• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240DL overdrive problems

loungelizard

:help:

I have been having problems with the manual overdrive. The button to turn it on and off does not seem to work, and it will turn on and off randomly on its own. Right now it has been ON for awhile with no way for me to turn it OFF. Is there a way to disconnect the manual overdrive completely (so that I don't have to drive around at higher RMPs) or to generally fix this problem?

Hello,
Usually with the automatic o/d the random on and off is caused by the relay. If you are handy with a soldering iron. Sometimes opening the relay and resoldering cracked and broken traces can
fix it. Doesn't cost anything to try. However, many times the relay is bad and you just have to replace it. Also the switch on the shifter can get dirty and not work properly. If you turn your car
off then the next time you start the car the o/d should be working. If the light comes on when you start the car most likely
the relay is crapping out.

Wish you well,

Or you could do what I did and just bypass the relay. But you have to be real careful about that, I almost killed something today. I had the OD engaged and put the car into second gear, it started, then it started bucking like hell....then when I realized what was going on and turned off the relay, it wouldnt stay in OD...so when I got gas, I (of course) turned off the car, and when I started it back up, all was good. Thank god

Although I am OK with a soldering iron, I think I would rather replace the relay. Are they expensive? And, and can someone tell me where it is in the car? Thanks!

The OD relay is right behind the front dash. Mine was screwed like yours, and it got really annoying. Mine was blue, but there are other colors. When I took mine apart, there were no broken connections, it just sucked.

Behind the center vents, where the AC controls are and such. Mine was directly behind the peice of black (chrome bordered) trim under the center vents.

o/d relay

Hi,
The automatic and manual trans relays are in the same location. To get to them you remove the glove box. Then you can look to the left behind the center section and you'll see the relay. For manual tranny M46 it's a blue relay. Automatic trannys have either a white or orange one. I had to replace this relay on my mother's 90. They go bad, also the switch in the shifter can go back but that usually won't let it turn it on/off. Try one from a salvage yard.

Best regards,

Back