home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications > aftermarket engine management

Old 08-08-2021, 03:53 PM   #1
Dvroofer
Board Member

Default Microsquirt start up set up

I have read the manuals over and over and hopefully I have done things correctly to get my wagon running on ms. My set up is a 1991 b230f , with yellow injectors and a block mounted distributor. Any help or corrections are appreciated. I’m new to aftermarket ecus and have gotten this far purely with reading and help from y’all. Thanks again don’t rip me too hard for being a newbie please. I wanted to find out the tuner studio settings for running a distributor. Not really clear in the manual
Thanks

Last edited by Dvroofer; 08-08-2021 at 11:06 PM..
Dvroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:20 PM   #2
Dvroofer
Board Member

Ok so it started fired up an died instantly. Lol. Will do more research not getting a map reading , gotta check I wired it correctly.

Last edited by Dvroofer; 08-08-2021 at 11:07 PM..
Old 08-09-2021, 08:27 AM   #3
cwdodson88
Board Member

Need more information. Details on the engine. Attach or link an msq and datalog.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

raise the required fuel and see if it stays running, if it gets worse, lower it from the initial number

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:55 PM   #5
bobxyz
Board Member

Did you remember to swap the TPS for a LH3.1 version, or a 850 version with an adapter block? (Your originally posted pictures showed ~0 kpa and low TPS, which might be from the wrong or miswired TPS.)
bobxyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:49 PM   #6
Dvroofer
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
Did you remember to swap the TPS for a LH3.1 version, or a 850 version with an adapter block? (Your originally posted pictures showed ~0 kpa and low TPS, which might be from the wrong or miswired TPS.)
I’m not running a tps on this for now. Just map, which I just worked out. Not sure it’s all right yet , but….. it starts every time. Still no vacuum reading though. I WILL get this Swedish Meatball rolling with Ms…very optimistic, I feel like I get closer every time I plug it in.

Last edited by Dvroofer; 08-09-2021 at 08:13 PM..
Old 08-09-2021, 07:51 PM   #7
Dvroofer
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
raise the required fuel and see if it stays running, if it gets worse, lower it from the initial number
Thanks, that got me idling. Working out the kinks
Getting it at least close is feeling pretty good. Thanks for the help

Last edited by Dvroofer; 08-09-2021 at 08:15 PM..
Old 08-09-2021, 08:07 PM   #8
740atl
Gear acquisition syndrome

Do you have a wideband o2 sensor?
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:12 PM   #9
bobxyz
Board Member

With key on, not running, you can check the MAP sensor voltages with a meter at the MAP connector: across VREF and GND should be 5.0volts, across MAP and GND should be just under 5volts if you're using a GM 1Bar sensor or ~1.6volts if you're using a GM 3Bar sensor.

The MAP sensor and MAP gauge are absolute pressure ~0kPa in outer space, ~100kPa at sea level, ~80kPa here in Colorado. In the Basic Settings/General settings menu, you can either configure it for your Default Barometric pressure (100kPa at sea level), or you can configure it to use the MAP sensor reading before starting the engine for the Barometric pressure. The Vac/Boost gauge shows the difference between the initial Barometric pressure and the current MAP sensor pressure.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:16 PM   #10
Dvroofer
Board Member

My second hurdle will be getting my exact timing. I don’t have a lower cover or any cover for that matter . Need to figure a way to fabricate a timing tab.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:17 PM   #11
Dvroofer
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
With key on, not running, you can check the MAP sensor voltages with a meter at the MAP connector: across VREF and GND should be 5.0volts, across MAP and GND should be just under 5volts if you're using a GM 1Bar sensor or ~1.6volts if you're using a GM 3Bar sensor.

The MAP sensor and MAP gauge are absolute pressure ~0kPa in outer space, ~100kPa at sea level, ~80kPa here in Colorado. In the Basic Settings/General settings menu, you can either configure it for your Default Barometric pressure (100kPa at sea level), or you can configure it to use the MAP sensor reading before starting the engine for the Barometric pressure. The Vac/Boost gauge shows the difference between the initial Barometric pressure and the current MAP sensor pressure.
I had to check the wiring. Map is now set good. Was a user error. I’m right at 100 kPa now. Full functionality. Thank you for the help. Much appreciated.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:22 PM   #12
bobxyz
Board Member

Glad you're making progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvroofer View Post
My second hurdle will be getting my exact timing. I don’t have a lower cover or any cover for that matter . Need to figure a way to fabricate a timing tab.
With the engine off, you could align it to TDC either with the crank pulley notch, or using a straw in a spark plug hole. When at TDC, use some white paint anywhere to make a 0degree alignment line. I think you can get MicroSquirt to idle (maybe poorly) with 0degree advance. Otherwise, you'll need to calculate the distance 10deg of rotation would be, and add a 2nd alignment line.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:28 PM   #13
Dvroofer
Board Member

I can probably do that. Thanks for the help. I do have an adjustable light so I think I can figure it out. Never thought of the straw trick though. Should work
Old 08-12-2021, 05:43 PM   #14
fastcomet
Board Member

update?
fastcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:06 PM   #15
Dvroofer
Board Member

So, I got everything lined up with a mark on the block. Eventually after thinking about it way to much and wanting to be 100% I’m spot on I went to the junk yard , found a lower cover that was pretty much destroyed and came up with a quick solution to double check everything. Right now it starts great and comes to idle pretty quickly. I’ll be putting this tab on and rechecking everything this evening before I go any further. [IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Dvroofer; 08-13-2021 at 05:28 PM..