• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1981 244 GL High MPG - daughter's first car

sweedish car parts has vynil blue covers on sale for $100. That's almost what I would spend on materials alone if i did it here at work. I ordered some because my car has blue vynil interior and matches.

Great build and am enjoying watching this.

But about those seat covers; the description says ...

"This vinyl seat cover is a direct match to the original color and texture to Volvo's vinyl seats for the 240 Series. Fits: Volvo 240/260 (1975 - 1993) with 3 parallel single-stitched lines in the design. (my emphasis).

most of us know that pre 86 seats have a shorter seat back, right?

But about those seat covers; the description says ...

"This vinyl seat cover is a direct match to the original color and texture to Volvo's vinyl seats for the 240 Series. Fits: Volvo 240/260 (1975 - 1993) with 3 parallel single-stitched lines in the design. (my emphasis).

the other covers have the exact years on them. wierd the covers I listed should be newer version seats.
These look like newer seat covers

Thread 'Early vs late 240 seats and seat covers, help with fitment.' https://turbobricks.com/index.php?t...ats-and-seat-covers-help-with-fitment.366150/

Last edited:
I used old 240 carpet
I once sprayed the hat shelf but not with SEM and while it looked good I didnt like how stiff the fibers were
IDK theres got to be something even RIT dye comes out well most of the time ...

These covers are fine still just a little faded. I think it's one color just looks different with long/short fibers, think of corduroy pants
8vf5SeS.jpg

Should turn out nice with a fresh batch of dye on the seat covers. Such a great first car. I can tell from your posts she is gonna really enjoy the car.
edit: Didn't see 240s post till after I posted. Sounds like a good plan.
thank you. She likes how it's turning out so far. Hopefully I can find a decent dye

I want your blasting setup. I dream of working on clean prepped metal.
it's nice 15x25 (something like that) booth and we use steel grit as media

Thank you. Oh yeah low vs high backs

I was gone this weekend so I didnt get to do much. On sunday we got a new battery bracket at the JY
RzVxScq.jpg

I didnt want to cut so much but the bolts holding the tray down were rusted on
rF2jU4P.jpg

got it off today at work, Hopefully tomorrow Im going to blast it
9EqEnfn.jpg

replaced broken/old connectors
vamL5Nu.jpg

cleaned, lubed, assembled the pedal assembly
5xKA3dj.jpg

The trick to painting carpet with SEM cans is to brush the fibers between coats with a soft brush.
for sure but hard to do that on the hat shelf
Im looking into dyeing the seat covers and it's either rit dye or sem spray ... unless I find something else but IDK yet what I'll do

fine don't listen

Have you tried naptha to try and restore some color to the skins?
I have to try something, blue velour is one of the best interiors

nope I dont have any

today
blasted the battery bracket
hGaSafJ.jpg

found a broken evap hose
e1XRVab.jpg

separated the sheet metal from bracket
FTIZkrt.jpg

started to prep the sheet metal for welding
tTkDfFn.jpg

Z6UN3Yq.jpg

cut off the old bracket at the welds
y8rTQh1.jpg

done for today. Im going to coat the bracket before welding it in. I also need to replace some sheet metal front of the bracket - see hole
EyqvfAM.jpg

today.
I was busy with other junk and only got to work on the sheet metal for a little bit

coated these at work
wXv6vHp.jpg

hard to get into this spot and prep it right with the tools I have at home
3VLvsru.jpg

sun was going down and I should have brought my hood and good lighting home. It was "difficult" to see/weld toward the fender side
BKPt0uY.jpg

cleaned up well enough... done for today
2vbCSOq.jpg

Last edited:
Thursday last week
I put the seat bottom together
8caA2WJ.jpg

time flies .... I was gone again for the weekend so I didnt get a change to work on this

GF got the starter tested and rebuilt. It was working fine, just a minor refresh at our local alternator/starter guy. If you're close to Sac I highly recommend this guy. https://g.co/kgs/dxj5Xnu (he rebuilt stuff for our 850s, 240s, 122, it's always fast, cheap and looks brand new when done)
tZsUASA.jpg

Today, I removed some more rust and welded up the remaining hole
xfKBkVv.jpg

GkDgXFG.jpg

Since I have some POR I used it... every time I use it I feel like I'm cheating somehow
nPLH65y.jpg

removed the auto pedal
GPFTMQh.jpg

Installed manual pedal assembly
gSsE3km.jpg

removed the o2 replacement reminder
fN0gCQr.jpg

Last edited:
And allows more airflow to the radiator.
:nod: aero comes into play over 30mph... there's lots that can be done to a 240 but thats a whole different thread and car

today.

I pulled an ignition harness from an 87 and seat bottom foam.
q8ryC8i.jpg

painted - used 215 from my wagon - ehh close if you squint your eyes - it was the only metallic blue I had
jVH5LtP.jpg

installed driver side lighting
4LmnCzI.jpg

nice to know the battery tray will be there once the rest of the car rusts out. Do the plastic protection tray help the metal last longer? or does it just trap more acid?

Back