at the #2 setting, so hopefully they silence the metallic sounds I heard on the maiden voyage.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:35 PM   #508
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

For reference sake,

At your current ride height, where are the rear spring perch adjusters in their adjustment range.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©

Last edited by blkaplan; 03-05-2021 at 09:49 AM..
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:13 AM   #509
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
At your current ride height, where are the rear spring perch adjusters in their adjustment range.
100% down, possible height. Surely the next step length spring would work.....

The top perch is adjusted solid against the chassis. The 9 even needs a slight sheet metal bend to get the perch fully UP against the body.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:15 PM   #510
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
100% down, possible height. Surely the next step length spring would work.....

The top perch is adjusted solid against the chassis. The 9 even needs a slight sheet metal bend to get the perch fully UP against the body.
100% down means they are raising the car the maximum amount ? or does it mean they are not raising the car at all?
Old 03-07-2021, 02:30 PM   #511
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
100% down means they are raising the car the maximum amount ? or does it mean they are not raising the car at all?
Old 03-08-2021, 02:31 PM   #512
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
A picture = a thousand clarifications.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:25 PM   #513
BillyMaysHere
Board Member

Hard down vs all the way down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Was a sandals-and-socks elbow-patch-cardigan-wearing bearded college-professor 10mph-under-the-limit-in-the-fast-lane typical Volvo buyer from 1993 really caring about some sort of limited edition numbering?
BillyMaysHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:51 PM   #514
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

After eleven plus years, it comes to this:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/c...290047108.html

BaT will only auction it with no reserve....... I'm not taking that gamble. For sure, I'll be cross posting the sedan on the IPD forum as well as SwedeSpeed.

Let the heckling begin.......
Old 03-12-2021, 02:00 PM   #515
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

Well, dang. Good luck, seems like a good price for something as sorted as this.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:54 PM   #516
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Why?
Old 03-12-2021, 05:04 PM   #517
Swedbrick
Board Member

Man, so much work in the last few months, good luck with the sell! Have you considered walking away for a bit from the car? My yearly 3 month winter break with the car in storage does wonders for the motivation, especially this year with the lack of distractions due to lockdown
Swedbrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:30 PM   #518
Coupid
Board Member

940 interiors are so nice! Such a sharp looking car. GLWS
1979 244DL Sold
1986 740+T Sold
1983 242T Sold
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:54 AM   #519
JerryJS8
der Junge

I also had a somewhat forced leave from my project and after a good 6 months I was able to slowly get back to it. At the beginning all the small and annoying things had me spending more time searching for the right bolt than I was able to bolt parts on, but a year later things are quickly picking up speed.

Just saying I needed almost a year before I could stop seeing the project as a task and again became my hobby.

At any rate, GLWS
- 1990 744 16v (pegleg drift can)
- 1992 480 (Renault disaster)

- 1989 745 16v
- 1991 744 (SE) 16v Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordmaschine View Post
Try to recreate and see what happens, our crystall ball servers are currrently down.
JerryJS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:59 PM   #520
Fast740fromSC
Board Member

Quote:
After eleven plus years, it comes to this:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/c...290047108.html

BaT will only auction it with no reserve....... I'm not taking that gamble. For sure, I'll be cross posting the sedan on the IPD forum as well as SwedeSpeed.

Let the heckling begin.......
Don’t do it!
Fast740fromSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #521
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Why?
I'll go into more detail when I write the post mortem for this build.

The basic reason is quite simple: I'm fast approaching retirement! A daily driver will no longer be a requirement.......and as I'm entering the last stage of life, my focus will shift to a Duramax Diesel and a 5th wheel RV to pull around the country
Old 04-02-2021, 10:18 AM   #522
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
I'll go into more detail when I write the post mortem for this build.

The basic reason is quite simple: I'm fast approaching retirement! A daily driver will no longer be a requirement.......and as I'm entering the last stage of life, my focus will shift to a Duramax Diesel and a 5th wheel RV to pull around the country
when you out grandpa a grandpa-mobile.

Impressive.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:05 PM   #523
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Default .... the latest on the sale.....

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/c...311136136.html

The culmination of my 11 year project to "continuously improve" one of the last RWD Volvos. This 92 rust free chassis has the complete drivetrain transferred from a 94 940 Turbo Wagon; the instrument cluster from the donor is also installed and reflects actual drivetrain mileage of 151K miles. This sedan has been upgraded with "the best of the best" that Volvo offered in the 9 series line. The vehicle has never been in the salt, and the vehicle was purchased new in Chattanooga TN. I have a title history search which validates that I am the 4th owner.

The vehicle was professionally repainted in Volvo Polar White, with 2 tone pin striping as well as a new windshield in early 2019. The sedan sits on MSW 16" wheels and TOYO Proxes 4 tires, the latter with less than 10K miles. An optional rear spoiler with 3rd brake light has been added, and a new sunroof NOS seal kit installed. European non-fog E-codes were rebuilt and retrofitted (replacing poor quality DOT lights), and HELLA fog lights added using an Volvo factory wiring harness & relay kit. All 940 badges were stripped from the car, and a one year only S90 trunk lid was added (the sole exception still in original paint). Rear tails were upgraded to 960 versions; the rear cargo area is fitted with a VOLVO cargo liner. European side turning indicators have been added and properly integrated into the wiring harness. The body was gone over by the Dent Doctor, and is very straight (save a single dent he missed on pass. front fender dogleg). A one year only 95 black non-fog grille has been added. An NOS factory power antennae has also been installed.

The drivetrain retains the legendary & reliable 94 redblock B230FT squirter engine, and the matching AW71 automatic trans. The engine has a rebuilt 530 head with new valves, springs, retainers, .010" machined and turbo valve job by GOZA Machine. A B21F intake, converted to EFI by NIW Motoring handles the air and fuel delivery (estimated at 10~15 HP increase). New Bosch S60R injectors are installed, along with a new Bosch IAC valve. The 8V OHC head is fitted with the IPD Turbo cam. Exhaust gases exit via a 90+ manifold, ported to STEALTHfti standards. The turbocharger is a MITSU 19T conversion kit to the TD04 family, from ARD Tuning. The spent gases depart in a custom 3 inch downpipe, with flex pipe and high flow 3 inch CAT. The remainder of the "cat back" exhaust system is 2.5 inch IPD TME Sweden in stainless steel. Incoming air flows are measured by a 3" 012 BOSCH AMM; all cold side and hot side charge pipes & hoses are 3 inch "Big Pipes" by do88.se. The FMIC is also by do88.se, and far exceeds the VOLVO factory intercooler. Boost pressure is currently set to 16psi by a Hallman boost control. The starter is a factory BOSCH rebuild with approx. 23K miles. Engine management is handled by an LH2.4 984 ECU with custom chip to match the modifications (WOT AFRs are 11.5, ideal for a turbo engine). The spark is handled by the BOSCH Goldbox EZK, modifed with BuchaSpark wasted spark system & new BOSCH motorsport coil. The engine torque reaches the 95 1041 rear end fitted with 4.10 final gearing and Dana Pow-R-Lok LSD.

The suspension has likewise been upgraded to adjustable coilovers at all positions, from Kaplhenke Racing LLC. Front springs are 250 lb/in, and the rears 175 lb/in. KONI Sport dampers are installed at all corners. The front sway is an IPD 25mm gold bar, the rear a factory Volvo 940 wagon bar. The front suspension LCAs were just upgraded to the latest aluminum versions, and the control radius "stay rods" were just fitted with 396mm NOS versions to maximize caster. An IPD lower chassis brace has been installed, as well as 960 crossmember braces.

Braking systems have also been optimized, upgrading the servo booster to the best 95 version as well as the pedal assembly, so to maximize braking feel. Front rotors have been upgraded to 302mm European versions from Zimmermann, the largest rotor that will fit within a 16 inch wheel. Front calipers are 850 versions and use factory upgrade mountings from SKANDIX Germany. Ceramic brake pads are by AKEBONO. Rear calipers are stock, and Zimmerman cross drilled rotors are again used. All 4 wheels use stainless steel teflon brake hoses.

There is much, much more that I have complete records of but won't list here. Serious inquiries will be provided with the link to the build thread for this vehicle, as well as a complete spreadsheet documenting the total expenditure and all components used to build this sedan (I have receipts north of $15K, and that excludes all "stage zero maintenance" which of course is complete). The AC system has been completely replaced with new parts, with the exception of the evaporator; conversion to R134a is complete.

Yes, this 1992 Swedish sedan is expensive..... but as I've stated you couldn't build this car for $15K. Just check recent auctions on BringATrailer.... these RWD Swedish tractors are increasing in value each year.

Finally - no trades, no help needed selling, no out of the lower48 state buyers need apply, no agents needed. I know this sedan will take a while to sell, and I'm in no hurry. The right buyer will know what I've got

do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
Old 04-23-2021, 01:16 PM   #524
Mueller
Board Member

Beautiful 940, hope you get what you are asking for it. Congrats on the upcoming retirement.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:57 AM   #525
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
Beautiful 940, hope you get what you are asking for it. Congrats on the upcoming retirement.
Thank you sir! I've got a pair of gents interested in the sedan, so we shall see.

After 39 years of engineering & manufacturing work, I'm ready for stage 4 of life!