home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > article composition

Old 02-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #101
WolfDK
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylesofsmyles View Post
so could i get my 12v power for the APC from the (+) side of the coil or should I run a lead to the fuse panel?

any input on the ideal place to draw power for the APC unit?

FYI, got all three components in position, just waiting on my Knock Sensor splitter harness from Boris740, so I can just plug this baby in!

So, since I've got my EZK ignition box in the passenger footwell, I used the Chrysler Ignition box location...on the coil mount bracket...to mount the SAAB APC. Mounted it upside down, so the connector would have room to connect at the bottom, and route without kinking the wires.

Was going to position the 3-way valve on the shock tower, like Volvo Turbo+, but couldn't really get a good place to do it where it wasn't at a funky angle. or clearance, better wire routing and servicability, I installed the 3-way valve using the SAAB bracket, flipped upside down, and then reinstalled the nuts and screws that hold the valve to the plate upside down, so one can still access them with a Torx driver from above.

I installed the Pressure Transducer by the brake m/c...hopefully it will clear a hydraulic clutch master cylinder, cuz that's coming eventually!

All I've really got to do is wire it up now.
Nice install

I put my PWM valve in the same spot, think its the most common place.

I would not supply the APC from the coils positive (+) side since power is very noisy there, in my install i took the APC supply from the ECU fuse. You could also use the interior light fuse, but i would avoid using a fuse that supply noisy stuff like windshield wipers.

Almost there, soon its time for the fun stuff
Old 02-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #102
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

Maybe just a little OT, but best to as here, IMHO...

Don't the SAAB APC systems incorporate a "Hobbs Switch?"

I'm uncertain, exactly, of its function, but have heard of some using Hobbs switches for Water/Meth control...any light to shed on this matter? Can we make our APC's run Water/Meth too?
Mylesofsmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #103
WolfDK
Board Member

Quote:
Maybe just a little OT, but best to as here, IMHO...

Don't the SAAB APC systems incorporate a "Hobbs Switch?"

I'm uncertain, exactly, of its function, but have heard of some using Hobbs switches for Water/Meth control...any light to shed on this matter? Can we make our APC's run Water/Meth too?
The SAAB "Hobbs Switch" is a nice pressure switch similar to the stock Volvo overboost switch. The nice part is that it have both NO and NC contacts, adjustable pressure (3-25+ psi iirc) and adjustable differential pressure

Most common use is to wire the switch to fire the stock coldstart injector above some boost level.

I run one instead of the stock overboost switch.
WolfDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #104
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfDK View Post
The SAAB "Hobbs Switch" is a nice pressure switch similar to the stock Volvo overboost switch. The nice part is that it have both NO and NC contacts, adjustable pressure (3-25+ psi iirc) and adjustable differential pressure

Most common use is to wire the switch to fire the stock coldstart injector above some boost level.

I run one instead of the stock overboost switch.
yep, i've got no overboost switch in my setup...that's why i'm putting in APC...

so there's a hope for using the hobbs switch for water/meth?
Old 02-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #105
WolfDK
Board Member

Quote:
yep, i've got no overboost switch in my setup...that's why i'm putting in APC...

so there's a hope for using the hobbs switch for water/meth?
Yes its just an adjustable pressure switch, you can use it to trigger whatever you want. Just dial in the trigger pressure using a pressure gauge and big syringe connected to the switch.
WolfDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #106
NotSoFresh
Sick ****** T-Brick Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfDK View Post
Yes its just an adjustable pressure switch, you can use it to trigger whatever you want. Just dial in the trigger pressure using a pressure gauge and big syringe connected to the switch.
Use it to trigger the NAWZ at 20psi
NotSoFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #107
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoFresh View Post
Use it to trigger the NAWZ at 20psi
mad toit rice yo...like dat JDM tuner shizzzzzz in Fast and the Furious!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #108
pinguin
Queen Bitch of MWC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240 View Post
Pin 16:knock sensor in 1
Pin 17:knock sensor in 2

On the one I just picked up, the knock sensor is clearly on 17 and 18...
What gives
Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #109
Eakin
Board Member

Has anyone had any luck using the APC system from a 9-5? All that I have read about is using the system from a 900 or 9000. Unfortunately, most of those are long gone from my area, but there is a 9-5 being wrecked nearby that I might go visit and pilfer if it'll work. I haven't been able to find anything with my searching, other than that 9-5's were still using an APC system. Couldn't find any documentation about anyone using it on a Volvo though. My k-jet car could use a bit of a safety net.
Eakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #110
hugh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguin View Post

On the one I just picked up, the knock sensor is clearly on 17 and 18...
What gives
Could only mean a different box or setup. You need to try to refrence that model.
The unit I have here is a APC 7524127 the knock inputs are 16,17 and a grouded shield 4.

Last edited by hugh; 02-10-2013 at 07:54 PM..
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #111
hugh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
Has anyone had any luck using the APC system from a 9-5? All that I have read about is using the system from a 900 or 9000. Unfortunately, most of those are long gone from my area, but there is a 9-5 being wrecked nearby that I might go visit and pilfer if it'll work. I haven't been able to find anything with my searching, other than that 9-5's were still using an APC system. Couldn't find any documentation about anyone using it on a Volvo though. My k-jet car could use a bit of a safety net.
I can still get you the appropriate older APC system for the mod.Im sure the newer system will work as long as you have all the complimentary parts and a understanding of the pinouts. May be proprietary info.

Hugh

Last edited by hugh; 02-10-2013 at 07:56 PM..
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #112
Eakin
Board Member

Thanks Hugh, I might hit you up on that if this one doesn't pan out. What's a reasonable price to expect to pay for all of the parts? I see the Saab guys asking $300 or so for just the APC boxes at times.

I had another guy offer me all of the parts for $100, but I had to take them off myself, and he wanted me to remove his struts, turbo and manifolds off while I was in there....he's an hour away, the car is outside and it snowed 35cm last weekend....I think I'll pass on that one, hehe.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #113
ryanfay
more bounce to the ounce

Maserati biturbo has apc set at 11psi fwiw.
ryanfay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #114
hk 40
Board Member

300 dollars is a joke. No way. You can go to a lkq or somewhere like that a get one of those boxes for next to nothing. What JY's have figured out is alot of tuners look for apc's so they up the price!!!!! I remember a time when they didnt even really know what they were and would practically give them away. If you do get one and you can get the entire leads to the knock sensor get it all coz its shielded from noise. Trying to run new wire without a shield will coz false knock detection. If you cant do that the wire you run make them a twisted pair with another 3rd wire that grounds at the appropriate apc terminal then twist around the twisted pair all the way to the plug do not connect that end as it a floating ground that you will terminate to nothing inside the connector boot.

Hugh
hk 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #115
ryanfay
more bounce to the ounce

Say its a fuse box.
ryanfay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #116
hk 40
Board Member

LOL
Old 02-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #117
Hoggster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
The stuff from a 9-5 (or a 9-3, NG900, Direct Ignition 9000) won't work. The 900s and 9000s use LH for their F/I and the APC system is separate, that's why you can pull it off and stick it on a Volvo. On the Direct Ignition cars they ran a Trionic control system that managed spark, fuel, and boost all together. The APC boost control is so integral you would have to bring the entire F/I and ignition system from the donor car to get it to work. They don't use a knock sensor, but instead run an ion pulse through the spark plug after it has fired to detect combustion quality.
Hoggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #118
hk 40
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggster View Post
The stuff from a 9-5 (or a 9-3, NG900, Direct Ignition 9000) won't work. The 900s and 9000s use LH for their F/I and the APC system is separate, that's why you can pull it off and stick it on a Volvo. On the Direct Ignition cars they ran a Trionic control system that managed spark, fuel, and boost all together. The APC boost control is so integral you would have to bring the entire F/I and ignition system from the donor car to get it to work. They don't use a knock sensor, but instead run an ion pulse through the spark plug after it has fired to detect combustion quality.

WOW!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:56 AM   #119
Hoggster
Board Member

Yeah. It's pretty advanced turbo management technology. The rumor is that's what was traded to Subaru for the Impreza/WRX that the 9-2x was based on.

Also, I used to have APC from a 900 hooked up on my 740 turbo. I did a bunch of tuning with it, even swapped components on the board. In the end, it never did what I wanted it to do and I swapped it for a MBC. The advantage of the APC is the knock sensor saftey net, but as long as your system is dialed in right then manual boost control is fine. What I didn't like about the APC is that it won't sustain peak boost for longer than 10-15 seconds before it cuts back to the base wastegate setting. For a while I hooked a reset switch for the APC box on the dash so I could get it back to peak boost quickly. APC is neat, but its setup for consumers who put cheap gas in turbo cars, not tuners.

Last edited by Hoggster; 02-18-2013 at 03:03 AM..
Hoggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #120
Eakin
Board Member

Great info guys! I'll stay away from the 9-5 for now then and just see if something else pops up on Kijiji to be parted out. The guy with the 9000 was a Saab tuner, so he knew what he had and wanted way too much. If one is available for cheap, I'll grab it. I can't see spending that kind of money when and EBC can do most of that work for almost the same price.

I'll likely just get a Turbosmart EBC with 2 boost settings and call it a day. I'll just have to add a resonator or another muffler to my exhaust so that I can hear the knock. The 3" Flo-Pro is a bit loud for a DD anyhow. I think my neighbors are going to slash my tires one of these days.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #121
haltechsupra
Board Member

I'm not gonna call names or hate, I'm just gonna suggest two points, read it or not. You guys put a bunch of research and development in making consistent power UP TO THE POINT OF DETONATION. I suggest an alcohol kit to go past that point and squash detonation like the evil little ping bastard it is.
We can learn from one of the fastest 2js in the world, Titan.
haltechsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #122
hk 40
Board Member

Haltech supposed they used the knock light indicator on the APC to trigger the water instead of a hobbs switch???
Old 03-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #123
haltechsupra
Board Member

Now that's an awesome thought. Or apc on top of alcohol for the win!!
haltechsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #124
hk 40
Board Member

Im curious with such large boost amounts how many rpm a well balanced redblock can turn before mechanical failure???
Old 03-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #125
firedome

Default Troll warning: APC proves SAAB superiority...

So now you know - not only SAAB fighter jets - Viggen, Draken, Gripen, etc, the SAAB 340 airliner that's still used all over the world, FWD since 1947 (it took Volvo until 1994) and the first successful and still the premiere Turbo car technology in all the world, despite GMS attempt to starve it, the 1st to develop (in house) and use advanced APC and Trionic, the best engine management system ever, the safest cars in class according to European safety agencies, the leader in aerodynamic design since the 1940s (ummm...Volvo are bricks?)... so just wait until you see the new SAAB/NEVS Electric in 2014, whose COO is the Swedish former head of Volvo Trucks ...just Google it. This is an interesting thread that just proves how ahead SAAB technology was, and it will be yet again, wait and see. Meantime, nice to adapt advanced SAAB technology for the bricks - I love em too!

From a Volvo owner since 1970, but still proud SAAB owner since 1971... yes, we've sold all our Volvos, but we still own 7 SAABS! Made by trolls in Trollhatten... SKOL!
SAAB 1973 99, 1987 900, 1988 9000, 1991 9000
Current:
1966 SAAB 96
1977 SAAB 99
1984 SAAB 900 Turbo
1987 SAAB 900
1999 SAAB 9-3 S Turbo
1999 SAAB 9-3 SE Turbo
2000 SAAB 9-5 Aero

Last edited by firedome; 03-06-2013 at 09:45 PM..
firedome is offline   Reply With Quote