SkeTchy-MechAniC
Board Member

x
Old 10-23-2020, 03:09 AM   #52
SkeTchy-MechAniC
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
More weight, more complexity, more possibilities for leaks and failures. But, we're running one as we don't have another solution at this time.
Does it do what it's supposed to do?

The right solution in my mind mind would definitely be the accusump. It's indeed slightly more weight, But neglectable for the piece of mind that you won't have to change bearings every time it gets hammered hard. It's a stupid piston in a shiny blue cylinder, piece of hose with 2 fittings and a manual valve.. Ain't that prone to failure.. Another tiny detail to keep in mind is that a hot engine doesn't really like cold oil shots. Still, cold oil is always way better than no oil
SkeTchy-MechAniC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #53
Dirty Rick
Board Member

An Acusump may maintain pressure, but what about the air?

60PSI of air has no more lubricating properties than 0PSI air.

The problem is the air introduced, not the loss of pressure!!!
The loss of pressure just makes the bad thing happen quicker.

In summation an Acusump is a half measure, that treats the symptom not the problem.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:07 PM   #54
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
An Acusump may maintain pressure, but what about the air?

60PSI of air has no more lubricating properties than 0PSI air.

The problem is the air introduced, not the loss of pressure!!!
The loss of pressure just makes the bad thing happen quicker.

In summation an Acusump is a half measure, that treats the symptom not the problem.
Are you referring to the air pressure inside the accusump? There's a piston with seals that separates the compressed air from the oil inside I believe.
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:03 PM   #55
J_Jones
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post

In summation.
Thanks for the giggle. The accusump pushes oil in to the system when the pressure drops. Your oil pump isn’t going to pressurize any air to push back against the accusump force so air is non-issue so long as the hard turning/braking/etc doesn’t outlast the accusump capacity. At least, that is my understanding of the accusump principle.
J_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:23 AM   #56
SkeTchy-MechAniC
Board Member

x
Old 10-26-2020, 03:24 AM   #57
SkeTchy-MechAniC
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Are you referring to the air pressure inside the accusump? There's a piston with seals that separates the compressed air from the oil inside I believe.
You're right sir

Old 10-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #58
RoadRacer4Life
Owner: DeathWagon

I've been doing some work on Randy Pobsts Flyin Moose 740 endurance race car.. Suprisingly his car came into my shop without an oil pressure gauge, warning light or oil temp gauge... Knowing my own car's oil pressure issues I promptly installed a warning light on his car before we raced it this weekend. Keep in mind he's been racing this car for quite a few years now and no known issues... That being said after breaking into turn 1 at Atlanta Motorsports Park this weekend 3 of the 4 drivers including myself noticed the oil pressure light flash very briefly when exiting the turn.. Going to have to look into improving his oil pan as well..
90 245GL 2JSWEDE 2JZ 245...
91 245GL Team Battle Wagon Chumpcar
93 245GL Street Beater
RoadRacer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:32 PM   #59
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeTchy-MechAniC View Post
The right solution in my mind mind would definitely be the accusump. It's indeed slightly more weight, But neglectable for the piece of mind that you won't have to change bearings every time it gets hammered hard. It's a stupid piston in a shiny blue cylinder, piece of hose with 2 fittings and a manual valve.. Ain't that prone to failure.. Another tiny detail to keep in mind is that a hot engine doesn't really like cold oil shots. Still, cold oil is always way better than no oil
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRacer4Life View Post
I've been doing some work on Randy Pobsts Flyin Moose 740 endurance race car.. Suprisingly his car came into my shop without an oil pressure gauge, warning light or oil temp gauge... Knowing my own car's oil pressure issues I promptly installed a warning light on his car before we raced it this weekend. Keep in mind he's been racing this car for quite a few years now and no known issues... That being said after breaking into turn 1 at Atlanta Motorsports Park this weekend 3 of the 4 drivers including myself noticed the oil pressure light flash very briefly when exiting the turn.. Going to have to look into improving his oil pan as well..
How did you like it?

I received some pictures from Erland this weekend while we were racing ourselves! We took 3rd in B class both days at Portland International Raceway with Lucky Dog Racing League. We could've been in contention for the lead both days, but, you know how that goes... Lots more info on our FB page if anyone wants to follow along. I'll have some video up sometime, too.

Anyway, here's what Erland sent me(sorry for the size, I may resize them later):
Quote:
You have to put the sump on sideways and then turn it and get the oil hose through the hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil pan 1.jpg (121.1 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Oil pan 2.jpg (184.4 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg Oil pan 3.jpg (190.0 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Oil pan 4.jpg (187.0 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Oil pan 5.jpg (187.8 KB, 193 views)
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:31 AM   #60
RoadRacer4Life
Owner: DeathWagon

Saturday's 8 hour race went fairly well.. The car was very fast I had the first 2 hours and then two of our slower drivers drove then Randy got in for the 4th stint.. Toward the end of Randy's stint the clutch throwout bearing boiled or got air in it somehow and he stuck it in 3rd gear for the rest of his stint. Then I drove the car for the last hour in 3rd gear. We finished 8th overall and 2nd in EC..

-Sam

Quote:
I agree.

How did you like it?

I received some pictures from Erland this weekend while we were racing ourselves! We took 3rd in B class both days at Portland International Raceway with Lucky Dog Racing League. We could've been in contention for the lead both days, but, you know how that goes... Lots more info on our FB page if anyone wants to follow along. I'll have some video up sometime, too.
RoadRacer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #61
dkrause
Board Member

Quote:
I agree.

How did you like it?

Anyway, here's what Erland sent me(sorry for the size, I may resize them later):
Kyle;
Nice pan, same as ours in Slovo, defiantly helps. Good job at PIR. DANA
dkrause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:32 PM   #62
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrause View Post
Kyle;
Nice pan, same as ours in Slovo, defiantly helps. Good job at PIR. DANA
Thanks Dana! That's Erland's pan, we're running a stock one at the moment. During this last race, we did your suggestion of running a little overfilled and the accusump all day. We had one driver experience one low oil level warning under/after hard braking into turn 7 at PIR, so we added a half a quart in the next pit stop and called it good for the rest of the day. Our rear main seal seems to be seeping a bit, and the engine is tired, so we suspect that was why we saw the warning. That evening I checked the oil level with the Accusump charged and it was about 2/3 up the dipstick. I added a quart of oil and we had no issues on Sunday. I think we were barely above the minimum mark at the start of the weekend, so we maybe used 3/4-1qt or so? Good enough!

Next engine we'll try one of these pan designs to help further. Maybe with a cut-out of some sort for more capacity, we shall see. Erland suggested running an oil cooler, but so far I don't think we're stressing things as much as one might think. Somehow, our coolant temperatures were only around 165° with a 190° thermostat.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:53 AM   #63
mikep
The MP

Maybe I should make these and sell them for half price.
https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/gm-...-use-w-302-20/

Old 03-13-2021, 12:02 PM   #64
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

Quote:
Does anyone have pictures of a Group A pan? I haven’t tried searching for any yet. Erland suggested they’re available but expensive.
Here's the Sten Parner pan that supposedly is a Group A copy.
Has two trap doors inside.
Dave B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StenParner008.jpg (128.6 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg StenParner009.jpg (119.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg StenParner010.jpg (135.1 KB, 108 views)

'84 242ti, fourth owner, mine since 2003. Always garaged since brand new. Old-school rounds because I like. B21FT, SDS EFI/IGN, TD04HL-15G, T5Z trans with modded 0.73 OD, 3.91 diff, unmodified G80.
Volvo Ambivalence of Volvo Enthusiast Community: prancingmoose.com/#novolvo
Dave's Volvo Page: davebarton.com
240 Mods and Fixes Pages: 240turbo.com/volvo240mods.html
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:10 PM   #65
mikep
The MP

That’s nice.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:44 PM   #66
122power
dude

Does anyone know what the psi rating is on the oil psi sensor? 0 psi 7 psi or 10? Or compare the flickering to a mech gauge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Ring,ring,ring

"Hello"

"Do you work on Volvo ...

*Click - bzzzzzz*
122power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #67
mikep
The MP

I would (and possibly will) use an air regulator into a T fitting with gauge and oil light switch to test a few.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:17 AM   #68
crogthomas
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122power View Post
Does anyone know what the psi rating is on the oil psi sensor? 0 psi 7 psi or 10? Or compare the flickering to a mech gauge?
The Intermotor catalogue lists the Volvo 230 sensor (their part no. 50860) as switching at 5.8-8.7psi.

There are switches available which switch at higher pressures, i.e. closer to, but still below the operating pressure of your engine, to give a earlier warning of low oil pressure.
crogthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:23 AM   #69
mikep
The MP

adjustable
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=2943

30 psi
https://www.autometer.com/pressure-switch-30-psi.html

15 psi
https://www.jegs.com/i/Mr-Gasket/720/7872/10002/-1