• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Recent content by quillc

1. quillc

Fundraiser for Redwood Chair

donated. RIP Ken.
  2. quillc

New 240 owner, looking for some input/parts advice

Yep, the seals are a common pain point on these cars. Anytime I do a timing belt, I replace the seals. Its nice if you have the correct seal driver, but not urgent. More important is to carefully use some crocus cloth to clean off the shaft where the seals run. Once you do that and carefully...
  3. quillc

'83 headlights upgrade

Hella makes a nice housing that you can install that bolts right in as a direct replacement. Discard the H4 halogens and install a set of these: https://a.co/d/bspm1eO. The combination of the quality Hella reflectors and the PIAA LED bulbs is outstanding. If you want to go further, get a set of...
  4. quillc

Hood Fitment Issues

You need to lubricate your hinges. Typically when they get bent like this its because the hinges get stiff due to corrosion/grunge/dirt. Some Lithium grease will make them move nicely. There is also adjustment points where the hinge bolts to the hood and where it bolts to the inner fender well...
  5. quillc

240 clutch fork pivot ball shimming

you may also want to check that the firewall hasn't torn where the clutch cable passes through it. There is a lot of force on that plate and I've fixed a couple of these failures over the years.
  6. quillc

Oil Pump Mods - Max Effort

Amy Hood is the villain here, not 'ole Bill...
  7. quillc

240 Valves too tight?

I typically pull the hushers out, measure and select shims, check that its correct and then install the final shim with the husher. Measure without, run it with. The husher keeps the shim in contact with the backside of the came lobe so that you don't get the clicking sound when the cam comes...
  8. quillc

240 Rear axle tab shape precision on a 244

I haven't seen any difference in the ones I've done. Press the old one out, press the new one in... done. I installed a V1 of Ben's orbital bearing. The housing pressed in just fine. There isn't any side:side play in the orbital. The only reason there was some in the rubber version was because...
  9. quillc

240 rear control arm bushing

If Ben Kaplan gets more of his spherical bearings in stock, those are the way to go. I've got over 100K on the mark 1 set on my 242 and they are still going strong. Prior to that I ran the poly bushings. I found that pulling the housing, removing the rubber and reinstalling the empty housing...
  10. quillc

Looking for 84 Volvo BOSCH 240DL Distributor with HAL sensor

If that doesn't work out, I just converted my 83 242 with the Bosch cap distributor over to LH2.2+EZK with Dave Barton's harness. I no longer have need for the distributor as a result.
  11. quillc

Why does my standard car ping?

Could be a bunch of carbon pushing up the compression ratio. You should be able to look down through the spark plug holes when the piston(s) are at TDC. You should be able to reasonably see how much carbon is there. In my experience, there needs to be a fair bit built up before it really becomes...
  12. quillc

LH Fuel Rail inline gauge adapter?

Back in the day, I remember seeing a 745 here locally in Seattle that the owner had a fuel gauge setup on a little block that was inserted in between the fuel line and the rail. Does anyone remember that and/or know where that little block came from? As I recall he had pieced it together and...
  13. quillc

240 M46 Clutch Cable Firewall Tearout

Is your clutch pedal mysteriously sinking? Does it engage right off the floor? Have you adjusted the cable to the very limit of its travel and it doesn't seem to make any difference? You have likely suffered the dreaded clutch cable firewall tearout. If you look a the pictures at the beginning...
  14. quillc

XXX rootbeer drive in Swedish car show 2019

Its coming up again. scheduled for 2/10 (Sunday) at the XXX Rootbeer Drive In in Issaquah. Anyone going?
  15. quillc

TruTrac setup

Hi all, Looking at (finally) installing my TrueTrac high preload LSD in my DD. I'm changing to a 3.73 gear ratio from the 3.31 that are in the car now. Looking for anyone else's experience setting one up. 1. Did you measure pinion depth? 2. If you did, what tool did you use? 3. When...
Back