home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 04-30-2021, 04:29 PM   #1
spock345
Board Member

Default 15x7 wheels on an Amazon

Has anyone run 15x7 wheels on an Amazon? I've tried looking around for some used 15x6 or 15x5 steel wheels that look period correct with a close enough offset in my area. I seem to come across suitable 15x7 wheels more often.

As far as I can tell I can still run 195/65r15 (or maybe 205/60) tires on a 15x7. Is there anything to worry about with rubbing that would necessitate spacers? Any adverse effects on the handling or steering?
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

A 205 at factory offset would likely rub the sway bar near full lock. Outside clearance should be a non-issue.

Steering will be noticeably heavier at low speeds but nothing to be concerned about.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:13 PM   #3
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

MOPAR 15X7 Cop Car Rally Wheels + Dog Dish Caps Set of 4 Ralley Rallye

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:14 PM   #4
spock345
Board Member

A set of those popped up locally for a good price, which is why I asked the question. I like the stock-ish look but in a wider wheel.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:44 AM   #5
PaddyGarcia
Board Member

I have 205/60s on 15x7 on my Amazon, will measure the backspacing later today.
PaddyGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:51 AM   #6
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock345 View Post
A set of those popped up locally for a good price, which is why I asked the question. I like the stock-ish look but in a wider wheel.

For a little bit more than the cost of powdercoating you can get a brand new straight wheel.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/W...SABEgKmL_D_BwE
Old 05-02-2021, 12:15 PM   #7
Jack
junkman

I bet steering will be very hard and the factory front end that already twists/ cracks etc with even stock wheels will soon develop issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul buck View Post
I love you even more Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Donít bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
I expect nothing less from an incel like you, Jack.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:16 PM   #8
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post

For a little bit more than the cost of powdercoating you can get a brand new straight wheel.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/W...SABEgKmL_D_BwE
Those damn things weigh a ton
Old 05-02-2021, 12:49 PM   #9
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
That combined with the steering effort has me debating the VP 5.5" wheels. A 185 or 195 seems right to me. Putting a 185 on a stock 4" wheel seems a bit off. Also 165s relatively difficult to find.

I am wondering if these are still available. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=345847
Old 05-02-2021, 03:02 PM   #10
PaddyGarcia
Board Member

That sounds like a better combo.

I had 15x8 cop rims on my 'cuda, x2 on damned heavy.
PaddyGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:37 PM   #11
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Who cares if you can put steamroller tires on and make it wander around & feel like doggy do do going down the road?
Old 05-02-2021, 05:18 PM   #12
122power
dude

I had 185's on the stock wheels or wagon ones. They balloon out a bit and are shorter but they did grip a lot better that the stock tires. 185 60 15 i think i had.

Quote:
Ring,ring,ring

"Hello"

"Do you work on Volvo ...

*Click - bzzzzzz*
122power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:27 PM   #13
Jack
junkman

Exclamation

Quote:
Who cares if you can put steamroller tires on and make it wander around & feel like doggy do do going down the road?
I just donít understand fashion

Obviously
Old 05-02-2021, 05:29 PM   #14
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Quote:
That combined with the steering effort has me debating the VP 5.5" wheels. A 185 or 195 seems right to me. Putting a 185 on a stock 4" wheel seems a bit off. Also 165s relatively difficult to find.

I am wondering if these are still available. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=345847
The width of the wheel isnít going to matter much if youíre still considering a 195 tire. Just get the wheels you want. The steering wonít be unbearable with a 205. That steering wheel is way too huge to ever be hard to turn.
AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:20 PM   #15
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122power View Post
I had 185's on the stock wheels or wagon ones. They balloon out a bit and are shorter but they did grip a lot better that the stock tires. 185 60 15 i think i had.
I've been on the look out for wagon wheels. Finding a complete set seems to be a challenge.

I think 185/65r15 is the usual culprit. I've seen those pop up online a lot. 185/70r15 matches the diameter of the 165s almost perfectly but also hard to come by.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:44 PM   #16
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

195-65-15 is right for these cars in today's traffic.

That said if you had a good wheel shop that could put 6" 700 steel barrels on your vintage 15" hubs @20-25et you'd be golden.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:50 PM   #17
Jack
junkman

Volvo rally cars used 5.5 (Iirc) Chrysler wheels
I wouldn’t go any bigger

4 vs 4.5 wagon wheels makes no difference

And I have those on my sedan
Old 05-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #18
c1800
Board Member

Yah, the VP wheels (5.5”) with a reasonable size tire are probably your best bet.

https://vp-autoparts.com/en/artiklar...azon_1800.html
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:53 PM   #19
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

I currently have 15x7.5 widened stock steelies on mine with Hankook 225/45ZR15s on them
They fit fine, no rubbing, and they handle great. Parking lot turning honestly feels about the same as it always has. I original had 15x6.5, then went to 15x5.5, and now 15x7.5 and they all felt about the same at parking lot speeds.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...&postcount=233

Last edited by MikeJr.; 05-04-2021 at 11:09 AM..
MikeJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #20
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

15x7 on both alloy wheels and banded steels with 205/60/15 here. I do have to say the steel wheels with all that mass to the outside make the handling noticeably worse then originally designed, you may not feel it if you just putt around town in your car but if you start to drive it like you stole it you'll definitely notice a difference from say a set of 5.5s with 185s mounted. The alloy wheels on the other hand manage the weight placement much better and feel more like 5.5s with 185s. The deeper the dish though the more weight you are putting to the outside which was never built into the design of the suspension or the steering. Optimal performance in my opinion would be a 6 inch alloy wheel with 185 or 195 tires but if you want steel wheels the 5.5s are your best bet. 7 inch steel wheels on a vague old domestic machine works just fine but it's really just too much for our cars imho.

1966 Outlaw Volvo Amazon, 2004 VW R32 Golf
R32RennSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:44 PM   #21
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32RennSport View Post
15x7 on both alloy wheels and banded steels with 205/60/15 here. I do have to say the steel wheels with all that mass to the outside make the handling noticeably worse then originally designed, you may not feel it if you just putt around town in your car but if you start to drive it like you stole it you'll definitely notice a difference from say a set of 5.5s with 185s mounted. The alloy wheels on the other hand manage the weight placement much better and feel more like 5.5s with 185s. The deeper the dish though the more weight you are putting to the outside which was never built into the design of the suspension or the steering. Optimal performance in my opinion would be a 6 inch alloy wheel with 185 or 195 tires but if you want steel wheels the 5.5s are your best bet. 7 inch steel wheels on a vague old domestic machine works just fine but it's really just too much for our cars imho.
I went through some old guides on preparing these cars for rally that I am using to plan out engine mods (all I need to do now is head work) and the same story is 5.5" wheels and lowering it a bit.

I definitely like slinging it around on mountain roads. I may not "drive it like I hate it" as the old ads say but I do push it a bit. I have more fun in this car at or under the speed limit than I did driving my father's 540i m sport.

The compromise I also have to navigate is keeping the thing comfortable enough that my fiance would actually be willing to ride in it.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:53 PM   #22
Jack
junkman

Quote:
I have more fun in this car at or under the speed limit than I did driving my father's 540i m sport.

with my pizza cutter wheels I have more fun a lower speeds than I do in better handling/ faster cars

going though the mountain passes around here I still get people pulling over to let me pass
doing 80 feels way faster

I'll probably still stick with stock wheels after I get my 16V carb conversion done on the wagon too

front ends are soft as cheese on these cars and strengthening is key, wide tires if anything should come after

Majority of old cars just dont get driven enough where long term issues due to design/modifications get resolved …

Last edited by Jack; 05-03-2021 at 03:03 PM..
Old 05-03-2021, 03:06 PM   #23
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
with my pizza cutter wheels I have more fun a lower speeds than I do in better handling/ faster cars

going though the mountain passes around here I still get people pulling over to let me pass
doing 80 feels way faster

I'll probably still stick with stock wheels after I get my 16V carb conversion done on the wagon too

front ends are soft as cheese on these cars and strengthening is key, wide tires if anything should come after
I agree, adding wide tires to our cars should be part of planned system and a clear goal. Making sure you've reinforced the known areas and having new bushings, bearings and joints is key here. If you want to do it for looks, fine, whatever, but you will start breaking things eventually if not wearing them out prematurely. Just know what you're signing yourself up for and you won't have any surprises.

I drove my car on stock 165s for years and loved it. Then I fully overhauled the suspension, gave it 120hp to the wheels and added an overdrive so I naturally updated the tire package as well. Out of everything I've tried over the years 5.5 to 6 inches seems pretty optimal with 185 to 195 width tires, with alloy wheels always benefiting you when compared to a steel counterpart, but the real key is to know where you are putting the rotating weight no matter what wheel and tire package you go with.
R32RennSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:29 PM   #24
Jack
junkman

You said you made 110hp in your thread

^ my point being is that bushings, sway bars aren’t enough . Firewall junction above the already thin frame rails cracks even with stock suspension

Move your steering wheel with the hood open and watch how much movement there is where the steering box bolts up to. Steering junction is another weak point

The stock (even) welded x member is sloppy where it bolts into the frame
Front of frame rails under the radiator needs boxing in

The loop around the x member is crappy too

TLDR: Everything in front needs more bracing
Old 05-03-2021, 03:43 PM   #25
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
You said you made 110hp in your thread

^ my point being is that bushings, sway bars arenít enough . Firewall junction above the already thin frame rails cracks even with stock suspension

Move your steering wheel with the hood open and watch how much movement there is where the steering box bolts up to. Steering junction is another weak point

The stock (even) welded x member is sloppy where it bolts into the frame
Front of frame rails under the radiator needs boxing in

The loop around the x member is crappy too

TLDR: Everything in front needs more bracing
I've already gone through the whole suspension with new bushings, ball joints, and tie rods. Rebuilt the brakes as well. I've read about the possible cracking at that junction with the firewall. Any ideas on how to shore it up?