home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 02-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
dkrause
Board Member

Default B234 - 16 valve revs?

What is the factory redline for a 234 - 16 valve engine?
For those with built 16v engines what RPM limits are you using (based on usable power) both Turbo and NA? I am planning a project and looking at transmission and rear end ratio's now. Thanks
dkrause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
GTJordan
Been here for too long

For the SloVO?!
Old 02-09-2020, 12:24 AM   #3
dkrause
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJordan View Post
For the SloVO?!
I was thinking you would lend me your motor for Slovo
dkrause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:45 AM   #4
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

it's relative to a number of things. stock intake manifold? I probably wouldn't turn it up much past 7k cause it's already choking at that point.

Currently I turn the gold car out to about 8100 or so. may experiment with raising that number, because the power keeps going up.. but... it's not exactly stock either.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:32 PM   #5
poulrais
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
it's relative to a number of things. stock intake manifold? I probably wouldn't turn it up much past 7k cause it's already choking at that point.

Currently I turn the gold car out to about 8100 or so. may experiment with raising that number, because the power keeps going up.. but... it's not exactly stock either.
Understatement of the year?

1990, Volvo 740 16v +T
1991, Volvo 745T 16V - crushed
build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=249553
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #6
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post

I think you'd probably want some stiffer springs if you want to go much above the stock redline.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #7
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

With some mild NA cams and slightly stiffer valve springs they willingly rev past 8k without any issues. I never used a completely stock intake, so I can’t comment on the choke point on that.
I know Harlard is looking to go to about 8500 rpm with his 16v turbo, as it just keeps making power as Kenny mentioned.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:43 PM   #8
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Do you have a dogdish flywheel? Lol.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:39 PM   #9
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Another issue with revs much above about 7.5k or so is gonna be the accessories. The water pump, power steering don't like being revved too high all the time.

Last edited by dl242gt; 02-13-2020 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: change wording
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:45 PM   #10
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Another issue with revs much above about 7.5k or so is gonna be the accessories. The water pump, power steering don't like being revved too high all the time.
100% correct. If the engine is going to see sustained revs over ~5k, then an underdrive crank pulley is needed. Your PS pump will thank you.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #11
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
it's just got manifolds, intercooler, turbo, cams, springs, retainers, 'street port' job on the head, and H-beam stock replacement rods... it's still got OEM NA pistons and all that. Your big limiter to turning rpms is the relatively awful intake manifold and restrictive port inlet on the head.. you can open up (on the car head) just the first couple of inches before the divider and probably pick up a fairly significant amount of flow potential without really greatly changing how it behaves. I've turned stock cams past 7k with just springs and a better intake coupled with that level of "porting" (really more like gasket matching to a larger runner intake manifold) and they don't fall off nearly as bad.. this was on a turbo car though, so YMMV I reckon

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
100% correct. If the engine is going to see sustained revs over ~5k, then an underdrive crank pulley is needed. Your PS pump will thank you.
oh yeah, don't have PS on the gold car. This, and the alleged water pump cavitation situation should be considered if one is going to be roadracing at high rpms
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #12
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrause View Post
What is the factory redline for a 234 - 16 valve engine?
For those with built 16v engines what RPM limits are you using (based on usable power) both Turbo and NA? I am planning a project and looking at transmission and rear end ratio's now. Thanks
The factory redline is 6500rpm from what I remember. We ran one in the General Leif a couple years and I expect we ran it up to 6800. It was all stock with a shortened intake manifold and removed balance shafts. People have said that the stock valve springs aren't good for anything other than stock revs and camshafts.

The stock bottom end, once balanced, is fine to higher rpm. Erland says he recommends a 7,000rpm max for the stock balancer. We are keeping our cap at 7,000rpm with the 8V now as we don't want to run into issues with the lightened factory harmonic balancer, valvetrain, transmission and/or water pump. Hah
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote