home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-01-2021, 02:41 PM   #1
DoubleV

Question BMW Wheel Fitment... Is it Possible??

Hey! Hope everyone has been well!

My beloved S80 will be needing a new set of tires at some point. I had a BMW wagon for years that had a great set of 20 inch wheels, which I was always really happy with. When I sold the BMW, I swapped it back to stock wheels and hung onto the dubs since I figured I wouldn't see any more or less for the wagon with or without them, and they had plenty of tread left too.

Since selling the BMW, I've been debating selling the 20 inch wheels, and even listed them on Craigslist for a price I'd have trouble refusing, but lately I got to thinking... Could I get these BMW wheels to fit on my Volvo? (And also in doing so, fulfill my childhood dream of riding around in a Volvo on dubs! )

I'll preface, I have my doubts this is do-able... I'm basically sure it isn't... But I figured I'd check in with the Hive-mind here and see what's up. And maybe get a bit of an education on offsets as well.

So, I've got my 2007 S80 with stock 18 inch wheels – To the best of my knowledge, the stock rims are 8 inches wide. I do not know what the offset is, so hopefully someone with knowledge there can chime in. The tires on the stock Volvo wheels are 245/40R-18.

Here is a picture for refrence:

As for the 20 inch BMW wheels that fit on (what used to be) my 2001 525i wagon – These wheels are 8.5” wide. Their offset is 20mm. The tires mounted on them are 245/35R-20.

I know that the BMW wheels and tires are slightly taller, and wider too. It's also worth noting, my car is sitting on lowering springs, which dropped it about an inch. They were installed by a previous owner, so I don't know the brand. They're red for what it's worth.

So here is what I am wondering...

Is it at all possible that I can get these 20's to fit on my S80?

And, if this actually is possible... Any ideas as to my range for acceptable thickness of the adapters?

Also, any recs on where to get said adapters?

Here are a couple listings I have found for wheel adapters so far:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402504934465

https://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Ad...5425-5120w.htm

All advice, thoughts, and nay-saying is welcome.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for the help!
Old 07-01-2021, 03:14 PM   #2
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

you will have to do math. Minimum adapter thickness is 15mm. Measure, measure, and measure again.

But no, there is no way E39 wheels will fit your S80 without hacking the fenders.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:13 PM   #3
DoubleV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
you will have to do math. Minimum adapter thickness is 15mm. Measure, measure, and measure again.

But no, there is no way E39 wheels will fit your S80 without hacking the fenders.
Yeah, I had figured as much... Do you, or does anyone else know what the stock offset is for the Volvo wheels I have?
DoubleV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:20 PM   #4
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Pull one off and check the cast marks

I think it's in the 50mm range.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:25 PM   #5
DoubleV

Quote:
Pull one off and check the cast marks

I think it's in the 50mm range.
I appreciate you humoring me.

So hypothetically, if the Volvo wheel is 50mm, and the BMW wheel is 20mm. A 30mm adapter attaching the BMW wheels to the Volvo would be like the wheels having a 50mm offset? Or would the offset be -10?

//Edit: Also, the wheels you have on the 240 in your sig are dope!!
Old 07-01-2021, 06:41 PM   #6
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleV View Post

So hypothetically, if the Volvo wheel is 50mm, and the BMW wheel is 20mm. A 30mm adapter attaching the BMW wheels to the Volvo would be like the wheels having a 50mm offset? Or would the offset be -10?

You are thinking of it the wrong way. A 30mm Adapter would give the E39 wheel an offset of -10mm (so half of the tire, plus an additional 10mm).

This is a useful tool to visualize this stuff:

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

PS, those are E39 17x8" Style 42s at ET0 and ET-5. They barely fit
Old 07-01-2021, 10:22 PM   #7
daijoubanai
waste of skin and blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleV View Post

Yeah the S80 uses pretty high offset. I have S80 wheels on my S70 and I'm using a 10mm spacer front 15mm rear just to push them out a bit.

If you put a 30mm spacer on a 20mm offset wheel it would be -10, and that would even stick out of the fender by a lot.

If you want wheels for the S80 you might as well just get some with the correct bolt pattern and offset. Even if you were to re-drill the wheels you have the 20mm offset would still be too low unless you want to roll the fenders.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #8
DoubleV

Quote:
You are thinking of it the wrong way. A 30mm Adapter would give the E39 wheel an offset of -10mm (so half of the tire, plus an additional 10mm).

This is a useful tool to visualize this stuff:

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

PS, those are E39 17x8" Style 42s at ET0 and ET-5. They barely fit
Lol, I've had my share of experiences with barely fitting wheels. What matters is that they fit! And look great!!!

Thanks for helping clarify how offset is measured. That website is definitely very useful!! It's the kind of thing I should just get, but without a real world example that I'm familiar with, I'm lost. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daijoubanai View Post
Yeah the S80 uses pretty high offset. I have S80 wheels on my S70 and I'm using a 10mm spacer front 15mm rear just to push them out a bit.

If you put a 30mm spacer on a 20mm offset wheel it would be -10, and that would even stick out of the fender by a lot.

If you want wheels for the S80 you might as well just get some with the correct bolt pattern and offset. Even if you were to re-drill the wheels you have the 20mm offset would still be too low unless you want to roll the fenders.
Yeah, I'd love to get some bigger wheels for the S80... But I'm also content with the stock ones. The question more popped up for me because I already had this extra set of wheels, and figured they may somehow work. When I go to tirerack, the largest wheels they offer are 19's for the S80... And since rap music ruined me as a child, I really want at least 20's if I am upgrading... I can't really justify paying extra to just go from 18 to 19.

Also, kind or related, kind of not... Last summer I got some 15mm spacers from iPd, and slapped them on the back wheels of the S80. The rear wheels poking out just that little bit more made for a more aggressive look, and more importantly, it really improved (in my opinion) the handling characteristics of the car. It went from having a feeling of understeer to a more balanced feeling with maybe even a bit of oversteer. Cool story, I know, right??