home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 11-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #76
cosbySweater
Board Member

Love the manifold. If it were me personally I would have machined the head to accept the injectors or used the b21f flange and runners due to there being no obstruction
2013 VW Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #77
msweeney
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
Love the manifold. If it were me personally I would have machined the head to accept the injectors or used the b21f flange and runners due to there being no obstruction
Yeah, originally I was just going to throw this one together as a simple single chamber job and just get the car running, so I just chucked it on top of the OE flange. The plan was to then go back and do a fancy manifold with all fancy parts. Whatever, I still have a good aftermarket flange, maybe I'll do Mk.2 manifold after testing this one.

C'est la vie, you know?

1975 245 - In progress: B230F swap, Holset HX35, SVS top mount header, MSII, T5, other stuff...
msweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #78
andysbeta
thrsh

Location: Mancos, CO (no longer the Central Valley Smog Bank)

good to see a car i rescued parked since 1983 is still here. not like anyone here cares.
andysbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #79
msweeney
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysbeta View Post
good to see a car i rescued parked since 1983 is still here. not like anyone here cares.
I sure do, this has been a great car to work on because of how little rust it has. After this, it'll be ready for another 40 years!
Old 07-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #80
msweeney
Board Member

So, I didn't work on this thing for a few years, but I just started again a couple weeks back and I'm getting pretty excited to drive it after all this time. Anyways, I'm almost done plumbing and wiring, and I'm like 99% done with fabrication (for now, lol...).

So there's a bunch in this photo that's new, throttle body and cable are sorted, manifold is done, IAC is in and wired, CAS mounted, I made a catch can and plumbed/mounted it, moved my FPR, and started plumbing the oil and fuel systems.

I sent an old cooler that had been replaced after a blow up out for ultrasonic cleaning, then mounted it when it came back.

Found another good use for the old motor mounts, lol.

Hotside of the engine bay coming together, I'll be making oil and fuel lines at lunch today. Hopefully my new gas tank will show up so I can plumb in the sender and access plate/filler neck. Getting close to finding out what leaks!
Old 07-20-2021, 01:45 PM   #81
cosbySweater
Board Member

nice to see something happening with this? where is the catch can venting too? is there another port on it?
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:23 PM   #82
msweeney
Board Member

I have a little screw in bung I haven't put on it yet. This motor still needs to come out and I have some **** to dust off while it's out...
Old 07-21-2021, 09:37 AM   #83
brickborg
Board Member

Hell yeah, I missed this the first time around and just caught up on the whole thread. You are a rad dude doing rad stuff- 11/10 excellent bolbo.
brickborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:26 AM   #84
msweeney
Board Member

Plumbing:

Plumbing:

Plumbing?

De-plumbing:

Re-plumbing:

A couple more hoses and this thing is plumbed. Waiting on my fittings to convert my sender to -6 AN, then the install of the DW301 in-tank purchased in 1992 (not really, but seriously old) may finally commence. If that's not enough it'll be easy to make up some new lines and chuck an 044 on a little bolt-on tray, so cut me some slack, I'm literally only cutting the corners I want to because it's easier that way.

Once that's done, I need to clean up the install and run the lines, but then I guess it's time to pull the motor and get the chassis ready for final install...
Old 07-24-2021, 01:29 AM   #85
msweeney
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickborg View Post
Hell yeah, I missed this the first time around and just caught up on the whole thread. You are a rad dude doing rad stuff- 11/10 excellent bolbo.
Thanks dude, you're alright yourself. I hope it was a good read; I've heard the plot jumps around a bit.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:19 PM   #86
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

im glad i didn't just reread this thread from a no purpose ghost bump.

Hows the body? Rust situation still in control?
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:42 PM   #87
msweeney
Board Member

Haha, I'm just glad there's progress being made here.

The body seems really, really solid, no signs of anything to worry about. I was a little nervous at first because there was enough grime on the bottom to hide pretty much anything, but I've drilled LOTS of holes in this thing and haven't found any bad metal yet. I think it's been in dry climates it's whole life, and it's probably spent a total of 25 year sitting indoors with stuff stacked on it (I added a few more than I thought I would, lol), which definitely helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
im glad i didn't just reread this thread from a no purpose ghost bump.

Hows the body? Rust situation still in control?
Old 08-04-2021, 11:53 AM   #88
msweeney
Board Member

Not a ton of progress, as August is always crazy, so in between IMSA trips, Monterey Reunion prep, and school starting (wife is a teacher, and we have kids) there's not a ton to report. Still, I am bloody, but advancing...

Got the fuel system finished, as follows: New tank, new sender (modified for a bulkhead wiring pass-through fitting and -6 compression fittings, pickup tube shortened to work with new tank, DW301 pump installed), -6AN braided lines to and from engine bay, Porsche 928/964 fuel filter, AEM regulator.

tank and sender:

The sender wiring will get cleaned up, since I only need the level and ground.

And we're back to wiring, since I'll have to add stuff to keep plumbing...

I don't have any real work travel until October after this weekend, so I'm really hoping to make this thing run in September.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:00 PM   #89
msweeney
Board Member

Alright! So, with the old car races out of the way for a minute, I'm back to working on the Spanish Inquisition here.

I figured out the rats nest on top of the engine was actually just the wires for the coils, so I wired those up and it really tied the room together:

Then I checked out the primary motor and remembered I gave the camshaft to an employee, so I definitely need to do something about that. For some reason the guy I bought the engine from built a motor with H-beams and forged pistons, then put B cam in it. I'm assuming he was going to swap it, too...

So I pulled this out of the Camshaft Exhibit of the NOS Parts Museum:

Hope it's good!

Whatever you have to say about RSI stuff, you have to admit this is 100% more cam than this motor had before, lol.

Started working on this fuse panel that was started in like 2013:

And I ordered some standoffs and will hack something up to have the panel live something like this:

Got an Autometer wideband because I've heard they're decent and I like the look of their analog guage. I'm sticking with all analog because I like the vibe of it. I also got a 30psi SW Classic gauge for a Peterbilt 352and an R-Sport cluster that's been on my shelf for a decade to finish out the instruments with a if-Volvo-went-IMSA-GTO-racing vibe.

Getting close!