home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 07-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #1
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Default Speedometer Question

Good morning,

I recently swapped the transmission from an AW71 to AW70, and I think I pinched or did something to my speedometer cable, as it's no longer long enough to stay put in the speedo hole. It just makes a *click click click* noise that is awful and annoying. I've always had issues with this car and the speedometer. Even when working the speedo likes to bounce around at speeds below 30 or so.

I'm wondering what's everything involved in getting an electronic speedometer in my car. I know aftermarket cables exist, but I'd rather just update it and not deal with it anymore. Can a tone ring from the newer cars be pressed on an older differential case? I have a 1031 3.91 rear end, but it's an older differential without the electronic speedo bits. I know theres also the plate with the sensor in it, and there's also the electronic speedometer itself. Is the speedo seperate from the odometer or would I have to figure out how to adjust a newer one?

Thanks.
OldCarNewTricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

GEMO was still supplying speedo cables. The wavering is typically from a worn cable twisting and untwisting as it spins. That is probably related to your clicking sound. It's a lot easier to use what you have than adding all the wiring for an electronic speedo. It can be done but is a lot of effort just because you have a bad cable. Don't forget to replace the seal at the end of the cable. The odo is integrated into the speedometer.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:10 PM   #3
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
GEMO was still supplying speedo cables. The wavering is typically from a worn cable twisting and untwisting as it spins. That is probably related to your clicking sound. It's a lot easier to use what you have than adding all the wiring for an electronic speedo. It can be done but is a lot of effort just because you have a bad cable. Don't forget to replace the seal at the end of the cable. The odo is integrated into the speedometer.
Excellent to know. Is GEMO the best, were they the OE supplier? It is an old cable indeed. If a new cable will take care of it, I guess I am fine with doing that. The clicking is because the cable isn't actually in contact with the speedometer anymore, so my Speedo is inoperable. So driving the 240 is iffy right now.

I actually do have a new seal coming from IPD soon, but it is out of stock, but I will replace that as soon as it comes in.

Thank you
Old 07-16-2021, 02:21 PM   #4
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

What about this NOS Napa cable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/18384306875...oAAOSwcHhc~px2
Old 07-16-2021, 06:02 PM   #5
bobxyz
Board Member

If the cable really isn't making good contact, just shove on it from the engine compartment to seat it further.

When you say "speedo hole" I'm assuming the speedometer in the cluster, and not the pickup hole in the transmission, right?
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:14 PM   #6
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
If the cable really isn't making good contact, just shove on it from the engine compartment to seat it further.

When you say "speedo hole" I'm assuming the speedometer in the cluster, and not the pickup hole in the transmission, right?
The "spring" inner cable, the bit that actually spins doesn't seem to reach far enough anymore. I'm wondering if the sheathing got stretched during this so that the inner part is no longer long enough to reach.

That NAPA cable is half the price of a GEMO cable, and it looks to be of good quality...
Old 07-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #7
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

NAPA cable ordered. It has "Made in Germany" printed on it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was GEMO in a NAPA box.
Old 07-17-2021, 03:25 PM   #8
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

Yes, it's probably a Gemo in a Napa box. Beck Arnley does a lot of reboxing of OEM supplier parts as well. Usually, at good prices, too.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:37 PM   #9
lummert
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarNewTricks View Post
Think this persons ad has a typo. The 760 part is probably meant to 1983-85.

Last edited by lummert; 07-19-2021 at 05:45 PM..
lummert is offline   Reply With Quote