home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-01-2021, 07:46 PM   #26
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk 40 View Post
If I could weld up my own at only the expense of cheap steel I wound not pay 600 dollars for an exhaust header unless it brings a significant marque of improvement over what can be built. It better be beautiful too. You have all the time in the world to come up with something that works why kick half a stack. None of these ideas mentioned will hinder him from 300 hp. but why is that always the target. I get lost with this because If a person can weld one up they can virtually copy any design they see. You can damn near buy the welder at that price. In my mind it would be better to use a tig for this. For 600 bucks make the header titanium please. But why worry about this at the hp levels he wants.
$600 for a custom turbo manifold is dirt cheap in reality. You need to get out more. Having tools and materials does not mean they have the skills/ability to build a nice well designed/engineered part.

Also, a decent tig welder is a lot more than $600.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:03 PM   #27
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk 40 View Post
I disagree fundamentally with alot you've said. My response to this is in OT its time to move on in the performance section.
it's ok to disagree. we can discuss it further elsewhere. I see things the way I see them based on my set of experiences over the years both here and elsewhere. carry on ;)

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:53 AM   #28
hk 40
Banned

If I could weld up my own at only the expense of cheap steel I would not pay 600 dollars for an exhaust header unless it brings a significant marque of improvement over what can be built. It better be beautiful too.

Yours Truly,
Hubert
hk 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #29
740atl
Gear acquisition syndrome

It’s a ****load of work to fabricate a header or manifold that is not only functional, but doesn’t require one to make special tools to get bolts on and off. It’s time consuming. The same could be said for something like head porting… it is afterall just a coupla bits and a grinder… surely anyone can do it right? Is it really worth the $1500 advanced induction charges for their CNC ported heads? $600 isn’t a bad deal for considering most of that money is in labor cost. How much is your time worth?
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:36 AM   #30
hk 40
Banned

Anyone constantly on forums has plenty of time to waste. At least 600 dollars worth. Building things for yourself isnt for time or speed its for self gratification and developing new skill set. Its called growth in your hobby which really isnt a much of a hobby if all you do is buy stuff off a shelf an install it. Its a matter of opinion not a matter of right and wrong and this is mine with all things considered. In my mind you need to be in possession of several pieces of general machine shop tools to build a quality header.

Last edited by hk 40; 07-03-2021 at 10:47 AM..
Old 07-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #31
hk 40
Banned

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...79&postcount=2
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...12&postcount=5
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...0&postcount=11

To me it would be otherwise inexplicable that several other members have already posted photos of headers they have built. If the photos aren't posted to suggest what is possible with DIY then they'd inherently be for the purpose of self aggrandizing. It would make no sense to show him what they have done then tell him in the same breath he cannot do it or it isn't worth his time if he had the necessary tools and wants to try simply because I suggested he could considering all the proof of that others have already posted here. Thats a bit counter productive in that argument. Seems to me if he's doing J pipes when he's bored or bad weather arrives he's already at this.....and time isn't much of a concern. Ill state this since It seems I constantly need to for some people here. He doesn't have to follow what I'd do but since DIY already seems to be the spirit here in photos the suggestion to carry on with that sprit shouldn't be much of a concern when every suggestion is made directly to him, who so far has enuf time and skill to build j pipes and ask about it on a forum.

Last edited by hk 40; 07-03-2021 at 12:01 PM..
Old 07-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #32
90volvo
Board Member

Thanks to everybody for good advice. I just started welding about a year ago with flux core mig. Im getting better at fabbing and welding. Id like to build my own header someday. Worse case Ill tack it up then take to someone and have them finish it up. But I bet I can do it. Thanks

1985 240 Work in progress.

sons car- 93 240-15g turbo-chipped-95,000 miles. Slick car

Leave feedback- http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=355413
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 12:47 PM   #33
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90volvo View Post
Thanks to everybody for good advice. I just started welding about a year ago with flux core mig. Im getting better at fabbing and welding. Id like to build my own header someday. Worse case Ill tack it up then take to someone and have them finish it up. But I bet I can do it. Thanks
Having done it myself/with some help, just buying the header from Sweden Exhaust for around $600 is the move...you'll have $300-400 in materials alone and then a ton of time into building and fitting all of the pieces.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 02:14 PM   #34
hk 40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90volvo View Post
I bet you can too. Practice makes perfect. That's how you learn to do things and get better at them. By trying. Once you've mastered the skillset it will be 10 times as valuable because you can replicate it over and over again for others as well as yourself. My friend MarcusJ seems to be creating really complexed bends and making it fit. From the look of his compound turbo thread he's doing these things fairly fast. Im sure you can pm him on this board and get a few pointers. A burns collector is an expensive piece but maybe there are others that supply cheaper ones for those critical merge point to the flange for the turbo.

Good Luck,
Hubert
Old 07-03-2021, 05:14 PM   #35
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvolvoR View Post
Having done it myself/with some help, just buying the header from Sweden Exhaust for around $600 is the move...you'll have $300-400 in materials alone and then a ton of time into building and fitting all of the pieces.
+1

Even if you do mild steel, a set of flanges will run a bill or two, schedule 40 els is another, some schedule 40 straight, cutoff wheels, flap discs, and then buying/renting/borrowing a capable mig, a bottle of gas, and you’re coming up on that 4-600$ pretty quick. Then the time….

My most recent manifold ran me around 600 in materials. It’s all 304 stainless schedule 10, made up a dxf for the head flange and had a buddy cut it on a CNC plasma, then I finished the porting myself. Took me about 4 months to complete, but I was just poking at it an hour or two here and there. With stainless, and purging all the runners, it was pretty spendy in the argon area, but I’m happy with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01FE7D7E-7336-4DEB-9EE8-D8A13750C5B5.jpg (198.1 KB, 43 views)

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:15 PM   #36
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
+1
Turbo B20... I love it.

-------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
Will you do $14.99 shipped?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
please no more prying things with screwdrivers and bashing things with hammers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
my balls have more wrinkles than my brain
--------------------------------------------

-1967 144S
-1983 245 Diesel
fatcatbestcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:37 PM   #37
cwdodson88
Board Member

Me too. Pushrod tippy tappet noises sound fun when you’re blowing 20psi down it’s throat. That one hasn’t seen the dyno yet, but I’m excited to see what it’ll do. The runners are equal-ish 4>2, then equal lengths from each merge to the twin scroll flange. Intakes are equal and running near fifth harmonic, but it’s all flanged for dcoe and I have spacers for 6-7th as well in case I want to play with it. Intake tract+plenum volume is 4x displacement from compressor inlet to valve, exhaust is 1.5x displacement from valve to turbine. The hopes are to have reduced lag, and a fat stiff torque band that carries through the revs.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote