home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 01-25-2021, 03:53 PM   #1
DoubleV

Question 1800 Fuel Regulator Diaphragm

Hey All!

Hope everyone has been well, especially during these extra strange times.

So, I'm posting today because my father is currently having an issue with his '72 1800 fuel regulator diaphragm.

The diaphragm is leaking gas from the top, and makes a clicking noise (the clicking might be normal, the leak is the real issue), and therefore seems like it should be replaced entirely. However, due to our lack of knowledge on the subject, and lack of information online, we don't know what all is available currently to replace it.

Here is a picture of the diaphragm in question:

I've found online an aftermarket one, which is stated to work with a '70 and '71, but it does not specify a '72.

https://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/fu...olvo/1800.html

Other websites, such as iPd, offer fuel regulator diaphragms for other, later, 4 cylinder Volvo models, but not ones specifically for a '72 1800.

My dad thought that there were possibly differences with the fuel injection system in the 1972, compared to the older models, so we are concerned that the above linked one would not work. And we have no idea if other ones for later different models would work either.

Therefore, my question is, does anyone know where to source an OEM Fuel Regulator Diaphragm specifically for a 1972 1800?

And if not, are there other options that should work with a 1972 1800? Such as, more modern ones from later Volvos that will fit?

And if one from a later model Volvo would work, would it require any modifications to function properly? If so, what would that all entail?

Thanks in advance! And again, hope everyone has been well!
Old 01-25-2021, 03:58 PM   #2
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I think it moved somewhere along the lineage of D-Jet. From one that sits in the middle of the fuel rail like that to one that site on the firewall (or vice versa?). I think the hose fittings vary between the two styles.

PS: It's a matter of it having 2 or 3 hose fittings on it. The firewall mounted versions just have two - the fuel rail loops around past all the injectors to it, it bleeds off the excess pressure back to the tank. The fuel-rail mounted version has three hose fittings, since it sits in the middle of the fuel rail. Fuel goes in on both sides, excess pressure is vented out the bottom into the return line.

Annoyingly enough, the partsgeek pic doesn't clearly show which version it is. I'm pretty sure it's the firewall mounted version, though, based on the threading on the lower hose fitting (where it would be bolted to a bracket instead of being supported by the hose fittings on both sides).
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141

Last edited by JohnMc; 01-25-2021 at 04:05 PM..
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Yeah, after looking a bit that partsgeek one is the wrong kind.

You need one like this: https://classic-volvo.com/injection-...o-3-pipes.html

Not this:https://classic-volvo.com/injection-...e-p1800es.html

Unfortunately, I get the impression they're not easy to find. And might be pricey if you do: https://fuelinjectionproducts.com/pr...80-300-350-450
Old 01-25-2021, 04:22 PM   #4
DoubleV

Thanks John for looking into this a bit for me, and helping to clarify what's needed. It's very much appreciated!

Do you think that one for the Benz that you linked, or one like it, would be able to be retrofitted to work? Or is that more of an example just to show how expensive this part may be if/when I find one for an 1800?
DoubleV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:38 PM   #5
DoubleV

I just came across this.

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delive...-273/80034_0_0

The website states it will fit, but I'm also skeptical if that is the case or not. It also says it's the same part that was used on the 90's 6 cylinder Volvos, ie 960, S90, V90. Can anyone confirm if this may actually be the case?
Old 01-25-2021, 04:45 PM   #6
JohnMc
PV Abuser

No that won't fit. At least not directly.

The fuel pressure regulator needs to have two hose barb inlets on either side, and a hose bard outlet on the bottom. The Autozone part you just linked doesn't have that. You might be able to make it work on the 2-hose version of the 1800E D-Jet. If you added a hose barb to that threaded inlet fitting?

The other hose fitting on the Autozone part is a manifold pressure reference. D-Jet doesn't use that. it's baro/atmo-referenced.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:47 PM   #7
JohnMc
PV Abuser

The Volvo part number is 243129

It seems NLA on many sites (incl the Scandcar link I posted up above), but this place is still showing a price: https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...05/243129.html
Old 01-25-2021, 04:51 PM   #8
DoubleV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
The Volvo part number is 243129

It seems NLA on many sites (incl the Scandcar link I posted up above), but this place is still showing a price: https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...05/243129.html
Awesome. Having the part number definitely makes things a lot easier. Thanks for the link too!
Old 01-25-2021, 04:51 PM   #9
JohnMc
PV Abuser

And FWIW if you're not terribly concerned with originality (the way 1800 prices have been going, people may start paying attention to that at some point) you could just install a 'T' fitting where the regulator currently sits, and run a single line over to a 2-fitting regulator. Those are still available (Volvo part number 241721) - or just use any generic FPR - and don't hook up the manifold pressure reference line.

Or you might be able to get a smaller Aeromotive style and put hose barb fittings on both sides and fit it in that spot. Don't hook up the manifold pressure line, set it to 2-bar (around 30 psi).
Old 01-25-2021, 10:22 PM   #10
sksmith
Board Member

Also, check with the guys a Hiperformance Auto in Torrence, CA.
Pelican lists a Bosch unit for Mercedes Benz 280/300/450 that may work. It has a threaded fitting for the return, but not sure what pressure it is rated for.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...BoCuXoQAvD_BwE
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:28 AM   #11
c1800
Board Member

Hi, Hiperfauto may be able to help you with a used one. Iroll motors has them new, but the price is higher than Volvo.
I have an 1800E and would like to have a spare so I’m searching to see if the Mercedes one is compatible, i.e. operates in the same pressure range as the Volvo.

I’ll let you know what I find out.

When you install a new FPR you’ll have to calibrate it to 30PSI. It’s not too hard to do but you’ll need a gauge to do that. Also a good idea to check your fuel hoses and clamps if they’ve been in there for a while.

Also noticed in your picture the plug at injector #4 is about to fall out and #3 is twisted. Can’t see 1 and 2. The fuel injection ground connection at the very bottom centre of your picture looks to be loose, hard to tell. Probably could use with clean and tighten.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #12
142 guy
Board Member

JohnMc's advice is correct. Up to 1971 the B20E used a firewall mounted 2 port regulator and in 1972 Volvo / Bosch switched to the three port regulator. With a 5/16" Tee fitting you can use the earlier two port design mounted on the firewall; however, you may find that you have location issues and will end up with some funky looking plumbing to get it hooked up. I would personally be inclined to fork over the extra $ to get a proper 3 port regulator if you can still source one. CVI lists them as available; but, out of stock.

https://www.cvi-automotive.se/en/art...00140?q=243129

VP Auto and Skandix both list them as discontinued. Email CVI to see if it will ever be available. If CVI, VP and Skandix can't supply it that is a really bad sign and it might be appropriate to consider the switch to a two port.

There are aftermarket regulators (Aeromotive seels one) which have tapped ports to allow you to set it up exactly like the Volvo 3 port regulator (you need NPT - barbed adapters) with hte return line out the bottom. I have tried these; but, with the Aeromotive I found that it did not work well with the 28-30 psi fuel pressure in the D jet system. It chattered a lot and was not able to maintain a steady pressure at low flow rates - just something to be aware of with the aftermarket regulators.

If you can't find an original 3 port regulator I would go with the earlier 2 port regulator. Be aware that there are a few Delphi regulator part numbers that cross reference to the early Volvo regulator, Delphi 12348TY and Delphi 98339wc and FP 10545 (which is what shows up in the current Delphi catalogue). Delphi FP 10545 is listed by Rock Auto for a very nice price

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...910628&jsn=265

Looking at the pictures of FP 10545, it looks like with a Tee barb fitting attached to the side (inlet port) you might be able to fit it approximately where the current 3 port fits. Rock Auto lists the regulator pressure at 29 psi which is in the correct range (28 psi for 1971 and 30 psi for 1972) and is presumably adjustable. The price is right if you are inclined to experiment.
142 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:36 PM   #13
c1800
Board Member

That Bosch one from pelican parts, while it would work, is out of stock, as a lot of other places. I checked on a German djet forum and they advise the same, no reasonably priced OEM options available. As well described by 142G and John a retrofit looks like the only cost effective resolution.

Let us know what you decide, and good luck.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:31 PM   #14
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

I have a couple known good spares, but they're not $14.99TB¢heap...

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:08 PM   #15
hiperfauto
The Librarian

We've gone through our used regulators and most are bad at this stage.

We used the Mercedes version with good success although a 90° fitting was needed to keep the return hose away from the exhaust manifold. Sadly, it's now NLA.

The 280Z regulator is a close match but it's vacuum referenced and non adjustable. With the vacuum connected it runs ~28 psi, disconnected it's 36. Because of the ethanol in today's fuel a little more pressure isn't a bad thing but I haven't tested one to see how well it works and whether or not a vacuum signal is necessary.

We do have a couple of NOS regulators as well. My brother has PM'd the OP.
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:18 PM   #16
142 guy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
We've gone through our used regulators and most are bad at this stage.

We used the Mercedes version with good success although a 90° fitting was needed to keep the return hose away from the exhaust manifold. Sadly, it's now NLA.

The 280Z regulator is a close match but it's vacuum referenced and non adjustable. With the vacuum connected it runs ~28 psi, disconnected it's 36. Because of the ethanol in today's fuel a little more pressure isn't a bad thing but I haven't tested one to see how well it works and whether or not a vacuum signal is necessary.

We do have a couple of NOS regulators as well. My brother has PM'd the OP.
I am running the 280 Z regulator. It will run without the vacuum reference line attached; but, it will have a constant 36 psi fuel pressure compared to the 30 psi for the 1972 B20F. The flow rates through the injectors will be 9.5% higher across the board if the vacuum reference is not attached.

My B20E with a D cam idles with a manifold vacuum of about -6 psi. If you connect the vacuum reference line to the 280 Z regulator it will give you a fuel pressure of about 30 psi so right on the money - at idle. 10% higher fuel flow rate at wide open throttle. It works for me because I converted to Megasquirt and can program in the changed injector flow rates with the higher base pressure.

The other down side to the 280 Z regulator is that it comes with a bracket that is tack welded to the body which doesn't really work for installation on the Volvo so you have to fiddle with fabrication of a custom mounting of some kind. The NOS regulator solution would be best. Personally, if the Delphi regulator is not a piece of junk I would be inclined to experiment with it first before trying the 280 Z regulator.
142 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:13 PM   #17
DoubleV

I really appreciate the advice and knowledge everyone has provided here! My dad is currently debating what route he wants to take. The weather here has been nuts as of yesterday evening too, at least by California standards, lol, so likely figuring out the ultimate fix will temporarily get put on hold. I'll make sure to post an update once there is one. Thanks!