home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 01-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #251
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

And in the wrong set of holes haha, figured it out today. That loop touches the floor though, but I guess that is fine. The shifter is pretty off, it is in 2nd gear and is touching the edge of the hole. Guess that will be getting cut out.

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:14 PM   #252
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Worked out a few fitment issues today, ordered a new intake manifold also, still need to do something to the trans tunnel because the shifter is touching the lip and in second gear.

Correctly installed crossmember haha

You have to use the two rearmost holes for the crossmember. Not sure why there is so many holes down there but whatever.

Trans mount height is one 2x4 + random trans mount + 1/8" thick strip of metal = 3.5"

This is going to require a little love from a BFH

You can now slip 3 or 4 pieces of paper between the swaybar and oil pan. The vent tube on the drivers side top of the power steering rack needed to be rotated so it didn't get crushed.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:22 PM   #253
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Very cool, congrats on the progress! Lovin’ this build.

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:00 AM   #254
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Jealous of how nice and straight your frame rails are

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:40 PM   #255
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Well done. I love the green and am sure you'll get that alternator issue sorted out. If not I have a coffin hood for you.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:26 PM   #256
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Haha, thanks guys! The car is super clean, I haven't found any major rust or damage issues, just a bunch of minor dents in the body panels.

So I figured out most of my problems, I won't need that coffin hood after all.
Intake height: Ordered a Holley Lo-Ram manifold, working on picking a throttle body out. It's a little difficult because 105mm is a fairly large throttle body at just over 4", and I need a drive by wire throttle body. Sorting through the options still.

https://www.holley.com/products/inta.../parts/300-621

Alternator height: After looking through ICT Billets huge list of accessory relocation brackets, I thought I found what I wanted, but it showed a truck style water pump, which exits out the top of the pump, interfering with where my new throttle body goes. Rather than buy the wrong brackets (again...) I contacted them and told them what I need. They have excellent customer service and told me exactly what I need. No pic of that yet, so here is one of the engine prepped for the new manifold and accessories.

Another thing I did today...I removed the valve covers because they have a horrible paint job. After bead blasting one, it didn't look a whole lot better. So I did a silly thing and ordered a new set of covers. They were bothering me though, looking all crappy right on top. Speaking of crappy, here's a bad pic of them, the top one is bead blasted.

One thing I forgot, hoping the new manifold allows me to scoot the engine back another inch, there is room with the motor mounts. That would reduce the amount of cutting needed to be able to shift gears.

Last edited by 2turbotoys; 01-24-2020 at 09:50 PM..
Old 01-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #257
77volvo245
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
Haha, thanks guys! The car is super clean, I haven't found any major rust or damage issues, just a bunch of minor dents in the body panels.

Alternator height: After looking through ICT Billets huge list of accessory relocation brackets, I thought I found what I wanted, but it showed a truck style water pump, which exits out the top of the pump, interfering with where my new throttle body goes. Rather than buy the wrong brackets (again...) I contacted them and told them what I need. They have excellent customer service and told me exactly what I need. No pic of that yet, so here is one of the engine prepped for the new manifold and accessories.
2015 camaro water pump uses truck offset accessories. You need to buy the tensioner and the outlet is in a lower position.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:06 PM   #258
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Thanks, that is basically what I got with the addition of a bracket to lower the alternator, which also relocates the power steering. That is now a Corvette ps pump.

So while waiting for parts, I decided to take advantage of the car being inside. And started this nightmare hahaha. The wiring is a huge mess, missing a few things like the plug for the dash dimmer, and a bunch of mystery crap has been added. And of course the heater core leaks, which is why it is ripped apart so far.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:57 PM   #259
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

So today was mostly fun, my intake manifold showed up early and I promptly forgot about the heater core. It was a lot more work to install than I thought, due to it coming in multiple parts, making your own o-rings () and a couple minor problems along the way. It attaches to the engine using studs, which I installed after an initial test fit of the lower manifold. The studs led to it being in a slightly different position, on top of the steam pipe in the rear. A bit of bending the pipe slightly with a BFS, it fit.

I torqued it to 50 inlbs, then on the second torque to 106 inlbs, the top of the stud stripped. Hoping it was a problem with the hardware, I promptly stripped the top off a second stud. After running around town trying to find new studs or long enough bolts I scored long enough bolts. It turns out the stud goes into the head so far that if you use the supplied washers the nut is only 1/2 way on the stud. Removed the washers, and all was well.

Ran out of time so the install is not done, but I really like the way it looks, and the hood will now close.

This rig is so I can use the stock MAP. The hole is for an LS3 MAP but that requires tuning and I am still looking for a local guy to help me out with that. I can barely use Tunerstudio, HP Tuners is beyond me at the moment.

Current status:

Old 01-27-2020, 10:06 PM   #260
Tfrasca
Board Member

Making your own o-rings? That's insane for such an expensive manifold.

Looks great though, so much better than all of the stock GM manifolds I've seen.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:15 PM   #261
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Thanks, I really like the look. The only o-ring that is a pain is the aluminum part on the front.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:35 PM   #262
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

So I was not happy with the valve covers after bead blasting, so I got a set that looks good. Unfortunately, after installing them, I realized there is no way to get the coils to mount back on it. I had a set of ICT Billet coil brackets to replace my super rusty stock ones, but those only fit the stock covers apparently. After a lot of searches and examining various parts, the only ones I could find were 1 set of coil relocation brackets, there wasn't much choice. Unless I bought another set of different new coils...which I am not going to do right now.
Coils are D585 style, p/n 19005218, round with aluminum heatsink on top.

New valve covers:

Assembled relocation brackets

Brackets that didn't work...

If anyone wants the brackets that didn't fit, $45 shipped, mounting bolts included but not pictured.

Pretty sure I will be making new plug wires to get these in also. Learning a lot on this build haha.

Also want to thank JohnMc and Pillow for help with the throttle body problem!
Old 02-09-2020, 12:41 AM   #263
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Stuck in heater core replacement hell for couple days...I didn't even wanna take pics of this nightmare.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:00 PM   #264
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Progress...needed a spacer on the alternator pulley to line up the belt, done. Notch the trans tunnel so I can shift...done. Cut weird little protrusions off the tranny so it doesn't rub..done.
Heater core install got stalled by removing a ton of unnecessary wires, and repairing necessary wires. During that process I found the wire that was killing my K Jet from running...too late for all that though. It was severed where the harness goes through the firewall somehow. The covering was in perfect shape.

Master cylinder held up because of buying the wrong fitting.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:43 PM   #265
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Looking good. Are you planning to use the OE booster with the Wilwood MC?
Old 02-11-2020, 11:54 PM   #266
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Thanks, they aren't connected, the Wilwood is just for the hydraulic throw out bearing for the clutch. I would like to figure out a smaller brake booster though, haven't looked into that yet.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:49 AM   #267
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

As soon as I posted and looked again I noticed just that...derp.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:06 AM   #268
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I wish we could get it down to something that small! The drivers side is getting a bit tight, I guess that's why the single turbo option is more common way to go.

Gotta kick it outta the shop for a few days, dam customers need work done apparently, interrupting the process

But going to pick out my shift lever, knob, and trans mount from Hanlon Motorsports tomorrow, will be fun to pick them out somewhere I can actually see and touch the product in front of me, a nice change from ordering over the internet.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:54 PM   #269
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

So I got the shift lever and knob, happy with them.

Mounting the transmission...that did not go as expected. There was a 3 1/4" gap to fill, and transmission mounts are only 1 3/4" tall. I got some bonus lift time due to a customer dropping off a car much later than expected. We came up with a TB custom space consisting of a piece of aluminum box, 1/4" and 1/8" plate steel. Pretty heavy and not real pretty but it works. Not sure what was supposed to happen here, you can't drop the transmission any lower, the motor mounts get unhappy and spring it back up.

IMPORTANT EDIT: (Ya I leave my dumb screwups in this thread) I should have used a Ford T5 mount, not a Chevy T56 mount. I will be correcting this ASAP.

I was warned by a Tremec guru not to use poly bushings on the trans if using poly bushings on the engine, it can crack the case.

This actually matches the car well even though it looks dark in the pic.

My beautiful mount and spacer arrangement. Soon to be replaced with the correct parts...

Last edited by 2turbotoys; 02-12-2020 at 10:55 PM..
Old 02-13-2020, 12:54 AM   #270
Turbocowgirl

💃❤
Turbocowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:32 AM   #271
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocowgirl View Post
💃❤

We'll have fun in this car
Old 02-13-2020, 03:26 AM   #272
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post

We'll have fun in this car
get a room .. oh wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul buck View Post
I love you even more Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
I expect nothing less from an incel like you, Jack.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:59 PM   #273
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Haha, we already share one.

Got a bunch of fittings and things today to move things along, but really excited for what is arriving tomorrow!!!!!
Old 02-14-2020, 10:02 PM   #274
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I didn't get all of my parts today, but I did get a catch can and multi port fuel regulator that look very nice! The catch can even has a dipstick.

The pressure regulator, for anyone who didn't see my fuel pump set up, is a multi port unit because I am running a surge tank containing two Walbro 255 pumps, and have an output for each pump. They will combine in the regulator. Fuel lines will be 8AN, except between the surge tank and regulator, those are 6AN.

Pics of the surge tank again to make sense of the regulator

Old 02-15-2020, 12:21 AM   #275
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Wow. Dems are some nice looking parts!!!!