home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications > aftermarket engine management

Old 11-05-2021, 09:25 PM   #1
Dvroofer
Board Member

Default Iat heat soak issues

I believe Iím having issues during tuning and canít pinpoint it. From what Iíve read it could be a heat soak issue with the iat. After warming up and trying to get my ve tables dialed in. ( having idle issues after putting a load on, wants to fall off) the car dies, I go to start it and it has that starter locking heat soak noise and wonít kick over. If I give it 10 mins it fired up again.. My iat is currently mounted on the front of the intake pipe right where air flows in after the filter. Should this be moved . Anyone have examples of where they put theirs. I am very new to megasquirt and am learning every day having fun with it. But sometimes Iím just stumped.I apologize if this topic has been covered but would greatly appreciate any guidance from the veterans.
Thanks
Dvroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

Are you sure this isn't an issue with having too much timing advance? When engines are hot and the timing is too far advanced. The starter can have trouble cranking over the engine.

The location you describe should be fine for an intake air temp sensor.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:29 PM   #3
Dvroofer
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Are you sure this isn't an issue with having too much timing advance? When engines are hot and the timing is too far advanced. The starter can have trouble cranking over the engine.

The location you describe should be fine for an intake air temp sensor.
Sounds about right , Ive been trying to get my timing right this week. I have it synced finally ,just need to get my table right. The default it gave me was set at 16 I dialed it back to 13. This is still na until I can get it at least running decent on ms.I’ll be trying some different stuff out today. Will try and dial it back some more. I’ll put up my table when I get close.
Thank you
Old 11-06-2021, 01:32 PM   #4
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

10-12 btdc is what most of the red blocks use for initial crank timing advance. It reads 12 +/-2 degrees on the strut tower sticker for my B21FT. The n/a engines use a bit less at 10btdc.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:48 PM   #5
Dvroofer
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
10-12 btdc is what most of the red blocks use for initial crank timing advance. It reads 12 +/-2 degrees on the strut tower sticker for my B21FT. The n/a engines use a bit less at 10btdc.
Dropping it down to 10 fixed the issue on restarting I also adjusted my cranking dwell down a bit. It starts now after running. If there is a good na ignition advance table out there to compare to I’d be interested.

Last edited by Dvroofer; 11-08-2021 at 11:18 AM..
Old 11-09-2021, 09:14 PM   #6
Swedbrick
Board Member

Stock LH2.4 b230f maps should get you close enough
https://ipdown.net/wiki/index.php?ti...map.2C_169_EZK
Swedbrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:28 PM   #7
Dvroofer
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedbrick View Post
Stock LH2.4 b230f maps should get you close enough
https://ipdown.net/wiki/index.php?ti...map.2C_169_EZK
Thanks you thatís a great resource. I appreciate the help.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:08 PM   #8
Dvroofer
Board Member

Does Anyone have a good na ignition table I can look at to compare. Thanks