• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1973 140 windshield options

spock345

Currently I have the windshield out of the car on my '73 144 to do some rust repair around the windshield frame. This windshield currently has the unobtainable metal trim clips. About five or six of the clips on the car are entirely rotted away. Another catch, this is one of the windshields with an integral antenna, currently I am working on repairing the wire from the windshield.

I think there are a few options here, a '91-93 style rubber trim, the 1980 trim with plastic clips I have in the garage, or the original trim with some custom fabricated clips.

Are the two more modern options going to cause any issues with the little slots used to anchor the original clips?

Volvo issued a TSB about updating the early trim to the later style. You're supposed to tap the slots closed and seal them with butyl.

With my former 1973 142, it had rust along the cowl and a-pillar areas. When I had the dash out to retrofit in the one from a mid-80s 240 I had the cowl rust attended to. At the same time I replaced the windshield with one of the flat 1992-93 240s. Wanted to have the look of the black surround and didn't care about the chrome trim as I was going for an orange and black look on the car. I believe the trim clips were flattened for the installation.

4731316844_97530b40fa_c.jpg

4753761328_b14149eac0_c.jpg

4753759892_c8151fce01_c.jpg

5109879736_6bf80cef98_c.jpg

With my former 1973 142, it had rust along the cowl and a-pillar areas. When I had the dash out to retrofit in the one from a mid-80s 240 I had the cowl rust attended to. At the same time I replaced the windshield with one of the flat 1992-93 240s. Wanted to have the look of the black surround and didn't care about the chrome trim as I was going for an orange and black look on the car. I believe the trim clips were flattened for the installation.

4731316844_97530b40fa_c.jpg

4753761328_b14149eac0_c.jpg

4753759892_c8151fce01_c.jpg

5109879736_6bf80cef98_c.jpg
That doesn't look so bad. Probably won't even notice the black trim as the car is dark blue. Since the windshield is in good shape I'll probably just buy the trim that Dave Barton mentions on his windshield page and use that on the existing windshield.

While the car has 90k miles on it I think the thing had the windshield out before. There was body filler in and around each clip that I've been removing along with the old butyl to start with a clean surface. Which led me to find a good chunk of the passenger A pillar has filler on it, not sure if I want to dig into that or not.

I had the Rust Clips exiled from my '73 when I had the chance, and I've never looked back.

The windscreen guy fitted a 240 91+ screen and seal.

Sure don't miss the wind noise, nor the Soil Sample Collection.

1704182884355.png

That doesn't look so bad. Probably won't even notice the black trim as the car is dark blue. Since the windshield is in good shape I'll probably just buy the trim that Dave Barton mentions on his windshield page and use that on the existing windshield.

While the car has 90k miles on it I think the thing had the windshield out before. There was body filler in and around each clip that I've been removing along with the old butyl to start with a clean surface. Which led me to find a good chunk of the passenger A pillar has filler on it, not sure if I want to dig into that or not.
Well, I ended up digging into the A pillar bondo. It was kind of bad. A previous guy put filler over a hole and it was cracking.

Back