• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1988 740 Crank/No Start

fortbrick

1988 740 turbo lh 2.2 m46 car.

Car developed a crank/no start condition that has progressively gotten worse. Sometimes the car starts on its second or third try at cranking but lately it has taken over a minute of on/off attempts. Recently the car has also began shutting off while driving (notably after higher rpm or being in a little bit of boost), and then requires the same amount of time to get it fired up again. If the car is running and I turn it off it almost always does not start back up right away. I see the tachometer bumping when cranking, I do not recall if that is a normal condition or not.

Engine is mostly stock, nothing aftermarket as far as ignition or fuel system.

Previously I was told to suspect the hall sensor in the distributor to be on its way out. This morning I replaced the distributor assembly, checked timing (as these year models are not timed with the ecu I read) and checked the resistance of the spark plug wires and coil wire. Those all checked out okay but I plan to replace the plugs/wires soon for maintenance.

I should note, once the car is running it idles normally and I have not encountered a scenario when it dies just idling.

I am starting to suspect the fuel system, likely a pump that has gone bad or is on its way out. I can hear a noise from the underneath of the car near the inline pump that I do not recall previously hearing.

Attached are two videos, the first showing the cranking procedure I have to use to get the engine started. It restarts right around 2:35 into the video.

The second video shows the noise from underneath.

Thanks for any input on this issue.

Andy

Back