• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16v on b230 bottom end

MrBill

fige=500Dollar Mistake
300+ Club
Okay I've had all this stuff for years and I'm finally getting around to doing something with them.

Question #1. Will the lower timing cover off an 8v fit? I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to check ignition timing and the such. I've seen pictures with it fitted, but don't really know if someone had to modify or space it out.

Question #2. Since I don't have the rear portion of the timing cover for the head, I assume the marks on the valve cover are for my cam gears? Just draw an imaginary line?
y3mjpgEnhUi5raiV8p8cBeKLp6m2Peo7rgnGUBaOf-zNeMRhoiBLyRCY0K8rLt3JTetzWmJdVRDtgXaNYj58GmYFzT4Z4EHY5dUDxtHNrHoRVA1yRpRP9RrItYs7o33ReeS1NDvwtVaQ_Xkc0qP30L4BW7oxIazmtoud6guXLe1Fxc

Question #3. What is the tensioning procedure for the yoshifab tensioner? I see how it spins and moves to tension, but how do I decide what is 'tight enough' for the setup?
y3mFDq5qM5pOVFLpFBg4DdF_EcyRQtWhFtpCXUjA--i526vqqHlYYk0O64MldhAIZl_EE_4wDf7S9-pbbzfkKMEBzuqoLnXQxLraIb7WX2BBWfJqPWf8BsBhZkZb5gO8NLrY6yn7cVAXHsVfQeOIYM3ORQLCKFpbTZDt5W56vRpXME

Lower cover will need to be chopped in half. NO it doesnt fit to the head...

Tension!? Not so tight you can "play the harp", but just tight enough. There are tools to check if you really aren't sure.

Those marks on the valve cover, yes, they are TDC for the cams.

Cool kids on tbricks dont run timing covers!

Volvo specs the timing belt tension based on engine temp and belt age. The specs are given in a number that corresponds to the value displayed on the gauge of special tool #9988500.

B234TimingBeltTensionSpecs.jpg

BeltTensionTool9988500.jpg

Last edited:
so is this just for ignition timing or valve timing as well. if you are checking valve timing , pull the valve cover and use the degree kit i lent you. if you need a hand with setting up the kit, i will be back up in DC later this week.

Okay I've had all this stuff for years and I'm finally getting around to doing something with them.

Question #1. Will the lower timing cover off an 8v fit? I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to check ignition timing and the such. I've seen pictures with it fitted, but don't really know if someone had to modify or space it out.

Question #2. Since I don't have the rear portion of the timing cover for the head, I assume the marks on the valve cover are for my cam gears? Just draw an imaginary line?
y3mjpgEnhUi5raiV8p8cBeKLp6m2Peo7rgnGUBaOf-zNeMRhoiBLyRCY0K8rLt3JTetzWmJdVRDtgXaNYj58GmYFzT4Z4EHY5dUDxtHNrHoRVA1yRpRP9RrItYs7o33ReeS1NDvwtVaQ_Xkc0qP30L4BW7oxIazmtoud6guXLe1Fxc

looks like you're off half a tooth. I like to set things up so that when I roll the slack to the tensioner side, everything "pulls" to tdc.

Yeah not timed final by any means. Gotta cut a groove in a crank pulley for that fancy crank gear and figure out that lower timing cover.
And a bunch of other stuff. J-pipe hits my oil cooler lines.

That is too expensive.
The belt routing hasn't changed enough to impact the fitment of the 8v timing cover. I'll get some standoffs and space it out some.

Back