home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 10-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #326
volvowagoon
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
Anyone have anything to say about my 9" rear question?
I don't recall this necessarily being the case on a 9". People cut down the driver side tube and run two passenger side axles on 8.8"s all the time though.

1986 Buick Grand National - Restoring to stock™
2002 Camaro V6 T5 +T - The trashy car that's fun to drive
2010 C30 T5 - The boring but trusty daily - 192k
1989 245 DL - The boring but not trusty daily - 226k
IG: @v6buick
volvowagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:40 PM   #327
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Hmm, thanks, that is probably the case.

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:11 PM   #328
77volvo245
Board Member

didn't you buy a 9" rear axle already set up for a 240?
Old 10-11-2020, 09:53 PM   #329
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Yes the brackets are there, but there are some odd things about it. It is from a 77 Bronco. Big bearing, early style. BUT it has disk brake end caps/bearing retainers, and had Grenada calipers on it, Late 70's Broncos had drums. After looking into it the last few days, it seems those end caps were from a Grenada or a Lincoln or something. Who knows, no way to be sure. Were Lincoln or other axles swapped with the retainers? Who knows.

Since I decided to run a Tru Track and 3.89 gears it got more complicated.

I need 35 spline axles (this had 42 spline axles! A 3300 lb rear) and was looking for a way to be sure I get the correct stuff. I guess I will just attempt to measure them, just a bit nervous about making an accurate measurement.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:52 PM   #330
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Maybe someone will need this someday, so here is a shopping list for plumbing the hydro boost brake booster to a Volvo steering rack. This does not include the fitting for the power steering pump because I am using a Corvette pump, who knows what you might use. All parts are rated for hydraulic pressure. This is adapting to the factory power steering high pressure line.
All are Russell part numbers:

Hydroboost to 6 AN fittings
648060 16mm x 1.5 O-ring to 6AN
648080 18mm x 1.5 O-ring

6an to Volvo power steering line
648070 14mm x 1.5 O-ring to 6AN
620401 -6 AN Hose to Female -6 AN

90 degree 6an hose fittings, qty 3

Hose, 10 ft, 2000 psi, rubber hose with SS braid
Old 10-20-2020, 01:17 AM   #331
Arn02
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
Really cool this.

The 245 GT

The Euromurican
Arn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:46 PM   #332
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Thanks, I should have all the parts to finish it this week, just waiting for them.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:03 PM   #333
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Worked on the intake today, it is a bit of a squeeze. The upper radiator hose doesn't work now, and the overflow from the radiator needs to change to a right angle. The solution to the radiator hose issue is gonna be a little crazy, have to run it straight down, across the radiator, and back up, but I guess that will work fine.

Hydro boost goodies have arrived, so going to finish that off soon.

Also been working on the rally gauge pod, hope to have that done soon also. Stack gauges now fit perfectly and it is ready for primer and paint.

Waiting on PCV bulkhead fittings to drill the valve covers also.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:14 PM   #334
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Figured out several issues with the coolant lines, every single line was an issue. Ordered the parts to fix that, will post more about it when I get them. I'm not sure how others have fixed this issue, no one talks about it in their thread that I have seen. Cutting the rad support back would have made it a lot easier, but that is a whole different set of issues.
The overflow nipple on the Champion radiator is 3/8-28 UNS, which is an impossible fitting to find. So I drilled and tapped it to 1/8" NPT. It needs to point straight down to not hit the air filter.

I made my first set of hydraulic lines to plumb the hydro boost. I now know why people do not like stainless braid coated lines, that **** hurts when it bites you. I won't post a pic of my sliced up fingers haha.

On air filters, I prefer S&B because they have a velocity stack style transition from the element to the intake pipe, and you can get any dimension filter you want. But they, and every other manufacturer is backordered for a couple weeks! K&N aren't, but they don't make the size I want.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:21 PM   #335
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I've been working on the cooling system issues that arose when fitting the intake piping, and have figured it out. Still a couple minor things to do to insure that coolant lines don't hit the belt system, but no biggie. And yes, I know how crazy this looks but I don't have may options. I added a stop to a crimping tool made for flat metal to crimp the edge of the tubing, forgot to take pics but I'll add some later.

Also I finally got my rally gauge pod done. That was a bit more work that anticipated, but pretty much everything is on this project.

Upper radiator hose

Lower hose, needed a swivel thermostat housing to install it

Installed upper hose

Gauge pod

Old 11-07-2020, 11:03 AM   #336
BillyMaysHere
Board Member

You foresee and coolant burping issues with the double high points in the line? Super tidy work man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Was a sandals-and-socks elbow-patch-cardigan-wearing bearded college-professor 10mph-under-the-limit-in-the-fast-lane typical Volvo buyer from 1993 really caring about some sort of limited edition numbering?
BillyMaysHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:10 PM   #337
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Thanks! I am a little concerned with air pockets, I may add a bleeder or two, not sure how that is going to work out yet. The radiator is the highest point still, so hopefully there won't be a problem.

One thing that has been annoying me is how crowded it is at the front of the engine bay, so I decided to move the radiator forward. Unfortunately this meant some cutting. This isn't finished yet, pardon the rough cuts. I did gain 2 inches of clearance so it will be worth it once I figure out how to secure the radiator and fan shroud.

I also cut out the rusty battery tray, underneath it was the only rusty spot I have found on the car. Cleaned that up and painted it with Eastwood rust encapsulator.

The battery tray will be replaced with a "shelf" to mount the surge tank and fuel filters.

My pipe crimping tool, I just drilled and tapped an M6 bolt through the handle.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:49 PM   #338
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Mounting the radiator was a small challenge, since it is stuffed under the front panel I couldn't easily use the standard "c" type retainer. Plus the fan shroud had to be held on there as well. After coming up with a few stupid ideas, I decided to weld tabs on the sides and mount it to what remained of the vertical supports that go alongside of the radiator. And while welding is going on, might as well just weld the fan shroud to the radiator. I can't weld aluminum so I took it to a local custom metal fab shop The Odd Shop, where my new buddy Joe welded it up for me. He does some cool stuff there.

I also roughed out the surge tank support tray, it fits well, but it started raining and I'm working outside so things are temporarily on hold.

1/8" thick mounting tabs in place

Shroud welded in. The clips for the fan bolts are good ones, they have a nut welded to the back instead of the stamped steel type.

Back where I started but welding complete

Surge tank platform, it's steel. Will be dimple died and painted after I figure out where the surge tank will mount.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:57 PM   #339
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Beautiful work!

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:21 PM   #340
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Thanks! I'm trying hard to keep it clean and a pro looking finish. As much as I realistically can haha
Old 11-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #341
Grendel
Board Member

I probably missed it, what radiator is that?

It's perfect for the L83 I am putting into my 245.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:18 PM   #342
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

It's for a C4 Corvette, I got the radiator, shroud, fans, and wiring from Ledfoot Racing, it is a Champion radiator.

https://www.championradiators.com/Ch...roud-1984-1990
Old 11-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #343
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Mounted the radiator today, I used rubber washers in a weak attempt to soak up some vibrations. But overall I gained about 2" of clearance so I'm happy with that.

The mounting plate for the surge tank is almost done, just needs paint or powder coating. I might have had a bit too much fun with the dimple die but whatever, I'm happy with that result also.

Ready to drill

Finished, ready to prep for paint

Old 11-17-2020, 08:58 PM   #344
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I finished the surge tank mount and installed it. I hope 8 AN 90 degree fittings clear the hood...

Reinstalled the coolant lines and intake to see if moving the radiator helped much. It helped a lot! I still need to finish a clamp to keep the upper radiator hose away from the crank pulley, ran out of daylight today. Pretty sure no one has said that before. A bit of frozen rain didn't help much either.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:06 PM   #345
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Be honest, how giddy do you get each time you pop that hood to work on it?

Such good stuff going on here!
Old 11-17-2020, 09:48 PM   #346
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Thanks! Ya I do love popping the hood, it is a mixed bag of being happy with what I have done and anxiety over what has to be done still. And how to pay for the parts. The true definition of being nickel and dimed to death lol. But I did get a great score from my neighbor last night, big bag of Fragola AN fittings and hose for $50. Mostly 6AN stuff but I do need a bunch of that.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:52 AM   #347
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Nice, I love when things seem to fall together like that. All my neighbors are either retired and watch their grass grow or obsessed with golfing...only gear head around here. Another reminder I need to move.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:24 PM   #348
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I got the fuel filters and multipump fuel mounted today. I'm running out of room for stuff quickly haha. The filters will both have 30 degree fittings (like the fitting on the left filter) to route the fuel lines under the strut tower cover, where the headlight wires go. A return line from the surge tank will also go through there. All those lines are 6 AN. It will be 8 AN to the fuel rail, and the return line from the regulator and surge tank will merge into an 8 AN return line.

Yes the hood closes fine with the regulator mounted there.

Anyone have any extra 8 AN stuff they want to sell or trade for? I need a bunch of 90 degrees fittings, a straight, and hose.

Not a great pic, was in a hurry.

Old 11-29-2020, 05:15 PM   #349
KwikBrik245
Board Member

Lovin' it! I also toyed with the idea of an electric water pump. Decided against it for the same reasons as electric oil pump for turbos... lack of flow and an unnecessary draw. I have thought of using a smaller electric circulation pump when the engine is off, for those hot days between runs. Just gotta figure out how w/o restricting flow for the mechanical pump.

'88 744, Twin Turbo LS1/T56, Grizzly locked Dana 30.
KwikBrik245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:41 PM   #350
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Thanks!

I also considered an electric waterpump, but after talking to a bunch of people I decided not to. They are really just for drag racing and are apparently unreliable for everyday use. You could probably create a new coolant circuit by Ting into a heater hose and adding a bung on the radiator, idk, there must be a way.