home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 11-30-2020, 08:19 PM   #676
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjam83 View Post
Whoa....Do you have a link?

My dad put in a four-post in their machine shed a few years ago. Bought the lift, DIY assembly/install...and it's awesome. But this is a great option for those with "just a garage".

And aside from the concrete work, it does look like it could be fairly DIY-able.
So it's this one: https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/mi...lifts/mds-6lp/

I actually bought this one because it had the drive over ramps with the intention of using it temporarily as a drive over lift. I'm glad I went this way first, even if I never used it that way because it gave me a great dry run on positioning it.

I ran into a problem because of the narrow frame width of the truk (something I hadn't really thought about). When we had it mounted on the floor, we had to balance getting the lifts close enough to each other to catch the frame, but wide enough to drive over. What eventually happened is the trucks wheel base put the tires half on / half off and the frame barely over the lift. Thought about a bunch of workarounds but in the end, they all would have sucked AND the wagon probably wouldn't make it over it when it finally runs next century.

BUT I'm glad I went that way first. I ended up drawing the layout very specifically in CAD, changed my mind about a dozen times and kept making small changes right up till the day the concrete guys came out. I ended up being able to squeeze them even closer together (26" in the clear between them) which put the truck frame comfortably on the lift and the outside edges no wider than the over all width of the wagon. Obviously I sacrificed some access but now that's done, I'm convinced after being under the 245 I could still get a manual trans out easily and an automatic would come out with to much hassle.

I could probably find taller rubber blocks too and be able to do exhaust work and the such without to much hassle, though right now I don't think it would stop me as is. On the truck most of that stuff is up inside the frame anyways so even that won't be any real loss.

Again, the upsides outweigh the downsides for me. I'll get all the lift height I can with the truck before it's in the ceiling and plenty with the wagon. When it's not in use it's 100% unobtrusive to my garage: no post in the way that would keep me from parking a second car in there or always be in the walking path. I also have to do a lot of photoshoots in my garage for work (our photographer happened to buy a house two doors down from me) so being able to have full access in the garage is critical when we have to use the wide white backdrop. The only major downside is cost. It's twice the cost of a 2 post to start and the concrete work drastically drove that price up.

Things that could be different:

1. I was surfing over on some of the garage journal type websites and it looks like people have had success with knock off chinese made versions. The Bendpak is made in china anyways so it's probably the same factory. I decided to spend the money because of safety and support (which Bendpak has been great with today over the one part that stumped me... turned out they missed a fitting in the packaging and are sending it out)

2. I probably WAY over did it on the concrete. Seems like most people just cut the rectangles out of the floor, dig it down an extra 6 inches, put rebar across and drive some into the surrounding dirt and repour. That probably would be ok honestly and even had a contractor who quoted to do just that.

Ultimately the guys who I went with probably overbuilt it. They cut an entire slab of my floor out, dug it out 3' deep (except for the last foot towards the wall) built a giant rebar cage and then filled it up. It was expensive but they did an incredible job, I helped build the forms including the conduit install. I barely had to level it afterwards and those guys just flat out worked their butts off. I was happy to cut that check. (they also did a driveway / sidewalk extension to make sure we did something that would make Theresa happy too).

The other upside to getting them in the ground is I could set the spacing at pretty much anything I wanted and didn't have to worry about using their drive over line guards. Just cut the 3" conduit flush after the concrete dried up enough to pull the forms and that's it.

Super happy and I absolutely haven't been out in the garage going "lift goes up, lift goes down...lift goes up" the last 3 days ;)

This was during the concrete phase:
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:51 PM   #677
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

First class!

@PDXvolvo on IG
B21FT with a T3/T4, STS coil-overs, T5 trans.
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:03 PM   #678
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Looks great Doug! Nice garage setup. Globex corp is the best!
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:56 PM   #679
foggyjames
Ryan's spanner monkey

That's sweet. So envious!

cheers

James
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'80 343 DL
'70 164 - Under Restoration

PM me if you're looking for Euro parts!
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #680
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Nice lift, super space efficient. A great addition to the shop!

We have an in-floor scissor lift too and its great, nothing in the way if you don't need it.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:45 PM   #681
brickcupra
Board Member

Default Underground Jack

It's been about the most expensive, involved way to put a lift in a garage but I couldn't be happier. It keeps the garage 100% functional when not in use, I still have great access down the middle. The 245 could go a bit higher, but thats taller than the ceiling will allow the truck to go. Really stable. Looking foward to putting it to work!!

Men thats amazing . Ive been lucky to use my friends rotary floor jack for all the underground work like muffler, suspension , removal , repair and installation of the oil pan ans now to re -do the p s high pressure hose. I have the wagon on the street since 11-12- 2020 or so and i am still working the kinks. Is fun to drive with a 7mgte swap and it hauls, although it need some fine tunning and some interior mouldings to readjust for a quiet interior. That color came out awesome men!!!
Keep up the nice job, and hours spent wrenching will turn out miles of fun. Take care
DZ
brickcupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #682
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

I think I filled my "doug works on the wagon one weekend a year quota". Decided to tackle doors. Picked up a complete nice set of 244 doors from Luke. After 6 years torn apart this worked out amazing, not only having complete doors to reference rebuilding from but all the parts, gaskets and guides were in terrific shape (compared to mine completely crumbling apart when I took them apart).

A little help from the trusty Milwaukee M12 battery able to get all 4 doors reassembled. Thru the door panels on for grins for now. Extra bonus, the lift makes a handy work station.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:31 PM   #683
doucheNozzle

Gawd that color and shine

'93 944 T - #TrophyVo
'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'11 XC90 V8 - Torque Monster
doucheNozzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:00 PM   #684
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
Gawd that color and shine
I'm sure happy with it. It's a little washed out in the first photo but the interior photo is pretty true to real life.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:28 PM   #685
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

It’s satisfying just to look at it, I can imagine all of the meticulous assembly of clean parts is going to be a lot of fun. One man Volvo factory!
Old 03-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #686
matt b
Board Member

How stable is that body cart ? Do you worry about a kid pulling down on the rear of the car and making it tip or is it more stable than that ?

I'm thinking of building some for the P1800's we have and a customer's MG.
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:16 AM   #687
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
How stable is that body cart ? Do you worry about a kid pulling down on the rear of the car and making it tip or is it more stable than that ?

I'm thinking of building some for the P1800's we have and a customer's MG.
Itís pretty damn stable. Iíve had the kids sitting in the rear hatch and itís ok. I can also run ratchet straps thru the car and attach them to eyelets I welded on (thats how we kept it secure in the trailer).

Works great over all.