• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 seat, side bolsters

cc-hays

Can I repair the bolsters on the vertical part of the seat? Or is it a replacement only option? Anyone have a how to?

Thanks!

Seriously, there are side bolsters on your 240 seat? j/k

The stock seat has a large foam upper pad which wraps around the side frame of the seat. You would have to add some foam to repair what you have or replace the whole uppper foam section. If you can find a good used passenger side seat. You can use the foam to repair the drivers side.

See instructions here for disassembly/re-assembly: http://cleanflametrap.com/tony/index.htm

(Note: for Step B of Bottom instructions, you can insert a screwdriver from the back and simply tap it to pop off the seat knob center cover, no prying needed.)

You can repair some splits in the foam, but not major falling-apart damage. The foam from JY passenger seats works fine for either side.

To repair the foam, you'll need some old blue jeans, a can of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, and a box of nitrile gloves.
1) First spray both sides of any cracks, work the glue into the foam, and somehow squeeze it together gently to dry overnight.
2) Trim the blue jeans to reinforce the back side. When you're happy with the patch shape, trace it in black marker so you can get it back to the same position.
3) Working fast, spray both foam and one side of jeans with glue. Put it in position and quickly smooth it out and shove it into the valley in the foam. Do one side at a time. You'll probably want to try a few dry runs first, and might practice too on a extra piece of foam.

Note: the seat bottom foam is the same but there are short (85-) and tall (86+) seat backs. The early backs have more of an "A" shaped headrest while the later ones are more of an upside-down "U".

'85- seat back (click for bigger size)

'86+ seat back - the valleys are deeper for the 86+ side bolster tubes (you need to work fast to get the jeans all the way to the bottom and smoothed out)

Last edited:
Thank you bobxyz, for finding the pictures and the link which help explain what happen to our seats after years of use. When I bought my car, I didn't even think about going this in-depth. The upholstery was ripped on the drivers side and was fixed with some battoning and some blue upholstery thread. Which lasted for a few years, but it's now time to do it right! Now that my brain can understand what has happened to the seats better, it looks like a good fall/winter project to undertake. Thanks!

In my experience the 86 and newer seat back frames are weaker. I've had to repair split metal on those a couple of times. It was at the very top where they failed. I used an L shaped bracket and drilled bolt holes to bolt it on to reinforce the split upper corner.

In my experience the 86 and newer seat back frames are weaker. I've had to repair split metal on those a couple of times. It was at the very top where they failed. I used an L shaped bracket and drilled bolt holes to bolt it on to reinforce the split upper corner.

Haha! I wonder if that's why my seat back has more play in it than the passengers side. It doesn't seem as robust. As soon as I sat in it today I was reminded of the metal bar underneath the upholstery. I'll probably have to fabricate the same L bracket you did. Thank you for the idea on how to fix it, dl242gt!

seat

I'm going to disassemble a passenger seat from a 1992 if you need any of the frame pieces. You may have it for the price of shipping once I take it apart. :nod:

I know the passenger and driver have a few difference but the offer stands.

Last edited:
See instructions here for disassembly/re-assembly: http://cleanflametrap.com/tony/index.htm

(Note: for Step B of Bottom instructions, you can insert a screwdriver from the back and simply tap it to pop off the seat knob center cover, no prying needed.)

You can repair some splits in the foam, but not major falling-apart damage. The foam from JY passenger seats works fine for either side.

To repair the foam, you'll need some old blue jeans, a can of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, and a box of nitrile gloves.
1) First spray both sides of any cracks, work the glue into the foam, and somehow squeeze it together gently to dry overnight.
2) Trim the blue jeans to reinforce the back side. When you're happy with the patch shape, trace it in black marker so you can get it back to the same position.
3) Working fast, spray both foam and one side of jeans with glue. Put it in position and quickly smooth it out and shove it into the valley in the foam. Do one side at a time. You'll probably want to try a few dry runs first, and might practice too on a extra piece of foam.

Note: the seat bottom foam is the same but there are short (85-) and tall (86+) seat backs. The early backs have more of an "A" shaped headrest while the later ones are more of an upside-down "U".

'85- seat back (click for bigger size)

'86+ seat back - the valleys are deeper for the 86+ side bolster tubes (you need to work fast to get the jeans all the way to the bottom and smoothed out)

Thanks for that link. Considering the age of the foam and crumbling, best to buy new seat foam! Your butt will thank you😂

Back