home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-21-2021, 10:28 AM   #226
JerryJS8
der Junge

Well I got my money back for the parts that didn't get delivered, so that's nice, but I guess I'm still on the lookout for some things I still need. Time and patience...

With the parts that did come I was able to get a lot of things done yesterday. Painted the small wrap around trim pieces since those didn't get delivered

and installed the missing clips for the door bumpers trim pieces and rear window triangle trim.

The outside is now 99,5% complete, just desparately needing the trim piece below the rear window and a few other odds and ends.

Got around to installing some 250 watt 3.5" speakers in the dash,

and also installed the amp in the trunk. I have to clean up the wiring before I take a picture of that thing though...

In the package were new defrost vents because the original ones were cracked to bits and landed in the trash some time ago.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Something I was absolutely wanting to avoid was reinstalling the old interior plastic pieces since the Florida sun has baked them to a brittle crisp. With time and patience I might find some replacements, but for now I am forced to re-gluing the puzzle pieces back together and refurbishing what I have.

I ordered a total of 8 new interior panels and all I got delivered was one, but at least I have a reference on how they looked new. So here's a pic of new plastic on the left and an example of the old baked pieces I have to deal with on the right.

To start the refurb on the pieces I need to reuse, I first sandblasted them to remove the dead plastic from the surface.

A new color emerges and only needs a bit of shine.

Wetting ABS down in acetone quickly melts the surface and evaporates to a new glossy surface.

So here's a pic of new plastic on the left and an old (refurbed) baked piece on the right.

Next I had to reluctantly glue back together the pieces of the other interior panels. The glue I use is as thin as water and creeps into the cracks to have a clean result without major glue buildup. Works darned well, but as I reinstalled this piece it cracked again somewhere else Time and patience...

A quick shot of the glued crack before I wiped down the panel with acetone to hide the spot completely.

As of right now it is looking realistic to get this car back on the road in April, but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!
- 1990 744 16v (pegleg drift can)
- 1992 480 (Renault disaster)

- 1989 745 16v
- 1991 744 (SE) 16v Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordmaschine View Post
Try to recreate and see what happens, our crystall ball servers are currrently down.

Last edited by JerryJS8; 03-21-2021 at 10:37 AM..
JerryJS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:32 PM   #227
JerryJS8
der Junge

And this is what happens when you start getting too excited about getting the car back on the road... things come apart, again.

More pictures soon...
Old 03-26-2021, 02:53 AM   #228
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

och nö!!!

did you forget to tighen the camgear bolts!?? noooo valves chef salad?
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #229
Sander
Good news everyone!

Ah crap, what happened?
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:08 PM   #230
JerryJS8
der Junge

Everything is fine, there was no accident!!!

Not having any more major things to get her roadworthy got me thinking about some minor jobs I've had on my list. Thanks to C-19 I have to wait at least another 14 days to get an appointment at the registration office, so my pinned up excitement has to find an outlet!

Something I've always wanted to do was retard the timing of the NA cams to match the turbo cams, but I never wanted to buy adjustable timing gears since they just don't look stock stealthy...

At work I found this rotation jig in one of the cabinets and it just made sense to go ahead and get it done.

-3 on the exhaust and -9 on the intake was a piece of cake with this thing, once I had stopped thrice round flipping the orientation in my head... On the first try I bored the intake side +9 instead of -9, but whatevs, after reboring at a second reference tooth it still turned out just fine

Now the gears look just as boring as before, but they have new alignment holes and are ready for assembly, again

Last edited by JerryJS8; 03-27-2021 at 04:52 AM..
Old 03-27-2021, 04:09 AM   #231
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

Butthead! That was a crapload of a clickbait!

And since when can you determibe adj cam gears under the oem cover? /
Old 03-27-2021, 04:56 AM   #232
JerryJS8
der Junge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_945 View Post
Butthead! That was a crapload of a clickbait!

Until I get a proper cam cover made, she's all naked under the hood
Old 03-27-2021, 05:09 AM   #233
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

No cover is also not stealthy . Have you seen the KLRacing ones?
Old 03-27-2021, 01:08 PM   #234
JerryJS8
der Junge

Quote:
No cover is also not stealthy . Have you seen the KLRacing ones?
No, only seen the covers from acm.se, and I'm not a fan of them.

You got a link for the KLRacing cover?
Old 03-28-2021, 03:57 AM   #235
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

no, not covers, adj camgears

habe younseen my cover? made it out a oem cover and turned spacers.. it is kind of free floating
Old 03-28-2021, 02:36 PM   #236
JerryJS8
der Junge

Quote:
habe younseen my cover? made it out a oem cover and turned spacers.. it is kind of free floating
Entweder ganz, oder gar nichts. Wir machen keine halbe Sachen bei mir

----------------------------------

Got the cam gears back on the motor and had to do a little "shuffle shuffle" in the garage to make enough room to get my wife's Honda in for some maintenance. Olga idled just find with the new cam timing, but I'd only have reason for concern if she didn't!
Old 03-31-2021, 03:58 AM   #237
JerryJS8
der Junge

Called the DMV on Monday and asked when I can get an appointment to register the car, and was surprisingly given the option to come by the next morning at 9:00 a.m.! I guess someone might have canceled and opened up a spot just for me So after a quick jog downtown we are back in business!!!

I got some seasonal plates this time, so the car can only be driven between April and October, which means I only have to sleep one more time before I can take her out of the garage!!! I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve

Since I still had a few minor points to resolve I hurried out to the garage yesterday and got them taken care of.

---------------------------------------------------------

Job #1 - taking a piece out of the s-pipe to keep it from rubbing on the rear bumper.

Unfortunately the rust has perma glued the pipe to the muffler, so we'll just have to keep it on the car for this operation.

Here's my Turbobricks culturally established obligatory statement where I can't weld, but I truely and honestly promise to learn

With my trusty angle grinder it's all good...

Some high-temp silver spraypaint and we are "golden"!

Job #1.5 (became obvious only after removing the bumper) - Re-glueing the bumper mounts

I should have noticed this sooner, but the glue on the bumper mounts was only partially hanging on, and it didn't take much to rip them off both sides.

So out came the dremel with my trusty carbide bit and began with the surface prep... of which the smell and sound reminded me a lot of what I did last summer. Surface prep is not fun, but it had to get done. It kinda felt like writing a term paper in college, where I'd rather be doing anything else but this. Which were ironically, thanks to my procrastination, the times when my apartment was never cleaner!!!

...I digress...

The surfaces are now clean of old glue and ready for new glue.

After the fun of last year's bumper prep I got a small collection of glues for all the plastics and it's been a good investment so far. For this job I got out some aggresive 2k glue specialized for a wide range of thermoplastics and rubber compounds.

Should be fine, cause this glue hasn't failed me yet!

Job #2 - Finding a temporary replacement for the lower rear window trim piece

The original trim piece had taken quite a beating in the sun and separated/warped into a gaping fissure between it and the glass, funneling all sorts of leaves and gunk into places where it doesn't belong. You know, THAT piece, that is no longer available, but the Russians still let you order it and just not tell you before receiving your shipment and opening the box...

So I went down to the hardware store and found a piece of vinyl weather striping, which should withstand the sommer weather until I find a decent replacement.

Automotive grade double-sided tape will do the holding.

Centered it up and pulled the ripcords a bit at a time to get it pretty much where it's supposed to be.

That'll do pig, that'll do...

And then with the final pieces of double-sided tape I mounted the license plates, got out my swiffer and did a quickly did some dusting, making good Ole Olga feel better about herself

Tomorrow it's on, so I plan to take some fasionable pictures this weekend
Old 03-31-2021, 12:21 PM   #238
GrafKroete
Board Member

She's a beauty. Enjoy your first drive!
GrafKroete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:22 PM   #239
skjarlie
Board Member

looking good always nice to see updates on this project!
skjarlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:17 AM   #240
JerryJS8
der Junge

Thanks guys! The excitement is real

So real, I could hardly sleep and even had a short thought about picking up the car at midnight

Ended up leaving for work a few hours early to make the swap and get on the road for a quick ECU/EZK chip learning session.

She runs absolutely fantastic, so I think I'll burn through a full tank of gas (or two) this weekend...
Old 04-01-2021, 08:08 AM   #241
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

Epic.. I'm so excited about my own car I can hardly stand it.. Did a burnout on my pavement already :D
Old 04-01-2021, 09:53 AM   #242
Swedbrick
Board Member

Awesome, it looks great, congrats!
Swedbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #243
JerryJS8
der Junge

Quote:
Did a burnout on my pavement already :D
Vid, or it didn't happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedbrick View Post
Awesome, it looks great, congrats!
Dank je!

I've only gotten to drive 60 Miles so far, but tomorrow I'm going on a somewhat longer tour to deliver spare parts to a fellow Volvo owner in need. Such a bummer that he doesn't just live across town

------------------------------------------------------

The modified -3°/-9° cam timing didn't provide spectaluar results though... After the chips had enough time to adjust, the new timing shift made the motor feel like riding a 125cc dirt bike, in a bad way. No guts under 3,500 rpms and also no boost at all until about 3,200. I guess the duration of the N/A cams is quite a bit longer than the turbo cams. So I put the exhaust back to 0° and put the -3° gear on the intake to at least reduce some of the overlap and reduce exhaust temps. Now the powerband is smooth and rips all the way to the redline, making usable power off the line and feeling more like a 250cc motocrosser.

Call to the community: ---> If you guys have any experience about where you set your cam timing, I'd be very interested to hear what you settled on!
Old 04-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #244
Mueller
Board Member

Great looking car, that work you did on the interior ABS parts in next level stuff.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #245
JerryJS8
der Junge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
Great looking car, that work you did on the interior ABS parts in next level stuff.
Thanks! Like new interior parts are getting to be rarer than hen's teeth, but I still remember the days when there were 10+ 740s just sitting in the junkyard with perfect interior pieces...

After a great weekend of driving all over the place with the wife, seeing some fantastic historic ruins,

and getting a swedish ice cream sunday,

I woke on Monday to a lot of snow....

So instead of driving around with all that them salt on the road, I pulled the 745 out of summer hibernation until the madness blew over.

On Saturday the roads were clear of snow and it even rained during the night to get that rust-invoking-madness off the pavement. Not only that, some new project parts arrived in the mail, so things had to get done!

The upholstry has taken a toll over the years with the cloth covers getting loose/separating and the foam had started to desintegrate in the bottom back seat cushion, which resulted in a hard block instead of a plush ride. Since I don't want my passengers riding second class, I've been passively piecing together this project for a few time now.

Some years ago I found a NOS cover for the back seat bottom cushion and last week I bought another seat with some good foam in it.

Off with the old, on with the new!

New upholstry pliers with a bunch of staples made everything go back together perfectly.

Old seat

New seat

And now the back seat feels and looks like new again, nice and plush!

But I didn't stop there, no no no Both of the front seats also need a revision, which is why I've kept a couple of grey seats out of a 940 for an upgrade.

Yesterday I only got around to getting the passenger seat done, starting with stripping the 940 frame. Pretty much all I did was swap the cloth covers, but being able to rid myself of the deteriorated foam debris was a nice thing to do.

Otherwise I've always had this brown dust all over the floor that never cleaned up well or stayed away for long.

Somewhere along the road the cover started ripping, so I took a couple of minutes to sow it up.

The larger 940 butt heater ohmed out to be the same as the other ones, but in comparison to the back heater it barely kicks out anything. Might end up swapping back in the 740 butt heater at a later point if I get really really .... really really bored...

Before

After

The best things about the 940 frame is the updated seatbelt latch and the tilt adjutment. Other than that, it more or less looks like it did before, but the foam is in a lot better condition and I no longer have the old foam dusting the interior brown.

Next up will be the driver's seat.

I do, eventually, have some performance related upgrades planned (wasted spark conversion, Cosworth turbo housing and full 3" exhaust), but since the motor already rips and runs reliably, I'll keep focusing on comfort issues for the next few updates until all the pesky things are worked out. So bear with me here peeps!
Old 04-25-2021, 10:37 AM   #246
JerryJS8
der Junge

Last weekend I took Olga on a road trip and met some friends to spend a few days on the moto track before Germany went back on lock-down... The drive there took a few hours, but I didn't mind at all, and at times I even enjoyed cruising the Autobahn at a cool 100MPH.

While we were there someone "discovered" the car and sent a photo to another friend of mine back at home, who also happens to be a Volvo fanatic. Funny how small the world can be

Here's a vid of the fun we had and me taking a fun run on the track

Old 04-25-2021, 11:50 AM   #247
Wilford Brimley
Is posting from the grave

This thread rocks.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:48 AM   #248
JerryJS8
der Junge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilford Brimley View Post
This thread rocks.
Well thank you, glad you're enjoying the ride!
Old 05-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #249
JerryJS8
der Junge

This weekend I didn't plan on spending any time working on Olga since the former daily driver needs to get spiffed up for sale. My garage neighbor Martin (one of the enduro guys from the last video) has become a good friend and let me occupy his lift for a few days so I could take care of a leaky overdrive unit and a few rust outbreaks.

But as luck would have it, I was looking in the local classifieds Friday morning and found a hidden gem I couldn't pass up, an oyster with a pearl, a corona mask concealing a friendly smile etc. etc...

Oooohh lá lá! What do we have heeeeere?!?!?!?

So I quickly wrote the seller with an offer and sped out to the middle of nowhere after work to a place at the end of the world, just before the vertical downhill. As Google maps would have it, it sent me off on a wild goose chase on the way there...

But with all the curves and beautiful landscape I just grinned the whole way there and couldn't pick out a better terrain for a sporty adventure and let the turbo sing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no real complaints about the stock steering wheel, except it is a bit... bland. And after 30 years I'd already started second guessing the reliability of the airbags, so what's the harm in a little upgrade?

An original accesory Volvo Roma in really nice shape was definitely worth the drive. The car had been sitting out back on a farm for the past 10-12 years and was a nice storage container, just waiting for me to come by. The leather hasn't cracked or started shrinking and only has one surface scratch at 2 o'clock, but it could still do with a re-dye. Even as it is, it's a beauty!

But I do have something against the look of the round Momo adapter... Guess I'll have to bite the bullet to learn how 3D printers work and get something cooked up that looks stealthy stock.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:59 AM   #250
volvowagoon
Board Member

Nice score!

1986 Buick Grand National - Restoring to stock™
2002 Camaro V6 T5 +T - The trashy car that's fun to drive
2010 C30 T5 - The boring but trusty daily - 192k
1989 245 DL - The boring but not trusty daily - 226k
IG: @v6buick
volvowagoon is offline   Reply With Quote