home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 06-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #226
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk 40 View Post
And thats your contribution to the technical aspects here.

Thanks
How has your contribution been in the least bit productive, you haven't answered any of the OP'S questions, you've just burnt up 9 pages of internet telling us how stupid we are.
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:09 PM   #227
2manyturbos

Quote:
would the large team make the motor any more significant than what you posted. Now you8 know its a stupid statement are you really gonna try to argue it by asking me a totally unrelated question. Man just stop. It was totally ignorant to say but you did and now its done. And of course Mercedes does no engineering collaborations.

Can I be excused now b4 this get any more ridiculous?? we produce a product that is the collaboration of 3 full shifts and about 1700 personnel per.

What will help is if u stop posting un truths and the most ridiculous things like that so I wont have to quote them. Thanks
The only thing that is ridiculous is how you pretend not to understand what culberro actually wrote above. Spend your time rereading his statement until you understand what he said so you don't keep misquoting him in an attempt to blow smoke up everybody's skirt on here. When you can actually recite what he said verbatim, and get it right, come back on here if you like.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:16 PM   #228
bobxyz
Board Member

Wow, you folks have been busy. For everyone who is contributing clear and useful information, THANK YOU! It's always great to learn new things from those who are willing to share and who can teach well.

HK - thank you for starting some interesting discussions, but I'm afraid I have a very hard time understanding your posts and deciphering what you actually know versus what you cut and paste from elsewhere. I view you recommendations on high voltage EV Inverter designs to be sorely lacking and extremely dangerous if actually attempted. For these reasons, and others, I'm hereby ignoring all yours posts. I can learn much more, and way more easily, elsewhere.

To be clear, I'm in no way shape or form an expert on EVs or on high voltage automotive power electronics, but I do know that the currents and [oops, hit the wrong button, let me finish] voltages involved are lethal, and that power transistors and batteries can be very unforgiving of the slightest mistake. If there are any of my posts where I'm claiming to be a EV or high voltage automotive power electronics expert, please point them out and I'll gladly correct them.

That being said, I do have a 4year degree from an east coast tech school, plus almost 40 years experience in a wide range of electronics and software designs. The last time I did anything with a BLDC motor was over 25 years ago (I was lead servo engineer on Exabyte's first half-height tape drive).

As far as citing and linking my sources, I always try to do that so others can learn/review on their own, but more importantly, so I can find the links myself in the future.

Last edited by bobxyz; 06-16-2021 at 03:31 PM..
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:26 PM   #229
hk 40
Banned

You all have a very wonderful evening.
The anger and belligerence is way too much for me...i guess like the rest of the insane people in America thats how you get your points across. America is worse than it's ever been with this culture and we are getting dumber and dumber in manufacturing because the little Chinese kids are highly versed in robotics and can build drives and inverters and your kids will obviously be buying their products. I expected more from the Netherlands... though. Im truly flabbergasted. Were gonna be the laughing stocks of the western world. U see the Volvos in Europe.....we really have nothing here but yet you are all so proud. And bob I dont care if you listen to me your post about the ic shows me you aren't capable of learning much outside what you think you already know. That doesnt hurt me it hurts you!

Hubert

Last edited by hk 40; 06-16-2021 at 03:32 PM..
hk 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:31 PM   #230
2manyturbos

Quote:
The anger and belligerence is way too much for me...i guess like the rest of the insane people in America thats how you get your points across. America is worse than it's ever been with this culture and we are getting dumber and dumber in manufacturing because the little Chinese kids are highly versed in robotics and can build drives and inverters and your kids will obviously be buying their products. I expected more from the Netherlands... though. Im truly flabbergasted. Were gonna be the laughing stocks of the western world. U see the Volvos in Europe.....we really have nothing here but yet you are all so proud.

Hubert
Are you going to take your toys and go home? You keep saying that, yet, here you are again.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:33 PM   #231
hk 40
Banned

How can i leave if you keep talking to me? or about me. Why are you a mod with such a nasty deposition towards me? You dont personally know me or have ever said a single thing kind. You dont exactly set a good example calling my work that's stated as too complex for here toys.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:41 PM   #232
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
How can i leave if you keep talking to me? or about me. Why are you a mod with such a nasty deposition towards me? You dont personally know me or have ever said a single thing kind. You dont exactly set a good example calling my work that's stated as too complex for here toys.
Have you ever thought of not hitting the "reply" button? Its a pretty simple idea to wrap your massive brain around.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:41 PM   #233
hk 40
Banned

do you
Old 06-16-2021, 03:44 PM   #234
RvolvoR
Board Member

lolwut.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:06 PM   #235
kyote
Living The Dream

Quote:
But why is it you cannot help the EVers here to build a better more efficient motor? If you are the expert why cannot you simply wind a better machine? If you are at the pinnacle why is it you have no direct correspondence with the best motor and inverter creators in the world? And buy off the shelf equipment? You know the ones that design all this crap you buy off shelves. You better check and see who holds the patents on all these machine topologies and control algorithms. Its about 50 patents on all related tech from my colleagues where are yours? Why are your statements about the IC inaccurate and full oversite? Please explain....all this to the forum.

Dieter Gerling
Dajuku Guraquk
Sariful Islam
Konstatin Kenellis
Daoud Omara
JUST TO NAME A FEW

You look them up then you will know the accuracy of your rulers...
Because, this thread is about building a homemade junkyard bottle rocket not a NASA freaking spaceship.
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #236
2manyturbos

Quote:
According to you, I should praise you for calling nearly everyone on this thread and other threads an idiot or worse? Your ego is so out of control it is astounding. Take your toys and go home is an American saying as old as the hills. It has nothing to do with your attempted contributions in this thread. It describes a child like person throwing a tantrum. Does that ring a bell?
Old 06-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #237
2manyturbos

Quote:
The anger and belligerence is way too much for me...i guess like the rest of the insane people in America thats how you get your points across. America is worse than it's ever been with this culture and we are getting dumber and dumber in manufacturing because the little Chinese kids are highly versed in robotics and can build drives and inverters and your kids will obviously be buying their products. I expected more from the Netherlands... though. Im truly flabbergasted. Were gonna be the laughing stocks of the western world. U see the Volvos in Europe.....we really have nothing here but yet you are all so proud. And bob I dont care if you listen to me your post about the ic shows me you aren't capable of learning much outside what you think you already know. That doesnt hurt me it hurts you!

Hubert
Nothing but assumptions. Do you know the saying about assumptions? You don't know a thing about Bobxyz. Neither do I. Yet, you attempt to insult him. That's pretty shallow from someone that thinks they are so intelligent. That probably isn't even his real name, Bob. My guess is "Bob" can learn very rapidly.

My son is a project engineering manager that does rapid prototyping for countless corporations. ME/EE and software design. I'm sure Chinese people are using products he was responsible for as I'm typing this. Speak for yourself.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:57 PM   #238
tintintin
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Braking performance and feedback is a pain to tune. As well as the transition from throttle-coast-brake...

...It’s hard when you want a performance EV to behave like the ICE version in some cases, but then be full hulk mode EV power in others.
That is truly thought-provoking. Over the last 100 years we have gotten used to driving according to inherent ICE behaviors. EV has some different inherent behaviors and maybe we can do better to change our expectations/driving methods to match those behaviors and/or capabilities
Doesn't the BMW i3 implement more of a one-pedal driving experience by executing regen braking on accel pedal liftoff? And they market it as a more relaxing driving experience?

Sorry for the derail; back to the scheduled program...
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:01 PM   #239
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:

You got that right because when industry tell you that a reinhart @ $5,475.00 is cost effective
that should tell people the game they are playing with themselves here.....

and hasnt turbobricks been advised already that with their budget they might build a scooter but a real effort would probably need a collaboration? Slow isnt even a good enuf word to describe it.

$14.99 will get you a Harbor Frieght angle grinder to molest the springs on your sub $500 Volvo and that's about it.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:03 PM   #240
kyote
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintintin View Post
That is truly thought-provoking. Over the last 100 years we have gotten used to driving according to inherent ICE behaviors. EV has some different inherent behaviors and maybe we can do better to change our expectations/driving methods to match those behaviors and/or capabilities
Doesn't the BMW i3 implement more of a one-pedal driving experience by executing regen braking on accel pedal liftoff? And they market it as a more relaxing driving experience?

Negative, that is the Apple car.
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #241
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintintin View Post

Leaf, e-Golf, 500e, tesla everything, they all offer some level of "engine" braking on off throttle.

The e-Golf has 3 modes for regen braking depending on how hard you want it to pull you down. With it in max regen mode, I can let off the throttle on a 300 ft long off ramp and go from 75 to less than 5 by the time I hit the stop sign. On a hill, I can let off 3-5 car lengths from 25 and be stopped before the cross walk.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:35 PM   #242
dalek
Benchracer Tribe

And then, there is clown sex
"Use the barbed adapter like what I use to inflate the air camping mattresses and my dates." FTF Engineering
i am inspired. i will replace my windsheild... with an intercooler.swedishK
Feedback!
dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:21 PM   #243
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

The new Bolt features one pedal driving.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:24 PM   #244
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

We had a Linde rental diesel forklift, it actually had a VW turbo diesel, and aCVT transmission that would engine brake very quickly to a complete stop, I don't think I ever used the brake pedal.
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:10 PM   #245
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
The new Bolt features one pedal driving.
It also activates the brake lights when you let off. Safety.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:40 PM   #246
gross polluter
They see me trollin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
It also activates the brake lights when you let off. Safety.
Is there a certain deceleration threshold in which it activates the brake lights other than just letting off the pedal? I have zero experience with single pedal driving, but it is my understanding they can stop pretty quick. Seems like at some rate of deceleration you'd want the brake lights to come on to indicate the vehicle is slowing at a rate that's greater than a coast.

1968 Furd Rustang fastberk | 2JZGTE VVTi | MS3X ECU | PT6776S | 4L80e Microsquirt TCU Sloppy Transbrake | 3.73 8.8" rear end

1981 Piper Cherokee Archer II | Garmin GTN 750 | Ly-Con O-360
gross polluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:01 AM   #247
tintintin
Board Member

Wonder how long until I can find one of these in the JY?

https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesm...electric-motor

This is the part I liked: "The result is a highly efficient small engine that you can even pick up in your hands, but can accelerate a two-ton car to 60 mph in 2 seconds."
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:45 AM   #248
hk 40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post

$14.99 will get you a Harbor Frieght angle grinder to molest the springs on your sub $500 Volvo and that's about it.

Tell me about it. Wait till he wants a good safe charger for it...

Look what his budget will buy him at thunderstruck EV. Now why would a real engineer buy this for 2500 dollars? No batteries. No charger and no connection to his transmission and only 32 kw. Look at the controller . It is a 1236 curtis that is better than sevcon but the drive is no more powerful than the drive he can build with the exact schematics posted for probably under 200 dollars. What will he do the 1/4 in with this? Not to mention if its so advanced why do I have a motor that weighs only 448 grams and a drive 200 grams that can do this at >95% efficiency this cant and certainly weighs more than slightly less than 1 and a half pounds if you dont know what 648 grams is....

Here are the voltage and amperage numbers for his controller in his 2500.00 package

Now if he cant follow a build thread on the drive thats already shown to run great I showed him that will do these numbers he won't graduate! If he did and couldn't the degree is worthless.... would you hire such a person that would be tasked to design so much more? You see that one fet in the circuit I showed can carry 195 amperes at over 70 volts. To upgrade this 2500.00 GO KART PACKAGE to a 96 volt system he has to add 1095.00 so now he's at 3500.00 for really nothing. Why not buy a warp 9 for 2500.00 bolt it to his m46 or whatever he has and build a brushed controller for it. If he doesn't know anything about how to safely put the car together it wont matter if it is diy or off the shelf. Shorting the batteries will be dangerous in any situation. You test drives inside a safety cell which he also builds himself for next to nothing and you see the IC has safety features implemented and meets automotive standards. Charging the vehicle with the right topology will also be key to his safety. He cannot do much with an EV without one of them. That ups the price

This logic u see here in its entirety has essentially zero to do with the voltage and current of the bridge it can drive in the first place. Gross overcite comes from someone that does not know anything about inverter design. Anyone that thinks that is NASA really should not waste alot of time talking here.... The drive already runs and is tested. The one posted is shunted for 120 amperes and thats the limit he set buy his board design and shunts he selected. The fets can do more and the water cooled chassis was suggested pages ago....

If you are scared to build it all it truly means you're not at this so be quiet then. Thats sad when its a build thread with working drive including a bom and schematics just like any build article here members have followed.

Spend the 3500 for a nice scooter package instead. Ill stick with my suggestion on the warp 9. There has been alot of nonsense posted here. Who deosn't know if the are an electrical genius that its much less danger dealing with a full DC system and much less daunting to build a motor drive for a series wound brushed motor. The IC will do either. Major malfunctions here because it morphed from hobbling JY pieces together to full on OEM ev partnered with Cascadia at over 30,000.00 USD before a drive train, batteries, or charger has been implemented.
If he wants to spend 3500.00 dollars for the alibaba EV systems shown @ 32Kw be my guest I know immediately who has more fun.

Last edited by hk 40; 06-17-2021 at 07:00 AM..
Old 06-17-2021, 07:15 AM   #249
hk 40
Banned

He could also just buy the damn 200 volt 300 amp dc bridge for and control it with simple Arduino commands.

True heavy load copper track can handle very high peak currents and 200A continuous current.
Isolated RS232/485 connection with full access of controll registers and much more usefull adjustable parameters.
Advanced PCB layout technik.
High speed 32bit Cortex processor.
Connection with high current M6 screws.
Built with 3.4mOhm ultra low resistance MOSFETs
Adjustable 4 operation modes: 1. normal potentiometer 2. magnetic hall throttle (with 0.5-4,5V output) 3. direct PWM input (0-95%) 4. RC PWM input 1,5ms +/-1ms
2 quadrant operation (drive CW and regenerative brake CW)
Low warming and capable to accept heatsink.
20kHz switching frequency
Duty cycle: 0-97%
Universal 0-5V speed controller input. You don't have to use the potentiometer to controll the speed. You can use PLC
output or any analog signal or PWM signap from uPC or RC receiver PWM signal.
Regenerative braking (you can brake the motor and get back all the kinetic energy into the battery)
For the highest safety the regenerative braking never substitutes the ordinary brake!
Adjustable ramp speed. 0-20sec. (acceleration limit)
Normal current continuous limit is adjustable between 0-200A
Switchable peak current ON or normal strict current limit
Peak current 300A for 5 seconds.
Adjustable regenerative current.
Universal supply voltage between 22-200V DC.
Dimensions: 220 x 135 x 50 mm
Note: For the maximum power you have to add extra heatsink to the aluminium block. The aluminium block is predilled with M4 holes.
900g

Space age for the goof troop @ an amazing $320.00 .....

So far he's at 60Kw for 2,800.00. A warp 9 can be overvolted and overamped with modified brushes in 10 sec runs to put out over 500 hp up in the thousand ampere range. He says efficiency points don't matter. He should be able to see what a couple in inefficiency does here, but he doesn't care about nearly 20 which puts him around 80% from 100. About 12,000 watts of doesn't really matter to be dissipated at those performance levels... I see all the genius around the statements that are made here from the on start that the "turbobricks way" is the foolish I don't know what Im talking about way.

Last edited by hk 40; 06-17-2021 at 07:36 AM..
Old 06-17-2021, 08:28 AM   #250
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gross polluter View Post
Is there a certain deceleration threshold in which it activates the brake lights other than just letting off the pedal? I have zero experience with single pedal driving, but it is my understanding they can stop pretty quick. Seems like at some rate of deceleration you'd want the brake lights to come on to indicate the vehicle is slowing at a rate that's greater than a coast.
The e-golf has a % meter and at 20% or more in the regen area the brake lights kick on. Definitely not a one pedal car, but feels like a high compression na downshift. Won’t pull you all the way to a stop unless you’re on a hill. The Tesla model s is much more aggressive if you set it that way.