• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

245 skipping at deceleration/idle, flickering lights

jkior

Car: '88 245DL, stock b230F w/ stock LH2.2 ignition

Wear: ~160k, but the steering wheel is WAY more worn than my other `87 245 with >250k. . . Very little body rust; wiring harness has been in good condition wherever I've pulled it apart, although the exterior insulation has disintigrated.

Mods: Nothing, really. Rear Bilstein HDs, lexan tailgate window.

Recent related maintenance: Repl. fuel, air filters, intake mani gasket, injector rings, in-tank pump almost new. Water/seafoam engine cleaning, seafoam in fuel and oil.

Problem 1 symptoms: I didn't notice this problem when I had the car running a few weeks ago. The the defroster switch got stuck on and blew out the rear window, so the car was down until I got some lexan to replace it. Now the car starts easily, runs fine, accelerates fine (normally, anyway), but starts to skip (feels exactly like it did when my hall effect sensor wire was jiggling loose, causing a slightly erratic but total ignition failure) *only* when decelerating quickly, and while idling afterword. In other words, I have no problems, if I decelerate slowly, but if I push it at all, it feels like the car is going to die until I rev the engine again and get moving, at which point its fine. What the heck? It might be the hall effect sensor wire or something, but I don't understand what would cause it only on deceration. . .

Problem 2 symptoms: Probably totally unrelated, but the lights (radio backlight, dashlight, and headlights, flicker at a regular frequency (doesn't change with the engine RPM). I can hear the rear fuel pump keeping time with its moan to the flickering lights. Any idea what might cause this? It doesn't seem like a bad connection somewhere, since the flicker is regular, and nothing really changes it.

Back