• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 spicer heavy duty center support bearing

sloopy

2-digit whp
 I picked up a heavy duty center support bearing from sts machining (https://www.stsmachininginc.com/col...s/hd-center-support-bearing-for-240-1974-1993) a while back. I guess this is that spicer bearing with the rubber isolator trimmed into a circular shape. Was I supposed to trim this metal lip off of my driveshaft first? I pressed the bearing on and it's interfering with this lip which looks like it's just there to keep debris out.
IMG_20230326_190120.jpg

i installed this and i don't recall there being any interference there. Is that lip (on the bearing itself) on both sides?

this seemed easier and more straightforward. well, except that i need to cut this lip off the driveshaft apparently. problem is, im not sure how to get this bearing off without deatroying it. if i peel the rubber mount off and pull it by the outer case with a 3-arm puller, will it damage the bearing?

this seemed easier and more straightforward. well, except that i need to cut this lip off the driveshaft apparently. problem is, im not sure how to get this bearing off without deatroying it. if i peel the rubber mount off and pull it by the outer case with a 3-arm puller, will it damage the bearing?
Most likely. You want a puller that will get to the inner race of the bearing.

Under stock driving conditions only… the moment you put power to the ground that flimsy rubber is going to squish and clunk.
That's what I've also heard some say. Though I've used only 240 stock, and mostly factory installed, supports with zero issues in all my 240 builds, including three "T6s" and a D5:e-shrug:

Can someone weigh in on the 740 center support vs the spicer one? I ended up buying a kit for the 740 center support while pondering my vibration issues and I'm wondering if I should swap them while I have everything out. I'm running a tremec t5 and im shooting for 170 whp eventually and I may occasionally be launching this thing for fun :^)

I ended up swapping in the 740 center support since it's a lot softer than the spicer one and I figured I'll do anything to reduce driveshaft vibrations in the cabin. I think it'll be able to handle some naturally aspirated power. By the way, is the bearing supposed to go all the way to the back lip of the bushing? I was only able to get it maybe half way in. Seems pretty stuck in there and I wasn't sure how to put more force on it without stretching out the rubber.

Yeah I got the bearing installed on the driveshaft. I don't have a press, but I used two flat punches positioned on opposite sides of the inner race and slowly tapped it on. It took a few hundred taps, but it went on easy. What I had trouble with was getting the bearing fully into the support bushing. I got it about half way in until the rubber started collapsing and I couldn't get more force on it without fear of ripping the rubber. I used a bit of grease too.

Can someone weigh in on the 740 center support vs the spicer one? I ended up buying a kit for the 740 center support while pondering my vibration issues and I'm wondering if I should swap them while I have everything out. I'm running a tremec t5 and im shooting for 170 whp eventually and I may occasionally be launching this thing for fun :^)

You can adjust the center support height when you do the retrofit.

When I had my support modified I made sure there was room to add shims between the bearing and support to raise if need be. You can also add shims between the support and the floor pan to lower it.

I had to lower mine 1/3” to make the shaft line up with my 5.0/T-5

Also look into adjustable torque rods.

I ended up just adjusting my crossmember to get the trans pointed right at the center support. I'll check to make sure the trans and center support are at the same angle though which I guess is more important. I want to get my hands on ben's hybrid adjustable torque rods, but they've been out of stock for a while. Btw, do you know how I should get the center support bearing seated fully in the bushing?

I ended up just adjusting my crossmember to get the trans pointed right at the center support. I'll check to make sure the trans and center support are at the same angle though which I guess is more important.
All the down angles (^) should add up to the up angles (v), if that makes sense.

So if the trans to 1st section is a 1deg drop, then the 1st section to 2nd section is a 3deg drop.. the 2nd section to the diff needs to be 4deg up. With rubber bushings you'll have many degrees of pinion angle change from drive to coast. If you have no vibes on accel and then a lot on decel in gear, you'll probably want to point the pinion up.

Back