home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-21-2021, 06:47 PM   #51
2manyturbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
I didn't see 12.4mm listed in the parts catalog.

1212426 12.0mm
1212427 12.7mm
1229052 12.95mm
1206750 13.8mm

from what I can tell Lesjofors is selling one spring to replace most of the different wire sizes that were available and it's not 14.2mm, it's 13.5.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...jofors-1229337
I just measured a set of late model sedan springs at .473” which converts to 12mm. I’m almost positive I’ve had a couple of sets of sedan springs that measured .485”. They are long gone now.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:29 PM   #52
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Quote:
I didn't see 12.4mm listed in the parts catalog.

1212426 12.0mm
1212427 12.7mm
1229052 12.95mm
1206750 13.8mm
Why do they have a 12.7mm and a 12.95mm? Seems like 12.0mm is for sedans, 13.8 is the overload.
OldCarNewTricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:50 PM   #53
hiperfauto
The Librarian

The 12.0mm spring is the standard one for 4 door cars and the 12.7mm spring is the heavy duty one for four door cars. The 12.95mm spring (listed as 13mm in the later catalog) is the standard one for wagons and the 13.8mm spring is the heavy duty one for wagons.

There are exceptions to the rule but basically, that's how it breaks down.
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:22 AM   #54
Otto Mattik
board member

Quote:
from what I can tell Lesjofors is selling one spring to replace most of the different wire sizes that were available and it's not 14.2mm, it's 13.5.
Hello sir, I went back and opened the link for FCP and found the Lesjofors replacement spring which is a different P.N., it's Lesjofors 4095801. I may have not been clear, but I was referring to Lesjofors 1229337.

What I noticed is that Tasca lists this spring at 14.2mm, while Lesjofors lists the same P.N. at 14.5mm.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...spring-1229337

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=323689

Last edited by Otto Mattik; 08-03-2021 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: confusion over wire diameter info
Otto Mattik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:09 PM   #55
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Default Brakes, More Suspension Questions

I have some OEM Volvo brake pads to install on my 242, it's 1983 for reference, and it has vented rotors. I have seen that the Brembo rotors are of good quality. On RockAuto, for the 1983 year, it has Brembo rotors listed that are for "DL, Vented," but they are actually solid replacements. What's up with that? Can I just use the later vented style Brembo rotors?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I would like to also plan out my bushing replacements. I see that FCP has the trailing/torque arms with new bushings preinstalled that are Skandix brand for $78.49/ea. I don't currently have a press, and I don't have much room for one. Anyone have experience with those replacement bars?

My track bar is a newer Volvo OE replacement, so that's good. I plan to install new bushings on the axle, which I have the member made tool, so that will be easy enough. And I think the last one I have to worry about is the ones that sit on the rearmost position of the control arms. Can those be pressed in with a vice?

My car being a 1983, I shouldn't have to worry about length of the B6 Bilsteins fitment, is that correct?
Old 07-31-2021, 08:17 PM   #56
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

The spacing on the calipers is wider on the vented rotor versions. So, no you can't fit vented rotors on solid rotor calipers. Eventually, during the 80s the DL model got vented rotors so that's probably why the rock auto listing is incorrect. I think it was the 86 model year that DL models got the vented rotors. Before that turbos and 260s only had them.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:20 PM   #57
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

For the Bilstein B6 shocks you'll have to remove the spacer at the bottom of the strut. For the rear bushing on the front control arm a strong vise is good. That's probably the only one that doesn't require a press.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:17 PM   #58
DD Ranch
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
The spacing on the calipers is wider on the vented rotor versions. So, no you can't fit vented rotors on solid rotor calipers. Eventually, during the 80s the DL model got vented rotors so that's probably why the rock auto listing is incorrect. I think it was the 86 model year that DL models got the vented rotors. Before that turbos and 260s only had them.

At least, my old 85 245DL had vented fronts.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:28 PM   #59
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Interesting. That must mean that my calipers were swapped at some point. I currently do have vented rotors.

The thing that confuses me is that Brembo has the rotors listed as a vented replacement, but its solid in the photo on Rockauto and on other sites, too. They also have a separate part number for the regular solid rotors.

So I should be able to order any of the vented versions with no fitment issues, is that correct?
Old 07-31-2021, 09:38 PM   #60
DD Ranch
Board Member

^

I just upgraded my 84 244GL to vented fronts so sounds logical.

Maybe their pics are wrong?

I got my rotors from FCP.

Cross check P/N's ?
DD Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:18 PM   #61
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

I'll do that!

Does anyone know if shocks get "softer" with age? I have B6 HD Bilsteins on the rear of my 242, and they are well used. Not worn out by any means, just not that stiff brand new feel I associate with new. I was thinking it might be a decent idea to get B4 touring class for the front to go with my GT springs. Is this a good idea, or should I just pay the extra and get the B6?
Old 08-01-2021, 04:58 PM   #62
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

As long as the bilsteins are not leaking they are probably ok. B4 should be a good match to the Gt springs but the B6 will be a bit longer lasting and a more controlled ride. IE slightly firmer. The stock calibration on the B6 is also pretty soft. So, it'll ride comfortable but be a bit firmer and under control on the crappy washboard roads. If you can swing it, it is worth it for the longer service life alone.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:37 PM   #63
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
As long as the bilsteins are not leaking they are probably ok. B4 should be a good match to the Gt springs but the B6 will be a bit longer lasting and a more controlled ride. IE slightly firmer. The stock calibration on the B6 is also pretty soft. So, it'll ride comfortable but be a bit firmer and under control on the crappy washboard roads. If you can swing it, it is worth it for the longer service life alone.
This is the answer I was looking for. I will go ahead and go for the B6. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2021, 08:42 PM   #64
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

Great! Just watch out for the spacer in the bottom of the strut and remove it for the B6 shocks. Be aware that the spacer is non removable on the later struts so if your car has them swapped for later struts you may have to use some other shock that fits with the spacer. Like Konis for example.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:37 PM   #65
tintintin
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarNewTricks View Post
Does anyone know if shocks get "softer" with age?
If they are gas charged shocks they can lose the gas charge which can cause the suspension to settle a bit more when at rest, and more bubbles in the fluid under heavy use (reduces effectiveness).
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote