home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 11-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
pillowball
Board Member

Default Yet another question about 5-gauge rally cluster for 140s

Hi all,

Another question about the 5-gauge rally cluster I got for my 142. I went ahead and installed it yesterday and it's clear I'll need to be patient and get the right senders for the fuel and temp gauges. But my rpm gauge is also not functioning and I'm hoping there are some suggestions. So the rally cluster's tach came with three spade connectors at the back, the outer ones of which are already connected to the rats nest of wiring. So I assumed that the middle one was the one that needed to be connected to the electronic ignition, with the other two for the ground and the lighting. But there's no movement on the gauge, so I'm wondering if the wiring is mixed up. If there are suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
pillowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
hiperfauto
The Librarian

The three connections at the back of the tach are +12 volts, ground and the negative side of the coil. Make sure you have power at the tach with the key on and a good ground connection.
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
pillowball
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
The three connections at the back of the tach are +12 volts, ground and the negative side of the coil. Make sure you have power at the tach with the key on and a good ground connection.
Is there a single ground for the entire cluster? Because the gauge lighting doesn't work either and the rheostat has been cleaned and appears to be in good shape.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #4
hiperfauto
The Librarian

There are 2 grounds in the instrument cluster connectors, both are grey wires. Terminal 4 is the ground for the turn signal indicator, terminal 11 is the ground for the instrument lights.

hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
RP80242GT+T
R-Sport Cluster Guy

Rheostat is probably toast, like every one that I've gotten for restoration. Did you rev it to see if it moved? Those tachs read low sometimes and need adjusting. Which side of the cool are you putting the wire?
2006 Mini Cooper S GP number 1148
1989 240 Wagon " The Beast" Daily Driver
RP80242GT+T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
pillowball
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP80242GT+T View Post
Rheostat is probably toast, like every one that I've gotten for restoration. Did you rev it to see if it moved? Those tachs read low sometimes and need adjusting. Which side of the cool are you putting the wire?
I didn't detect any movement in the RPM needle during my drive. Regarding the wire, what's the "cool?" Sorry if I'm missing something. The wire leading to the RPM gauge is in the center spade connector, the only one that was free.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
RP80242GT+T
R-Sport Cluster Guy

Oops. Stupid phones like to change words. I didn't see it. Coil is what I meant
RP80242GT+T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #8
pillowball
Board Member

I just cut the wire from my old standalone tach, which worked perfectly, and connected it to the tach in the new gauge cluster, so it's connected correctly to the coil.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #9
foggyjames
Ryan's spanner monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Bump!

I'm bumping this post because it contains by far the most relevant image I've yet found for a job I need to do on my 164.

It has a standard early bar-type instrument cluster with the "option bay" (for a logo, column-change auto position indicator, overdrive light...or even, seen once, a choke light - not the OD/Choke combo on the 72MY cars). Mine is an M410 car, but at some point someone has removed the original overdrive warning light and replaced it with the dual (OD/choke) graphic from a 72MY car...although the clusters are actually notably different, so that was never going to work.

I sourced a replacement overdrive lamp housing (good effort, I thought!), but it just has spade terminals on the end, not the correct two-pin connector which plugs into the back of the cluster.

I need to get a connector to mate with what I believe to be the equivalent of pins 15 and 16 on the diagram copied above. The original connector houses two female contacts in an obround i.e. round-ended rectangle) plastic housing, with a pin pitch of 5mm. They are the same type of pin as used elsewhere on the cluster (and also on a load of other things, including up to late 240s).

What I'm aiming to find out is who the manufacturer of the connectors (for a late 240, will do) is, so I can start tracking down a two-pin version with the right pitch. A minor detail, perhaps, but the devil's in the detail...!

cheers

James
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'80 343 DL
'70 164 - Under Restoration

PM me if you're looking for Euro parts!
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:11 PM   #10
foggyjames
Ryan's spanner monkey

Found this as soon as I'd posted that...!
https://www.240turbo.com/blackvinyl.html#240clusterplug

I'll email Dave...

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote