• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2013 Volvo XC90 intermittant start

bmw-g07-x7-home-sp-xxl.jpg

BMW X7 just came out and has 3 rows.

Do you need to tow anything? That is the differentiator on a lot of the SUVs vs capability.

Naaa man. I want two more years out of the XC90 then she wants a Tahoe. Tahoes are sort of thing with her family and they last a long time and are reliable.

Naaa man. I want two more years out of the XC90 then she wants a Tahoe. Tahoes are sort of thing with her family and they last a long time and are reliable.

100% true! 200k+ is nothing to an LS engine.

IMO get a used Escalade as it is sooo much more car for the money vs a Tahoe. The larger 6.2 engine is worth it alone. At least ensure you get the electromagnetic suspension vs base steel/rear air.

... I tried to justify a used Tahoe Z71, but for the same price the Cayenne S was better in every category. No 3rd row needed so that was a non-issue. My only regret is not spending a little bit more for a Turbo version.

Adding: If reliability is your #1 goal then a GM SUV is very very hard to beat. Our current 2010 ESV has 194k and going strong. Our old 2005 ESV we sold to a friend is about 300k and still going strong. So yes, hard to beat.

Last edited:
100% true! 200k+ is nothing to an LS engine.

IMO get a used Escalade as it is sooo much more car for the money vs a Tahoe. The larger 6.2 engine is worth it alone. At least ensure you get the electromagnetic suspension vs base steel/rear air.

... I tried to justify a used Tahoe Z71, but for the same price the Cayenne S was better in every category. No 3rd row needed so that was a non-issue. My only regret is not spending a little bit more for a Turbo version.

Adding: If reliability is your #1 goal then a GM SUV is very very hard to beat. Our current 2010 ESV has 194k and going strong. Our old 2005 ESV we sold to a friend is about 300k and still going strong. So yes, hard to beat.

Yeah man, I totally dig them. I'll buy her new because she keeps cars for 8-10 years and the new Tahoe will be a lot better and worth it for us versus the current one. The third row of the current Tahoe has no legroom because of the axle. They are changing that with the new one.

She wants to order one.

BTW good choice on the Cayenne. I get it.

Try doing a voltage drop test on the battery cables. I fix some trucks that have complaints of intermittent no crank and the voltage drop test can reveal bad cables. 250mv is the cutoff.

Is there another Volvo dealer or a Volvo friendly mechanic you can take it to for a second opinion? I would be hesitant to replace the ECU if that's just a shot in the dark on their part.

Is there another Volvo dealer or a Volvo friendly mechanic you can take it to for a second opinion? I would be hesitant to replace the ECU if that's just a shot in the dark on their part.

They swapped out the ECU and the dealer drove it to and from work for a few days. Problem didn't show up, and it would have by then. They also kept starting throughout the days it was there.

Probably didn't need the starter, but I mean its already installed. I can understand why they thought it was the starter. My S80 starter went out at about the same age and miles. Same problem, would start like 9/10 times.

Just need 2 more years then new gen Tahoe it is.

Learn to do voltage drop testing on your Taho cables too. :wink. The negative cable goes bad and can cause intermittent no cranks.

Learn to do voltage drop testing on your Taho cables too. :wink. The negative cable goes bad and can cause intermittent no cranks.

I was outta town for a while when the car had these problems and the wife was crying on the phone the car was dead. I agree with you but I am glad it is fixed at this point.

Back