home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 01-27-2021, 01:53 PM   #1
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

Default Looking for documentation of B230 intake badness

Plenty of folks have said the stock intake on B230s flows poorly or can't support such and such amount of power.

Does anyone here have proof? Not necessarily looking for super anal climate controlled engine dyno testing, but something adjacent to back to back testing that would prove the inadequacy of the stock manifold at a given power level beyond a reasonable doubt.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:00 PM   #2
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

I back-to-backed a stock intake and a Nathan intake on my car in the same afternoon, with all other elements being the same. I have logs of the driving somewhere buried on the laptop but it's not going to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:05 PM   #3
esmth
Board Member

once I get the new head on with injectors mounted right on it, we should be able to do a direct comparison between the b230 and k jet manifold. I don't know of/have access to a dyno though lol
Old 01-27-2021, 02:08 PM   #4
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
I back-to-backed a stock intake and a Nathan intake on my car in the same afternoon, with all other elements being the same. I have logs of the driving somewhere buried on the laptop but it's not going to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt.
May not be slam-dunk proof but definitely in the vein of what I'd like to see.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:49 PM   #5
shoestring
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
Not necessarily looking for super anal climate controlled engine dyno testing
I am.
I AM THE MODAL AMERICAN. Planet money #936.
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:04 PM   #6
90volvo
Board Member

I too would like to see comparison. The ultimate dream would be stock vs kjet vs klracing vs nathan. Tested at 18-24lbs on a strongly built motor.

1985 240 Work in progress.

sons car- 93 240-15g turbo-chipped-95,000 miles. Slick car

Leave feedback- http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=355413
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:24 PM   #7
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

The stock efi manifold doesn't flow all that well. It's not terrible but will limit your power at some level. My machine shop didn't care for it. I had a ported one flow tested and it didn't do great. With a turbo you can get away with more power from it since you are forcing the air through it. Volvo built a RHD rally car and it used the efi manifold for what was supposedly a 300hp engine as did the Group A cars. So, they got some power with it but it's not ideal.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:38 PM   #8
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

I have a klracing 8v intake manifold I'd like to swap onto my blue 242, but I have not sat down and even thought about how I'm going to go about swapping it.. I'll have to figure it all out ahead of time and just have the parts ready to swap I imagine, or I guess I could do 4-5 baseline pulls with the boost control solenoid unhooked (straight wastegate, which isn't a lot on that car) and see what the spread is, and then whenever I get the other one done see what it does with the same 4-5 pulls. Or, set it up to run 20psi on both. hell I may do all of the above.

I honestly am expecting decent gains, but if you saw the conclusions in the ebay intercooler thread, I expected gains from that as well, so..... ymmv? lol. whenever I flowtested one years and years ago, it's per-runner performance wasn't total garbage, but it didn't get much better when tested with all runners open. I have no flow numbers for the klracing manifold as I have not set my flowbench back up after moving in 2012. the vacuum setup for it is about 60% set up, but tbh I haven't really had much time or inclination lately to finish it.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
linuxman51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:30 PM   #9
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

I suspect that if you removed the intake manifold, you'd remove a big restriction.

Maybe the valves next.

-------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
Will you do $14.99 shipped?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
please no more prying things with screwdrivers and bashing things with hammers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
my balls have more wrinkles than my brain
--------------------------------------------

-1967 144S
fatcatbestcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:42 PM   #10
PCH
Board Member

^^^ That made me laugh hard

Close to 20 years ago I flow tested b21ft manifold against b21f, b230 and early LH1 manifold which is similar to b230 but doesn't have injector humps in it. That LH1 manifold came out on top of them all. Forced induction may change things and see gains where n/a wouldn't.
PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:40 AM   #11
Jussi Alanko
Board Member

My friend in LVR racing engines had flowbenched ft intake manifold and it flows about 160cfm. So if your ported head flows 210cfm and you put an original manifold to it then they combined flows only about 160cfm.

But if you put a kl-racings cast manifold to the flowbench it flows more than any 530/531 head, i think!
Jussi Alanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:18 AM   #12
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

I'll see if I can dig up the logs. As far as driving impressions; it's a game changer over 4k rpm with a good setup. It also really changes the engine sound which was interesting.
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:54 PM   #13
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatbestcat View Post
I suspect that if you removed the intake manifold, you'd remove a big restriction.

Maybe the valves next.
WHO NEEDS A HEAD?!

hahahahahaha
Old 01-31-2021, 02:50 PM   #14
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Referencing my flow charts. At 28" with a flowed LH intake manifold. My 531 head flowed 187.1 cfm on the intake. Whereas the head without the intake manifold flowed 203.4". So, the LH manifold took away a good chunk of airflow.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:03 PM   #15
90volvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Referencing my flow charts. At 28" with a flowed LH intake manifold. My 531 head flowed 187.1 cfm on the intake. Whereas the head without the intake manifold flowed 203.4". So, the LH manifold took away a good chunk of airflow.
I remember back when I was drag racing ford stuff we had a friend that had a flow bench and he was pretty sharp about flow etc. He would talk about percentages regarding intake flow compared to the head. Looking at your flow numbers the intake flowed 80 percent of the head. Which isnt very good at all. I put a 3 inch adapter and blended my intake, the the injector boss up. Didnt seem to help it much at all. Im just using it to get my engine broke in then going to go with klracing or buy nathan intake. My head been worked over by culberro. So I imagine its over 200. Anyways enough babling. Id like to see kjet intake vs nathan or kenny intake manifold comparision on a dyno or flow bench.
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:28 AM   #16
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
WHO NEEDS A HEAD?!

hahahahahaha
Remove the entire engine for weight savings.
fatcatbestcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:55 AM   #17
SkeTchy-MechAniC
Board Member

Look at the itb video of that drift't n lift's weirdo.

He compares the dyno graphs of a stock engine with ported head +cam on the oem intake and later with the itb setup.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:32 PM   #18
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatbestcat View Post
Remove the entire engine for weight savings.

4-d chess!
Old 02-02-2021, 06:25 PM   #19
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

I second that interest in knowing what the old kjet intake flows. I had the shop port the 90+ exhaust manifold and also go over the efi intake to flow better. But he told me he didn't have much he could do with the intake.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:17 AM   #20
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
I second that interest in knowing what the old kjet intake flows. I had the shop port the 90+ exhaust manifold and also go over the efi intake to flow better. But he told me he didn't have much he could do with the intake.
I believe a gent of Scandinavian origin, posted a link in Performance a few months back which included flow data on the K-Jet B21F intake. The article would need translation, but he claimed the flow data was contained within. No mention of the miserable B230F/FT intake that the OP wanted to find. I'm absolutely certain that the B21F intake makes a better beer holder (likely a pair of them) than the B230F. Witness the glory:

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote