• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 242 GT. A reasonable project.

Needs fancy oil fill cap. Could almost see polishing up the Volvo on the plug valley cover for a teeny bit of pop?

< regrets not stitch welding his car

I have a yoshifab oil fill cap sitting in a box. I don't like how it fits or how hot the aluminum gets, so it sits unused.

The plastic polishing idea is interesting...

I do like the strut sway brace you are using..... a Euro design I suppose? If covered previous I'll dig backward in your build to find the source.

Agree with the black OEM look, very nice!

A few other little updates. I spent all day in the garage yesterday plugging away at various things. A lot in the works, but not a ton completed. Lots of time stripping the remaining sheet metal for the front end so I can paint that soon.

I welded up a couple holes and painted a new firewall panel.

48163932686_4d62183ac8_b.jpg

48163932796_ff7c740415_b.jpg

48163931676_522cd9f02f_b.jpg

Then carefully laid down some gold reflective heat barrier in the areas where it's actually hot (rather than just all over the passenger side like I did last time).

48163932986_a7eebef92c_b.jpg

Completed the front light harness including the addition of a couple Deutsch connectors to make it a bit more tidy and removable when needed.

48164011732_5b464871e2_b.jpg

One of the perks of using BMW shifters in the setup is that I can quite easily swap around different stock shifters to change the height and throw for pretty little cost. I'm swapping from the e46 330xi shifter I've had in there for a e60 535i shifter that is a bit taller and should provide a shorter throw between gears.

48164011897_c229abb1a8_b.jpg

I do like the strut sway brace you are using..... a Euro design I suppose? If covered previous I'll dig backward in your build to find the source.

Agree with the black OEM look, very nice!

Thanks! The brace is actually one offered on the forum here way back. I got it second hand but I believe it was a pretty small run of braces offered by cravingboost. I could be wrong on that though. I think RogerDee offers the strut top plates so you could replicate something similar.

This has got to be one of the top builds on TB! killer attention to detail, ingenuity and resourcefulness!

I followed the 8v progress in real time, but took a couple years off and just finished catching up on the whiteblock exploits. Not gonna lie though, it's made me more confident in my decision to go 16v 😆

Third times the charm 🙏🏿

Thanks for the kind words! And yes, it WILL work this time.

After a long holiday weekend away from home, I'm finally back to cracking away at this. Engine is pretty close to buttoned up now.

48254594977_f03fdea3ec_b.jpg

48254594862_0ee3d069bb_b.jpg

48254594907_54cfc6a14e_b.jpg

Biggest hurdle at this point is prepping and painting all of the front sheet metal panels and hood hinges. I hate prep.

I was soaking in the pictures, thinking of that exciting first start and drive... then looked down and saw the date of 11-July on my monitor.

You're supposed to put the engine in the car BEFORE driving season starts :-P :lol:

I was soaking in the pictures, thinking of that exciting first start and drive... then looked down and saw the date of 11-July on my monitor.

You're supposed to put the engine in the car BEFORE driving season starts :-P :lol:

To be fair... the engine was in at the start of the season. I removed after finding problems in the first couple drives of the year.

Here?s hoping this settles it, and the engine can happily hang out in there for a while. :nod:

First drive happened last night, after having fixed a coolant leak from the water pipe o-ring that I found on Wednesday night.

Only 15 miles in, but so far things are good. I'm running with engine break-in oil, keeping RPM varied <4k and throttle input <60%. Plan is to keep putting around in it like that, change the oil after 50 miles for another batch of break-in oil, and then change that batch of oil out at around 500 miles.

48324143017_4e4de8ffaf_b.jpg

48324060327_7e38c1b90b_b.jpg

Last edited:
242 gt

amazing craftsmanship!!! I could not stop going thought the entire build!!!
I wish i had the finances to make my wagon like yours. Im on a budget saving and recycling parts from the local pick and pull. Im in Chicago and hopefuly one day we could meet with other turbobrickers!!!
take care
DZ:rofl:

Back