home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 09-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #51
fredsanford740t
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badvlvo View Post
The tuning part isn't that hard, it just takes time before you can really run the car hard or you risk the big bang.

Get this done! Someone needs to do a clean, professional looking supercharger install on this forum.

I surely plan on it!

Update: Removed #2 park plug and was able to see what looked like a hole in the piston... Gonna remove the head in the next couple of days and let you guys know.
Any suggestions on great turbo pistons? I think I'm going to buy a set of RSI forged H-beam rods and try to track down a penta crank.
Anamorphic Equalizer_ Line-Xesque paint_ M47_ Auto Meter A/F Ratio, Boost, temp_ Tethys_ Racing seats _ GT steering wheel_ 2.5" drop_ 242 GT intake tube_ Python 871XP_ Rebuilt, ported, 10* clipped 42/48 trim Garret_ ported/milled 90+ manifold_ 3" V-band Turbine outlet_ Porsche BOV_ Ported, polished, grooved 530 head_ Stage 3 Clutch_ 20lb. Flywheel

fredsanford740t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #52
scotia

I'm reading this thread with great interest. First post on bricks, I have 1991 740 GL with a 2.0l engine. I bought it as it was cheap and was going to sell it on but it is such a good driver I want to hang on to it and modify it for a little more power.
I have a Jaguar XJR6 that I'm breaking just now, I want to keep a hold of the Eaton M90 and mount to the volvo lump above the alternator with some kind of heavy bracket taken from the block and head. I was thinking of just running it like that with no IC for a while to see how it does hoping the LH 2.4 would adjust enough for me.
After measuring the jag blower and volvo motor the output of the charger pretty much lines up with the volvo throttle body.
The air intake needs a snake bend to make it round to the airbox (airflow meter)
I use the volvo most days so it'll be a running modification any thoughts. I have all the facilities to fabricate anything and I am a welder by trade.
Cheers
scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #53
volvofreak740
Board Member

Yes its not hard and been done before there's a guy who has a volvo that is turbocharged and twin supercharged.
volvofreak740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #54
scotia

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvofreak740 View Post
Yes its not hard and been done before there's a guy who has a volvo that is turbocharged and twin supercharged.
Crikey, that must be something!!
Do you think the N/A B200F will stand up to adding the blower with no extra mods?
It's just a cheap upgrade and a bit of fun, no crazy power but at least 180 hp would be nice.
Hopefully the stock CR ratio and a bit of boost will be fine.
What do you think?
scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #55
fredsanford740t
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotia View Post
Crikey, that must be something!!
Do you think the N/A B200F will stand up to adding the blower with no extra mods?
It's just a cheap upgrade and a bit of fun, no crazy power but at least 180 hp would be nice.
Hopefully the stock CR ratio and a bit of boost will be fine.
What do you think?
Might want to use a better head gasket than the stocker. IIRC the stock HP output of an N/A B230f is 114. you will probably want to add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and higher flowing injectors, not to mention a better fuel pump. Just make sure your engine is at a good stage 0 tune before you get the super on.

I'm interested in seeing how your bracket design comes out. I have one in mind that I will sketch out, scan and post.

Also you may want to think about intercooling. You can mount the charger upside down and mount intercooler over the top of the engine.

My two cents.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your results!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #56
fredsanford740t
Board Member

On the back burner but still cooking
Old 11-14-2011, 04:32 AM   #57
claymore
Board Member

Bump: did anything come of this project? fwiw, I think an eaton m45 would be better suited to the project than the big m90
claymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #58
slovo240
Board Member

Did this happen?
1980 Volvo 242dl LA318 FI V8 swap
1998 Volvo v70 -dead
1982 Volvo 244gl sbc350 th350
1984 Volvo 245glt Jeep 4.0 w/4bbl blow thru carb turbo
slovo240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #59
Fa182
Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovo240 View Post
Did this happen?
I believe Lankku made it happen, but not with a M90.

Post from: http://www.forums.turbobricks.com/sh...d.php?t=351804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankku View Post
You could also double your troubles and go for a HX40 and M65 with LH2.4.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:22 PM   #60
volvowagoon
Board Member

I find it so strange that this got bumped. I stumbled on this thread a couple days ago. I'd love to throw my M90 on the 240 with Microsquirt and a 4l60e. I don't know why. There's a reason this hasn't been done much. It's wayyyyyy easier to just get all the stock turbo stuff and bolt it on.

Making a pulley for an M90 to work with v-belts would be tough. I think bolting a modified SBC serpentine crank pulley on top of the stock water pump pulley to drive the SC and bring it forward a little would be the best and easiest way.... not that I've thought about it or anything. lol I wouldn't twin charge it though. I'd just put the M90 above the exhaust manifold, run it through a stock IC, and keep my AC. Let's be real though. I'm not going to end up doing any of that.

1986 Buick Grand National - Restored to stock™
2002 Camaro V6 T5 +T - The trashy car that's fun to drive
2010 C30 T5 - The boring but trusty daily - 199k
1989 245 DL - The boring but not trusty daily - 233k
IG: @v6buick
volvowagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:05 PM   #61
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvowagoon View Post
I find it so strange that this got bumped. I stumbled on this thread a couple days ago. I'd love to throw my M90 on the 240 with Microsquirt and a 4l60e. I don't know why. There's a reason this hasn't been done much. It's wayyyyyy easier to just get all the stock turbo stuff and bolt it on.

Making a pulley for an M90 to work with v-belts would be tough. I think bolting a modified SBC serpentine crank pulley on top of the stock water pump pulley to drive the SC and bring it forward a little would be the best and easiest way.... not that I've thought about it or anything. lol I wouldn't twin charge it though. I'd just put the M90 above the exhaust manifold, run it through a stock IC, and keep my AC. Let's be real though. I'm not going to end up doing any of that.
I also considered bolting another pulley to the water pump but decided against it because I wasn't sure how the bearings in the pump would handle the extra load.
2012 VW Tiguan (screw plastic water pumps), daily
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:14 PM   #62
volvowagoon
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock345 View Post
I also considered bolting another pulley to the water pump but decided against it because I wasn't sure how the bearings in the pump would handle the extra load.
Good point. I would probably change it out with every timing belt swap. It would also help a lot to keep the serpentine belt as close to the engine as possible for less leverage.... now putting a v-belt pulley on the M90 doesn't sound too bad. I need to remove the pulley on mine and figure out the shaft size.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:30 PM   #63
Lankku
Board Member

If you use waterpump for supercharger I'd say you toast waterpump bearings much faster than you change timing belts. The belt(s) need to be tight. Even a stock 6PK serpentine needs to be tight.

And then you have to think about the ratio and diameter of the pulleys. Around 2:1 you start getting somewhere boostwise. I think I had 2.2:1 with M90 on a 2.5l 16V engine.

I had a new pulley machined to bring the belt back more:

If you think about a combined aluminium crank pulley for V-belts and serpentine, I'd say don't. If there is any slip, combined with the radiant heat from the crank, the pulley heats up(and expands) so much that it loosens the crank bolt.
Lankku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:33 PM   #64
Swedbrick
Board Member

TentShedTrev has his awesome m90 topmount setup for sale still, maybe that could get you started?

link:p
Swedbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #65
volvowagoon
Board Member

I came to stir this pot again.

It sounds like success was limited. I wonder why all the teeth came off the belt. Could it be that the gears were swapped? The lack of boost sounds unfun too. Too bad. I'm still curious about how the cam gear was attached to the crank hub. I'd love to experiment with this.

https://forum.savarturbo.se/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=53396

another one
https://www.garaget.org/forum/viewto...?id=263158&p=1

Last edited by volvowagoon; 07-08-2021 at 10:44 AM..
Old 07-08-2021, 11:50 AM   #66
dalek
Benchracer Tribe

Quote:
If you think about a combined aluminium crank pulley for V-belts and serpentine, I'd say don't. If there is any slip, combined with the radiant heat from the crank, the pulley heats up(and expands) so much that it loosens the crank bolt.
Did I miss the picture of how the belt feeding the supercharger is routed?
"Use the barbed adapter like what I use to inflate the air camping mattresses and my dates." FTF Engineering
i am inspired. i will replace my windsheild... with an intercooler.swedishK
Feedback!
dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:15 PM   #67
volvowagoon
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
I'm missing this key piece of information on 90% of the set-ups I've seen. I'm in for answers though.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:00 PM   #68
mikep
The MP

When I started to do this on an L28 I grabbed 2 Ford alternators from the yard, mainly for the ribbed pulleys. They could be yours. free.99.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:06 PM   #69
volvowagoon
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post
When I started to do this on an L28 I grabbed 2 Ford alternators from the yard, mainly for the ribbed pulleys. They could be yours. free.99.
Interesting. What's the significance of the Ford alternator pulley? Is it the same shaft size as the M90 or something?
Old 07-09-2021, 08:35 PM   #70
mikep
The MP

I wanted to change to the ribbed set-up, and not have v belts for the alternator. It's a high number of ribs, 8 maybe. It's been a while.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:02 AM   #71
dalek
Benchracer Tribe

Funny you mentioned that. Per https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...rive_Belts.htm, the SLK uses a belt for the supercharger and alternator and another for power steering, AC, and probably the waterpump, whose pulley is off in their picture.

In principle I would like to have the essentials -- alternator and waterpump -- in their own belt and the rest in an auxiliary belt, but do not know if that would be feasible. And, sometimes I wonder if it would make sense to have a V-belt free upgrade for our Volvos. But I digress; Dave Barton has pondered on this subject https://www.240turbo.com/alternators.html

Last edited by dalek; 07-10-2021 at 07:30 AM..
Old 07-10-2021, 01:01 PM   #72
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

If you're going to re-engineer the belt drive just remember more belt wrap around the pulleys is more better.
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:35 AM   #73
Lankku
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
Not much to see. Here is a pic when I lifted the engine for a H-beam swap. Bought the SC used as a kit with bracket.

Last edited by Lankku; 07-11-2021 at 06:42 AM..
Lankku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:34 AM   #74
dalek
Benchracer Tribe

So the pulley for the supercharger was machined to be sleeved inboard of the original crank pulley instead of being attached to the harmonic balancer side of the crank pulley (which would run the risk of being torn down at the rubber interface more often). I take that means a different tool to do timing belt swaps.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:18 PM   #75
volvowagoon
Board Member

Quote:
Not much to see. Here is a pic when I lifted the engine for a H-beam swap. Bought the SC used as a kit with bracket.
So is that a solid pulley then? No rubber? How are the harmonics? I'm thinking of ways to do more of a hot rod version of this with a stock damper and welding another pulley to the end. I worry about potential slipping or breaking of the crank key though.