home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 04-15-2020, 04:48 PM   #1
colorado240

Default 240 8.8 Swap, Brake how to

The stock 240 axle lasted about 2 weeks behind the 5.3 before it started clunking. I found a 8.8 3.73 LSD from a 2000 Ford Explorer in my local pull-a-part for &90. There's a bunch of information out there on how to do the shortening and the e-brake but the actual brake lines were a little bit of a mystery going in. It's actually very simple and if you grab the right parts while you are pulling the axle then it only costs about $14 for a hard-line.

To start, when you are pulling the axle grab an extra passenger side rubber line for the 8.8 and replace the drivers side with it. The drivers has a distribution block on it so its useless. Cut the hard line going to the rubber hose so you keep the fittings that screw into the rubber hose. The Ford is on the left, and the Volvo hose is on the right.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Then pick up one of the hard lines pictured below, the one I got was from auto zone, it has bubble flares already done so I only needed to do the standard flare for the 8.8. I just cut the one long one and used each side for the two bubble flares.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

You will also need the two female fittings on the stock Volvo axle hard-line. Slide these female fittings up to the bubble flare and use then make a double flare for the ford fittings at the appropriate length. Make some brackets to hold it all in place and you are good to go.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Side note: A lot of people use an adapter u-joint in the rear ends, but they do sell an 8.8 flange that accepts a 1310 u-joint. it will make it a lot easier to find parts for if you have issues down the roadIts about the same price as the u-joint. Spicer 2-2-1379 Flange Yoke the link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm still waiting on new rubber lines, LSD clutches, and axle seals to throw it in the car.

Last edited by colorado240; 04-15-2020 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Pictures will not show up
colorado240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:40 AM   #2
Andrewhans
Turbo LS ****poster

I like this. May end up switching from my current setup of a pair of compression fittings to something better and safer.

Current setup - Aluminum L33/Summit Turbo Stage 2, Billet 80mm turbo, single Walbro 450 and Dual AEM 400's, Bosch 210's
3060lb no driver
3240lb with driver
Andrewhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #3
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

Not sure what Volvo driveshaft you have but the M47 shaft I'm using had a 1300 U-joint in it. They are very close in size but the 1310 is a tiny bit larger. I ended up buying a 1330 flange and had that welded on my M47 shaft.
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
RoadRacer4Life
Owner: DeathWagon

Good info.. Something I will be looking into shortly.

-Sam
90 245GL 2JSWEDE 2JZ 245...
91 245GL Team Battle Wagon Chumpcar
93 245GL Street Beater
RoadRacer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #5
colorado240

Everything went together pretty smoothly, brake lines bolted right up and worked great. I found the easiest way to set the pinion angle was to completely weld the trailing arm brackets, get everything ground and ready to weld for the upper torque arms, attach the brackets cut off the old axle to the torque arms. Then bolt the axle in, springs, driveshaft and all, support it by the axle so it its at ride height. Set the angle then you weld the torque arm brackets while the angle is set. Works great, keeps everything aligned, and I had no issues getting 2 degrees out of a 3" 1 piece driveshaft.
colorado240 is offline   Reply With Quote