home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 07-12-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Default Car needs paint; car needs sunroof seal

So my 242's sunroof seal finally bit the dust and it's time to have a shop (correct, I'm not tackling this one). Considering that most shops want around $500 to do the job, this is something that I would rather only have done once.

The paint on the top half of the car is also sad and the whole thing could do with some bodywork and a new coat of paint. This is something I'd like to put off for another 2 years or so if possible as the finish still has some life left in it, and I can't stomach a $5000 paint shop bill this minute.

Question here is: is it possible to have a good paint job done with the sunroof seal installed, or would it need to be removed as part of the prepping process?

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
white855T
Board Member

I'm going through this process now... You absolutely have to remove sunroof panel. Its not difficult and its something you can do yourself. If you're thinking about a paint job. Remove front & rear glass(also quarter glass too) It will take you half a day to strip the car(removing bumpers, trim, etc.) if you want to get a good job done. You can get a paint job for 2500-3000 especially if there isn't much body work to do.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:31 PM   #3
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

https://www.maaco.com/locations/or/portland-12334/

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:00 PM   #4
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
I'm going through this process now... You absolutely have to remove sunroof panel. Its not difficult and its something you can do yourself. If you're thinking about a paint job. Remove front & rear glass(also quarter glass too) It will take you half a day to strip the car(removing bumpers, trim, etc.) if you want to get a good job done. You can get a paint job for 2500-3000 especially if there isn't much body work to do.
I'm not asking about windows or removing the panel. My question pertains about the seal, specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
No, Ken.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:14 PM   #5
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
I'm not asking about windows or removing the panel. My question pertains about the seal, specifically.

No, Ken.
There are guys who are really good at taping up cars but I just don't get why you wouldn't want to remove to seal. If you want it to look look like ass, I guess...

Maaco uses the cheapest paint. It will be peeling in a few months.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #6
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
There are guys who are really good at taping up cars but I just don't get why you wouldn't want to remove to seal. If you want it to look look like ass, I guess...

Maaco uses the cheapest paint. It will be peeling in a few months.
the thought of doing a $500 job twice in a short time span makes me wince.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #7
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

I'm planning to do it myself. I have a Husky compressor and a couple of paint guns. I plan to mask off my garage and use affordable paint. Much cheaper than 5k.

Maaco uses cheap paint, but if they did a good job with the prep, it would probably stay okay.
OldCarNewTricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #8
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarNewTricks View Post
I'm planning to do it myself. I have a Husky compressor and a couple of paint guns. I plan to mask off my garage and use affordable paint. Much cheaper than 5k.

Maaco uses cheap paint, but if they did a good job with the prep, it would probably stay okay.
Yeah sure, if you parked in a garage everyday, never parked in the sun. Then, yeah sure. I've seen macco jobs on 240s. They hold up for a couple of years and look like ass again. Bend over and take it like man. Awesome that you have a a big enough compressor to do it yourself. If I were able to run a big compressor, I would definitely be doing paint jobs on my cars. I can do small jobs like an engine bay but an entire job is not something that I can do in my shop space(only have 120v, not able to run 240v for a compressor). The cost of paint/materials is high but if you're able to paint it in your garage, why not. Mask off garage well but because overspray gets everywhere.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:50 PM   #9
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

Quote:
Yeah sure, if you parked in a garage everyday, never parked in the sun. Then, yeah sure. I've seen macco jobs on 240s. They hold up for a couple of years and look like ass again. Bend over and take it like man. Awesome that you have a a big enough compressor to do it yourself. If I were able to run a big compressor, I would definitely be doing paint jobs on my cars. I can do small jobs like an engine bay but an entire job is not something that I can do in my shop space(only have 120v, not able to run 240v for a compressor). The cost of paint/materials is high but if you're able to paint it in your garage, why not. Mask off garage well but because overspray gets everywhere.
My compressor is 120v.
OldCarNewTricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:38 PM   #10
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post

No, Ken.
Matching single stage, TB¢#3@p™ & in your home town, perfect for your molested hoop-t.

What's not to like?
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:56 PM   #11
johfraser
Board Member

Consider having it done by the Auto Technology Department of a Community College. Many include Auto Body and Paint curriculum. Visit the instructor and have a chat. I've had a couple of good experiences in the past and you only pay for materials plus perhaps a facility fee. Remove as much trim as you like or not.
johfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:24 PM   #12
2manyturbos

Short answer, no. Remove the seals before painting the car. There is no way to tape off a fuzzy seal and have the paint layer terminate right up next to it. Besides that, the buffer will ruin the seal when the paint is being polished.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:35 PM   #13
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Matching single stage, TB¢#3@p™ & in your home town, perfect for your molested hoop-t.

What's not to like?
It you layer on that cheap single stage you can probably just keep polishing it to keep it looking OK until you burn through it.

I prefer single stage on older cars because I can just color sand it until it looks OK again.
2012 VW Tiguan (screw plastic water pumps), daily
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:49 PM   #14
dobber13
Board Member

When I had mine painted in 2005 I removed everything I could and the guy how painted it wouldn't paint it unless I removed the seals. Not that hard to do. Just take your time and you will be glad you did.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:00 AM   #15
cwdodson88
Board Member

I’d remove it if I were to paint your car. Mt hood CC has a body tech school, might be worth a shot to have it done there. Just have them go for max mil thickness so it can be wet sanded and polished. If it were me, and I needed to fix a leaky seal to get through a few pdx winters before pulling the trigger on paint. I’d just do the seal now, and do all the seals again after paint. 3-5k for that roof sounds dead on with collision shops out here. Having a whole car jammed and sprayed out here is 15-20k.

Now if your not doing a color change, I wouldn’t worry about jamming it unless there’s issues. Block it out (20-30 hrs), epoxy sealer (8 hours), base (8-10) then drop it through the detailer for an 8 hour buff session. Something like 60 hours at 160/hr is what I’d expect plus 2-3k in paint.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:46 PM   #16
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

Yes, you should remove the seal for the paint job. If you don't the seal is hard to tape over and it will cause edges on the paint that could easily chip and then it'll look bad. What I would do is instead of having the new seal installed. In the meantime cover the sunroof seal with some painters tape. Something that would be easily removable for the paint job. That should stop most of the water getting in. Then in a couple of years remove the tape and the seals and after paint you can put the new seals in.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:03 AM   #17
Alan29
Board Member

Caulk it closed but make sure to use a paintable caulk as you wouldn't want it to look like **** after.

Seriously you need to remove it. It's very tight at the body line and there is no way to backtape it to extend the base and clear behind it like you could possibly do with a big fat windshield seal.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #18
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Yep got it, suck it up and just get it done properly.