home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 07-08-2021, 08:11 AM   #1
leecatd8209
Board Member

Default AC Clutch testing

Recently my 8 amp AC fuse started blowing. First it was random, I replaced it and everything worked for a week or so. This morning I had to replace it and it worked for a few minutes, but now it blows as soon as the clutch engages.

I checked the wiring to the clutch for bare spots and everything looks fine there. If I put a 16 amp red fuse in the slot the AC functions, but the fuse gets really hot, I just did this as a test, it's not staying. I'd suspect if there was a dead short that it would blow the 16amp fuse immediately as well.

Let me know if I'm way off here, but I'm thinking this could be the compressor clutch going bad and drawing excessive amperage. I'm going to borrow a Fluke amp clamp meter today and clamp it around the clutch wire to see what my amp draw is. Is that a viable test? Does anyone know what the coil resistance should be? Anything else I should check while I'm in there?

Edit: The clutch is drawing 21 amps. I'd think if the clutch was failing it wouldn't disengage, and that it's my compressor that's seizing up causing the clutch to pull more power to stay engaged?

Last edited by leecatd8209; 07-08-2021 at 09:38 AM..
leecatd8209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:39 AM   #2
leecatd8209
Board Member

Tested the clutch amperage draw with the engine off and still got 21 amps. That seems to definitely point to the clutch.

Sorry to clog up board space, but at least you have an answer if now if you're searching a similar issue in the future.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:33 PM   #3
PCH
Board Member

Usually they draw no more than 5A. Doesn't matter what condition of the compressor is.
PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:03 PM   #4
philski o'flood
Board Member

the clutch coil has failed, you can just replace the coil if you can find one. You can change them out and the compressor can stay right where it's at too
philski o'flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:08 PM   #5
leecatd8209
Board Member

Don't you need special tools to pull the clutch?