home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #1
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

Default Muffler benchrace, will I be under 100dB at 50'?

I have this stuff now, yes it's a muffler of sorts, I have a cat on order that may or may not be here by Friday. Anyone think it will be under 100dB with just 3"d.p. and piping and this 3" shorty glass pack muffler, and side exit in front of the rear wheel? I'm thinking about fitting it all up without the cat, I have 2 more V-band clamps on slow boat order and just putting the cat in later with the extra V-bands. Only issue I would have is the 100dB @ 50' sound limit for my autocross club. It's in a 242 with B21+T, chinabay 20g turbo. Any experiences to share?

2016-07-12_02-14-18

2016-07-12_02-14-05

2016-07-12_02-14-57
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
cwdodson88
Board Member

at idle... sure.
At WOT/full boosts, probably not quite. 2 of them might, or put that really close to the cat, and run a long section under the axle and out the back.

Edit: My 15g setup has 3" downpipe off the conical housing, one of those under the passenger side seat and one of these under the rear seat just in front of the axle. I dont exceed the 105db at 50 ft cop test we have locally.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-630145/overview/

Its literally only got a sheetmetal V in it, and while I cant roll a tennis ball through it, a racquet ball or ping pong ball falls through it just fine.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!

Last edited by cwdodson88; 07-12-2016 at 02:33 PM..
cwdodson88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:57 PM   #3
dkrause
Board Member

Default go for it

It should not be a problem, the turbo is really a rotary muffler . We have a single muffler (no cat) similar to the one you show and side dump just behind passengers door and have passed the 92 dBA at 50' limit at Laguna Seca with NO issues.
dkrause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:38 AM   #4
740atl
potty mouth

Uggh... are you attempting for the least expensive-worst flowing-loudest muffler way to get to 100db?

You'd have to have at least two of them as 15A said.

Oh... side exhaust? Forget it.

If you're going to go side exit, you need something longer... like a dynomax ultraflo or a borla xr1... it has to be as log as you can get it for one muffler to control the sound. I don't think a chambered muffler is going to get you there unless you go up to a flowmaster 50 series

Even still, it's going to be a drone-inducing cop magnet with one muffler.
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

Well here it is, not proud of the welding but it's solid, my only leak is from where the DP hooks up to the turbo, it's the sh!tty Vibrant V-band clamps that I got off of Amazon. The threads stripped completely off of one and the other was on it's way after I had assembled and disassembled the exhaust a couple times. I had to run out and get some 1/4-20 all thread and repaired them, I have some different ones on order hopefully they're a better quality. This is the sound with the 11" cat and shorty glass pack all 3" mandrel bends courtesy of Fidel in Richmond, thanks L! Just watched the video, sorry about the mic placement.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:21 AM   #6
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

Here's my fastest run at yesterday's autox, I had the waterproof cover on the GoPro, should have put the open back on. I'm loving this exhaust more every time I drive the car. Can changing the exhaust make the car run rich? I had to back off a bit on the AMM screw to get it back to normal. First and 4th runs I carushed some cones if you're into that kind of thing.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #7
5ft24
Board Member

Flow masters aren't designed for turbo applications. To get the proper flow, they rely on hard, solid exhaust pulsations to create low pressure "waves" that move the exhaust thru the muffler. The turbos smooth the pulsations out. Local muffler shop did a 2 1/2" cat back, no cat, and after telling them 3 times not to put a flow master on, they did anyway. Boost gauge went in after the exhaust, and I was only hitting 6-7 psi, and the engine seems to start running out of steam about 5000 rpm. didn't like the tinny sound and put a regular turbo muffler on myself. Boost goes to 8 psi, comes up quicker, and the car pulls hard all the way to redline.
5ft24 is offline   Reply With Quote