• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

J
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Hey John...

I use the special tools to hold the liners in place with heads off. They are easy to duplicate.... The photo of the tools in the service manual will give you a good idea for how to do it.

Just skim the heads and no need to do the timing cover. Not enough benefit to increasing static compression with cutting heads to do it this way as doing so changes cam timing in the wrong direction.

Are you having an issue with oil pressure? I've not been shimming the pressure relief in engines I've built in the last eight or so years...... with synthetic oils never an issue.

Want better exhaust flow? Hint: YES! Do get in that exhaust port and dig out the lump in the way of flow and clean it all up. Do also fit the exhaust manifolds of an Eagle Premier/Dodge Monaco with the three liter V-6 to make a seat of the pants improvement. Cut off the outlet flanges and weld to the manifolds to fit them. Works well. Even better........ headers!
    John. I have a '97 780 B280 and wanted to ask you a few questions. 1. what can you use to keep the liners in place when heads are off? I have to get the heads off to replace failed head gasket. 2. How much can be milled from the head (and timing cover to match) before valves and pistons hit? 3. Can oil pump pressure valve to be rebuilt or do you need to replace whole pump? 4. Will port matching the exhaust to gaskets help?

Thank you.
    Hey Ed..... Send me an E-Mail at jclane06@aol.com and we can have chit-chat that is not limited to 1000 characters :roll: Alternatively.... Where in the world are you? I could give a call when the smoke clears. When is a good time? John
    Hi John: I had another posting partner tell me you have done several posts about the ideal v6 setup in a car. I have the 79 volvo with a b27 that is shot, and yet another poster told me that a eagle premier engine is the best to put in a vehicle like that. What are the implications on something like that being put in the 79.
    Can you direct me to your old posts describing this kind fo thing... I searched it but couldn't find it. Ed Olson
    Hello Ed,

Your odd-firing engine........ Yes; a B-28 will go right in place of the current B-27. This is the easiest swap to do. More effort that is worthwhile while keeping the standard intake....... Get the V-6 from a Dodge Monaco/Eagle Premier ...... Years 1989-1991 for a 93mm boresize and even firing pulses. Bolt your car's cylinder heads and everything below the centerline of the crankshaft onto it...... Use the cams and rocker arms of the EP/DM engine. Presto! No more valve adjustments and a perfectly smooth idle with higher static compression. Win-win-win. You will have to locate a trigger wheel for the distributor to make even firing pulses. Volvo 164E used it as did several BMW sixes of that vintage.

B-280? Nice runner. I prefer the Eagle Premier for it's better intake ports and 93mm boresize to Volvo's 91mm. You can use the Volvo injection on the EP engine or fit the engine management of the EP/DM. Thoughts?

John Lane
    Hi John: I was referred to you by another member... Basically I am seeking advice and information on how to revive my 79 264. It has a defunct b27 engine and I am wondering if a b28 from an 80- 83? will work in it without big conversion problems. Also, do you think it is advisable to try to swap in a b280 from a 740, years 87-90? I understand the intake manifold and other items won't swap, making it necessary to use the b280 fuel injection, which then necessitates using the electronic brain from the 280, then that necessitates changing the wiring, the other electronic components that drive the engine... and by that time I am wondering if that swap is worth it even though it is a more durable engine. What do you think? Ed Olson
    805 529-3101
    Virtually any A/C signal at the battery says that your alternator is having an issue with diodes.

This will certainly fry any and all electronics that are looking for a steady 12-14 volts.

Glad to help.
    John
    Thanks for the help on finding the "poltergeist" AKA fried computer.
    In your last post you mention reading AC voltage that leaks past the diodes in the alternator.
    I'm getting about .5VAC is that OK, or a computer killer? I have a guarantee on the alternator, should I take advantage of it?
    Mr. John Sir, Hi my name is Allen , I live in Texas and am rebuilding MY PRV-6 B280f + T! Or so I thought. I have been lookin @ this project long before I even ever heard of you. Spent MANY hours tracking parts but now I think I'm screwed! My Liners Are Shot! well 3 of 'em anyway. they have major rust pit damage and multiple "oil ring grooves" pit etched in complete radial manner . new liners n pistons are 350.00 ea. from DMC , So I'm PRAYIN You might be able to hook me up.
    I really would like to call But i figured i better not with out your permission . I have some questions about all this setup.
    Anyway Please call me if you can (830) 285-9632 or email at 45slim@gmail.com. I really neeed some descent Cylinder liners. Please help!! Thanks!!
    Hey John, I have a dead B280F crank.... Do you know if the eagle premier crank is a direct swap? You seem to have a lot of experience with this engine, thanks!
    Sure Brett!

When will you be in town?

Want to deal in some gold wheels?

How about a couple sets of AMG wheels? Any chance that I could talk you into taking pics of them so that they could actually end up on the web?

Give a ring....... (425)260-7746

I have to deal with a client 10:00-12:00 tomorrow........

Thoughts?

John
    Hey I'm coming to the USA early early tomorrow. Also sometime the next few weeks. I have a single nice lightly curbed but straight Sirius. Interested?
    Let me know what you'd like for the lights, shipping to 01085 - all set on tin, body is amazing for being in New England all it's life
    Hey John,
    Name is Pat Darrow. We met briefly at Doo wops 08 when Tina Warner introduced us. I am building a group 2 240 and post as slidewayswrx on Rally Anarchy. I am nearly done with installing JVAB 41mm boingers, boxed a arms, 740t rotors, and Rx7 calipers under the front arches but have hit a road bump at the last instruction before FF. In order to clear the mazda calipers i need to run ~10mm spacer. Time to upgrade studs. I thought no problem. I wanted to upgrade to M14 or something similar while I was at it. Finding a stud with the .64" 240 knurl ~2.5-3" and beefy is harder than one have thought. Mind telling me what your monster is running. I am running the Sirius wheels, as you are. Thanks for any input you could give me. Hope to see you on the stages soon.......on your wheels!

Pat Darrow
    Wow, totally never caught your response!
    Not much is new. Have a new job now. Have a second silly fast Volvo in the driveway, waiting to be shipped to Ontario.
    No serious girls yet, but I'm playing the field. =)
    The wagon is falling apart around me. The front suspension has some serious play in it and the steering rack is noisy. Oil consumption has improved however. Maybe it's the cold weather? Does that make sense? I'll have to dig into the car soon.
    Hello Brett,

I've been very busy of late.
    Carrie is steadily improving. The doc tells us that her Sacrum is mostly healed.

I've been beavering away on the building. The pool is planted, the concrete walls are done and they are 2/3 done with the concrete floors. Framing started last week.
    Aside from being sleep deprived, I'm well.

Hows about you? What is new/exciting for Brett?

John
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back