home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-27-2021, 01:33 AM   #1
1968 volvo
Board Member

Question Volvo rear end noise

Hi all. I have a 1968 Volvo 142s with a BW35 automatic transmission. It makes a rubbing noise on the rear end passenger side of the car when I turn left. Any suggestions as to what it is. I think it is the brake rotor but I just replaced that so I don't know how that is the problem.
1968 volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:54 AM   #2
mikep
The MP

Look for wear marks on the backing plate. It could be warped. Or (rarely) it can be the bearing.
Was it doing this before replacing the rotor?
Old 05-27-2021, 12:20 PM   #3
1968 volvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post
Look for wear marks on the backing plate. It could be warped. Or (rarely) it can be the bearing.
Was it doing this before replacing the rotor?
The noise only happened after replacing both the rotor and the caliper. Would a warped rotor only show itself while turning left?
Old 05-27-2021, 01:08 PM   #4
planetman
Board Member

No.

Did you do anything to the bearings while you had it apart to change the rotors?

Does your car still have the original rear axle assembly that has the early style of axle bearings?

The early style use the same axle bearings as the Dana rear drum brake axles Volvos used on PV, 122 and 1800 Volvo cars and they aren't lubricated by the oil in the rear end and have to be repacked with high temperature bearing grease every once in a while.
planetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:40 PM   #5
hiperfauto
The Librarian

Check the rotor to see if it's centered in the caliper. Volvo sold shims to go between the caliper and the mounting bracket in .6, 1.2 and 1.8 mm thicknesses. They're NLA but a pair of thin washers would accomplish the same thing.
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:44 PM   #6
johfraser
Board Member

What type of noise is it? A scrapping metallic noise, whirring spinning noise, or a squeaky rubber noise. If it only happens when the body rolls, can you reproduce it by bouncing that side or end of the car? May need someone to lay under the car to help locate it.
johfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:59 PM   #7
1968 volvo
Board Member

While driving the car today. I could hear the same scraping noise while driving strait and turning right. Its just a lot more quiet.

I did nothing to the bearings while the rotor was off. As for modifications to the axle, I don't know. I don't know any of the history of the car before the junkyard.

The noise sounds like the rotor rubbing on something. It happens regularly but not constantly. It is more constant when you are going faster. The noise can only be made on the road. It doesn't happen when rocking the car. Although there are other interesting noises when the car rocks.

How can I find out about the axle having old bearings. Is there a marking to look for?

Last edited by 1968 volvo; 05-27-2021 at 11:08 PM..
Old 05-27-2021, 11:22 PM   #8
hiperfauto
The Librarian

If the caliper bracket is bolted to the axle tube it's an early rear end. If it's welded it's a later axle.

Did you check the where the rotor sits in the caliper? Shims were installed from the factory in order to center the rotor in the caliper as they can rub. Once the rotor has been turned, it may not rub and the shim could have been omitted or lost. When a new rotor is installed it will rub again.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:15 PM   #9
1968 volvo
Board Member

The caliper bracket is bolted to the axle tube so I can be sure that the axle is a newer series one.

So the way to fix is to get rotor shims?
Old 05-28-2021, 01:30 PM   #10
hiperfauto
The Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 volvo View Post
The caliper bracket is bolted to the axle tube so I can be sure that the axle is a newer series one.
No, it's the other way 'round. If the caliper bracket is bolted to the axle tube you have the early setup with a bearing adjuster on the right side.

Quote:
So the way to fix is to get rotor shims?
If the rotor is rubbing on the inboard side of the caliper then yes, you need a shim.
Old 05-28-2021, 04:30 PM   #11
1968 volvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
No, it's the other way 'round. If the caliper bracket is bolted to the axle tube you have the early setup with a bearing adjuster on the right side.

If the rotor is rubbing on the inboard side of the caliper then yes, you need a shim.
My bad... I just read your reply too fast. So it is possible that the bearing is thirsty for grease.

I will check to see how and where the rotor is rubbing when I get the time to take off the wheel.