home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 12-26-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
daniels740
Board Member

Default Best leather conditioner

Hey all,

I wanted to ask what your favorite leather conditioners are. I want to protect my 740's new (to me) rear seat skins from drying and splitting from the Florida sun whenever I'm out. I'm looking for something I can get from Walmart, Advance Auto, or Autozone for under $20.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.
daniels740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
2manyturbos

I don't know if it is the best leather conditioner, however, Lexol is a good leather conditioner and it fits your criteria. Under $20 and it is sold all over, including Walmart stores.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
rearwheelpeel
Board Member

I like Lexol brand. It comes in two different bottles, an orange one and a brown one. One is leather cleaner and the other is leather conditioner. I’m sure they have a two in one as well. I think the last time I bought some was at an advanced auto or Napa or someplace similar, and it was less then 10 bucks for a 17 oz spray bottle.
rearwheelpeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #4
PCH
Board Member

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:01 PM   #5
283SD
Board Member

I've had good luck with Neatsfoot oil.
283SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:03 PM   #6
nel621
Board Member

A cheap cardboard sun shade to cover the tops of the rear seats will also help.
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:08 PM   #7
daniels740
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel621 View Post
A cheap cardboard sun shade to cover the tops of the rear seats will also help.
I was thinking about making something like that but custom, comparable to dash mats. I may start a new thread if I make something nice worth sharing.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:10 PM   #8
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I have always had great luck with Lexol and zymol, both great products. I always do the cleaner and the conditioner, makes old seats feel and smell good.

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:42 PM   #9
TestPoint
Board Member

A little knowledge is very needed here.

Sometime in the early to mid eighties leather auto seat material changed from vat dyed leather to vinyl 'painted' leather. My '82 was actual dyed leather but most after were not.

Vinyl is porous and produces much the same affect as direct contact with natural leather.

While the leather paint has served very well over many years it is not natural leather. Leather conditioner will soak through the vinyl paint slowly but not like directly on natural leather. Application of a 'leather' treatment must take place over a longer period of time.

For real restoration of leather you are going to have to do some work. In restoring 38 year old seats I stripped the dye with alcohol, treated the leather with some like a quart of Leathereque's 'Rejuvenator', covered with black plastic garage bags resting in the sun for a few days.

You cannot believe what rose to the surface. All those years of sweat and salt.

Stripped:

Painted with vinyl:

For that reason, spray treatment will not soften hard, dried leather.

Leatherique https://leatherique-restoration-products.myshopify.com/ has products, information and support that will help with any real restoration efforts.

For spray-and-forget-it any of the above works just fine.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460

Last edited by TestPoint; 12-27-2020 at 10:45 PM..
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:01 PM   #10
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

+1^ It has to soak in, have time to soften the years of abuse
2turbotoys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:47 AM   #11
mblue240
Board Member

I used Lexol for a long time, but now I love Chemical Guys. They even have a new one that helps block UV. If the sun is your biggest concern go get your windows tinted, blocking out the sun is the best way to save the interior, plus you're car will be cooler inside.

Tbricks build

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4_ford View Post
In Oregon, 5 Volvos in a parking lot isn't a meet, it's just a daily coincidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChoy View Post
Yep, Michael is right.
mblue240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #12
daniels740
Board Member

^ I completely forgot about tinting. Anyone know around how much I would pay for to get the darkest legal tint on all windows (excluding windshield, of course)? Also, if anyone knows of a good tint shop around Broward County, Fla, I'd be glad to hear it. Thanks all.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #13
DD Ranch
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels740 View Post
^ I completely forgot about tinting. Anyone know around how much I would pay for to get the darkest legal tint on all windows (excluding windshield, of course)? Also, if anyone knows of a good tint shop around Broward County, Fla, I'd be glad to hear it. Thanks all.
I paid $280 at a reputable local shop here (whose work I knew) two years ago for my 91 245 with darkest legal all round including a contoured windshield strip.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:57 PM   #14
S70T5fivespeed
Its always 7:4O somewhere

Clean:

Then condition:
In the barn: 67 123GT
S70T5fivespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:28 PM   #15
c1800
Board Member

https://leatherique-restoration-products.myshopify.com/

FTW.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:10 PM   #16
daniels740
Board Member

I'm going to go with the two-step Lexol, the cleaner and the conditioner after, letting them soak in as well, for now. If I am able to obtain nice front seat skins/ nice front seats, I MIGHT do a full leather clean/conditioning with Leatherique.

How much of that stuff would I need and how often would I need to repeat the clean/conditioning?

Last edited by daniels740; 12-27-2020 at 11:26 PM..
Old 12-28-2020, 12:40 AM   #17
tintintin
Board Member

Forum member Redwood Chair will probably suggest a good product for you soon.
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #18
TestPoint
Board Member

Start with a quart of the Leatherique rejuvenator. It does most of the work. Needs to be applied multiple times over an extended period for real results. A couple weeks in the case of cardboard like leather.

Don't need as much of the cleaner.

You need to apply it in heavy amounts just short of running and cover with a black plastic garage bag in a warm environment. It sorta gets like a thin wax when cold.

I have done two cars with their stuff and been very pleased. I think both looked better in person than the photos displayed.

1982 245

I bought this car new and the leather never was very soft. Rejuvenator probably brought it back 80%.

1981 Bertone 262C

This car's new leather was glove soft and maybe got back 60% of original.

Last edited by TestPoint; 12-28-2020 at 02:57 PM..
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:11 PM   #19
Bready
board deviant

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1800 View Post
^This hands-down. Nothing compares. Makes Lexol look bush league.

Accept no substitutes.
Quote:
A society that treats this much Black death at the hands of the state as collateral damage in a just war on crime has no decorum to project. That society is savage. - Charles M. Blow
Kalazdar - (3/23/83 to 5/12/03)
MUST READ!!! https://cleantechnica.com/2017/04/24...-adds-screwed/
Bready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #20
Bready
board deviant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPoint View Post
Start with a quart of the Leatherique rejuvenator. It does most of the work. Needs to be applied multiple times over an extended period for real results. A couple weeks in the case of cardboard like leather.

Don't need as much of the cleaner.

You need to apply it in heavy amounts just short of running and cover with a black plastic garage bag in a warm environment. It sorta gets like a thin wax when cold.

I have done two cars with their stuff and been very pleased.
Pro-tip. I found myself having an odd allergic reaction to the cleaner - when I spoke to the folks at Leatherique they found it surprising and recommended using Ivory soap and warm water instead which I've used ever since. The conditioner is essential, but cleaner wise you don't need to shell out the $$$.

If you keep the windows up and park in the sun you can forgo the plastic bags but you definitely want the interior as warm as possible and leave it on for as long as possible (hours wise not days).

Old 12-28-2020, 02:46 PM   #21
tiredoldtommy
Board Member

If your leather is black, you might try Doc Bailey's Leather Black. Great stuff!!

----------------------------------------------
'03 C70 HPT drop top 95k (stylin cruiser)
'83 242 turbo, 305k (ridge runner)
'84 245 NA, 248k (hauler/tractor)
'66 New Yorker, 440 4bbl (needs a new home)
'84 244tic (project or parts? definitely parts)
tiredoldtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #22
daniels740
Board Member

Just used the Lexol two-step treatment. If I can find some nice front seat skins to match, I will probably use Leatherique. My goal right now isn't really to restore the leather, it's to keep it from getting worse. Hopefully Lexol will do the trick.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:06 AM   #23
daniels740
Board Member

I'm also going to get my windows tinted the legal 15% in the back and 30% in the front with ceramic tint for $200 with a 20-year warranty this Saturday.

Just wanted to ask if you guys have had good experiences with ceramic tint.

Thanks for all the help and advice + especially to mblue240, I would have completely forgotten about tinting if it wasn't for his suggestion. You guys are all great, thanks again.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:44 AM   #24
Bready
board deviant

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels740 View Post
Just used the Lexol two-step treatment. If I can find some nice front seat skins to match, I will probably use Leatherique. My goal right now isn't really to restore the leather, it's to keep it from getting worse. Hopefully Lexol will do the trick.

Looks good.

Leatherique isn't a restoration product it's a conditioning product like Lexol - just much better at maintaining the current state and for rejuvenating seats that have been neglected over the years and have dried out. Just FYI.

Still looks great.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:50 PM   #25
daniels740
Board Member

Just got my windows tinted with ceramic tint at 20% all around, and a 70% Nano-ceramic tint on the windshield you can barely see is there, but makes a huge difference on how much heat comes through. Payed $300, and it comes with a 20-year warranty.

I would have preferred the legal 30% in the front, 15% in the back, and actually told the guy "I WANT IT LEGAL" I don't know how many times. But, it doesn't matter to me for two reasons. First, 1/3 of the cars in Florida are tinted illegally dark. The police aren't that strict about it. Second, I have transcripts through email where I told the guy countless times I want legal tint. I wouldn't hesitate to send him the bill for a ticket, in case I got one.

In addition, I can see through it just fine, even at night. I am curious to see if it helps stop some of the glare from oncoming headlights at night.

Anyway, the 740 looks nicer now, and is way more comfortable to drive. I will really feel the difference first time I park it in the sun. I'll let the car be for at least 3 days to let the tint cure in peace, though.

Last edited by daniels740; 01-03-2021 at 12:03 AM..