home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 01-29-2021, 03:10 PM   #1
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Default Teaching My Car New Tricks?

Hello,

How do you guys go about installing some of the goodies that new cars have? A couple things I'd like to install is cruise control, and also power locks with a fob on my 242. I've seen the universal cruise kits that Rostra has. Would a universal kit be easier to install than the later factory system?

As for door locks, I saw that the 240's had the central system, and you could add an actuator to the drivers door and control them from a universal lock control box? But since I have manual locks, maybe I should stick with a universal kit? Any recommendations? I'd also like to add a trunk actuator, too. That would be super cool.

I think I will keep my windows manual. I would, however, like to get the later AC system put into my car. What's the best way to do this? New parts, mix or all used from the pick n pull?

I posted in another thread, the Ford 3.0 one, about getting the best MPG I can. At the same time as all these little bits, I'm thinking about installing an electric fan and perhaps a Prius electric steering shaft. I think with a higher performance alternator and being able to use cruise control, I can hit some pretty nice numbers on the freeway!

Thanks!
OldCarNewTricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:35 AM   #2
AnthonyHardy2
Board Member

For factory cruise control you'll either need to find a complete 1984- cruise control setup or add a speed sensor and tone ring to your differential to use the newer 240 cruise control systems. Also depending on the year of your car and whether it's turbo or NA it may be difficult to find the cruise control specific throttle spool that fits your intake manifold. I have no experience with aftermarket cruise control systems but I'd assume you'll still need to find some way to send it an electronic speed signal.

The easiest way I've found to install power locks with a remote fob is to install the stock 240 power lock system and piggyback off of that. You'd need to add the driver door actuator, then connect the aftermarket fob module to the wires coming from the driver door lock cylinder. 1979+ cars should already have the mounting holes for the lock actuators installed and 1980+ cars already have large wiring passthroughs in the doors. If your car is 1979 or newer you can add the factory trunk popper system but the hard part would be finding one since they're semi rare. I don't think they predrilled the mounting/access holes for the trunk popper until 1981 but they're not that difficult to add. If your car is 1978 or older there is no factory power trunk unlock available AFAIK so you'd have to figure something out.

Changing to the later AC setup is a large job that requires completely removing your dashboard and heater box. You'll need the heater box. all AC lines, the AC compressor bracket, and the condenser from a 1991-1993 240. You'd also likely need to switch to the newer style power steering pump to be able to use the new AC compressor bracket. The 1993 system is R134a from the factory, has a better parallel flow condenser, and different thread on some of the fittings but otherwise is functionally the same as the 1991-92 system. Alternatively you can go to an aftermarket system like Dave Barton did https://www.240turbo.com/classicair.html

Efan installation is fairly straightforward. Usually people use the 940 efan and relay and cut down the shroud to better fit the narrower 240 radiator. You'll also need some kind of temperature switch to trigger the efan. Some radiators have one built in or you can use a sensor inline with the radiator hose. Some older Saabs have a metal hose T with an inline sensor that works great for this. Installing a 100amp Bosch or Denso alternator from a 940 is the easiest way to put a higher capacity alternator on a 240 and is a good idea when switching to an efan.
AnthonyHardy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Better numbers on the freeway etc?

After making sure everything is in good condition, invest in aftermarket efi and make engine run perfect?

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=136987

Also, aero mods: http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83909
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:59 PM   #4
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre

spend $$$$$$ to save $ in mileage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
Well keep us updated on how your dumbass plan goes.
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:23 PM   #5
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

AnthonyHardy2, JW240, thanks so much for the information, I'll begin to do more research on the information here. Gives me a great starting point on my brick.

A question:

With the speed sensor and tone ring, I need to swap in a different rear end all-together, as it likely doesn't have provisions for the sensor or room for the tone ring until later, correct?

apachechef, I'm fully aware of the expense here, and I'm quite honestly more interested in the learning experience of new technology effectiveness over the old. It's really cool to see all the new subsystems placed into new cars (such as the electric assist steering) that does away with components that draws HP from the engine a certain amount. In most cases with new pieces like this, it draws quite a bit more power from the alternator, which also draws an amount of HP, as well. It's just fun to learn about this aspect of automotive evolution vs. the all out power fuel drinking 6.0 LS motor that's going into my Camaro.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:37 PM   #6
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

Probably should start with a car with less than .45cd
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:41 PM   #7
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Probably should start with a car with less than .45cd
That wouldn't be as fun! Besides, most cars that are are alot more complex. 240s are simple, and I really like that. Just trying to have the best of all worlds, or as much as I can. :D

Edit: 240s are one of the few mid compact cars that fit me. I'm 6'6".

Last edited by OldCarNewTricks; 01-30-2021 at 11:30 PM..